Whoop De Doo!

by Khushboo on October 4, 2011

I love cake, you love cake!  Heck, even my best friend Henna who hates all other forms of dessert (we bond over other things) loves cake!  While I’m an equal opportunist with cake, i.e. I would never turn one down, my ultimate favorite has got to be the one I indulged in on my 21st birthday:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake: think pieces of cookie dough swirled in the cream cheese and then topped with chocolate chip cookies.  Yes, it tasted as orgasmic as it sounds!

Courtesy of The English Cheesecake Company

One cake fad I never really got on board with is Red Velvet.  Sure I’ll eat it, it’s pretty to look at but it never left me ooh’ing and aah’ing.  Why red?? Essenc-ially (see what I did there ;) ) it’s just chocolate cake so why not green velvet or blue velvet??  Until someone has an answer for me, I’ll fill in the gaps with a healthy red velvet recipe!

Remember that episode of Sex and The City where Miranda starts off with slicing slivers, and then proceeds to eat the whole cake?  Let’s face it: there’s an inner Miranda in all of us, which is why I present to you a single serving of this novelty cake.  I believe the legit terminology for this dessert would be a Red Velvet Whoopie Pie:

I swear it was red in real life

I swear it was red in real life

Red Velvet Whoopie Pie

For the filling:

• 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
  • 3-4 drops Vanilla essence
  1. Combine the above together

For the cake:

• 10g Whole-wheat flour
  • 10g Oat bran
  • 2 heaped tspns Brown sugar
  • 1/2 tspn Baking powder
  • 2 tspns Cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons Beet juice
  • 45 ml Milk (I used soy)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3-4 drops Vanilla essence
  1.  Mix together dry ingredients, and then add in the wet ingredients.
  2. In a heated skillet, cook the mixture as a pancake.
  3. Once ready, cut in half and spread with filling
  4. Sandwich both halves together
  5. Take a bite (it tastes better if you use your hands ;) )
What’s the best you’ve ever had (cake, that is :P )?!

Parita @ myinnershakti October 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

YUM! This post has me drooling all over my keyboard. That cheesecake looks sinfully delicious!

The best cake I’ve ever had has to be a Chocolate Chip Banana cake from a small cafe in Atlanta. It’s actually pretty light tasting, and the combination of chocolate and banana is amazing, especially when they warm it up.

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Andddddd now your comment has me drooling on mine :-) !

Karina October 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm

The best cake i had was last weekend – a hot chocolate fondant cake with melted goey chocolate in the centre with a delicious scoop of hagaan daaz cookies and cream ice cream on the side – I pretty much died and went to heaven with each bite.

The Red Velvet pie looks yum – gonna get ingredients to make this weekend:)

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Gah that sounds ridiculously delicious…it’s gotten me thinking that perhaps I should have given some limelight to my other favorite cake: ice cream cake!

IHeartVegetables October 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Oh my gosh that is so cool!!! I can’t believe you made red velvet cake healthy!!!

Best cake I ever had… hm do cupcakes count?? Frosting (a local cupcake shop in VA) has the best cupcakes EVER!

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Cupcakes = portion-controlled cakes = definitely count!

Sara K October 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Stop stop stop; you accuse me of having too delicious food and then you not only post a picture of COOKIE DOUGH CHEESECAKE but also of Red velvet whoopie pie? I’m a sucker for cheesecakes and chocolate cake so the best cake I’ve ever had has to have been some form of one of those. I eat cake like every day so it would be hard to select just one favourite

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Haha cake every day–> I like your style ;) !

Tracy's Treats October 5, 2011 at 1:13 am

You had me at Red Velvet.

Ameena October 5, 2011 at 1:59 am

If you ever make it to Cheesecake Factory you wlil have to try my favorite cake: Godiva Chocolate Truffle Tower Cake (or something like that). It is the most delicious thing in the world!!

And yours looks and sounds delicious as well!

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Gah Godiva chocolates are insane alone so combine that with more sugar & cheese, I think it’s my idea of heaven!

jenandberries October 5, 2011 at 3:57 am

This looks so awesome, love the beet juice in there! I’ve never had red velvet cake…I think it may be an American thing but will have to try this, it is too healthy and nom looking to turn down!

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Yeah it’s definitely an American thing- I remember when I first saw it in London and told a friend in the States about it, it was old news! I’m pretty sure the beet juice counts as part of our 5-a-day ;) !

caloricandcrazy October 5, 2011 at 4:07 am

That looks like such an awesome cake! :)

Errign October 5, 2011 at 6:32 am

My family makes homemade ice cream cakes for birthdays that are pretty excellent :)

Khushboo Thadani October 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

<3 Ice cream cakes…I ordered one from Baskin Robbins for my last birthday: Chocolate cake filled with jamoca and cookies 'n' cream ice cream!

Ayesha Grover October 5, 2011 at 7:11 pm

omg – thats the cake you got me for my birthday!!! Its making me crave it sooo much and although I have gone off chocolate – I have NOT gone off cake!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 5, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Wow that cake is over the top! In the best way of course… looks delish and oh so decadent! Now that would be something I could see myself splurging on :)

Alexiasana October 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm

hey i just found your blog and cant wait to read more! The cheesecake looks great! I noticed your “live life to the fullest” statement- its also part of my blog description! I am also in India at the moment- hope to exchange some more cooking stories ;)

ecoprincess October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

“While I’m an equal opportunist with cake, i.e. I would never turn one down” haha I laughed so hard at that! I love it! :)

Maneka October 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’m currently loving the Red Velvet cake from Country of Origin in Mumbai! They’ve replaced the cream cheese icing with vanilla flavored icing topped with white chocolate flakes. Its excellent!