You may recall that I had dinner at my cousin Karishma’s place a couple of weeks ago. We’re both equally into our foods and hence put effort into menu planning for one another. Wednesday night was my turn to play host.
Despite the lack of cool weather in Mumbai, I thought I would get in spirit of October and plan a fall-based menu starring pumpkin. That all went to pot when I finished my last bite of breakfast and I had a light-bulb moment: BRINNER! I was 97.3% convinced that my mom would veto the idea of ‘brunch for dinner’. Fortunately she was game so lo and behold:
- Cheddar & Vegetable Frittata
- Grilled Mediterranean Prawns
- Citrus & Oat Bran Slices & Toasted Rye Bread
- Truffle-Infused Grilled Vegetables with Flaked Almonds
- Pumpkin, Beetroot & Goat Cheese Salad
- Condiments (ketchup, mustard, hummus, tabasco, fruit preserves, peanut butter, dark chocolate peanut butter)
This may seem like plenty of food for 3 people but any Indian will agree that when someone comes over, serving only 1-2 dishes just won’t cut it!
You know these would have qualified as dessert, had my cousin not walked in armed with leftover birthday cake:
Result: I loved it, she loved it, and my mom loved it! When I have a family
of my own, I definitely want to start some traditions of our own such as designating one night a week as “Brinner Night”. Mark my words: the term ‘brinner’ is so going to catch on ha!
If you were inviting someone for dinner, what theme would you go with?