Breaking the fast

by Khushboo on November 12, 2012

**Wishing Everyone a Very Happy Diwali!**

As tomorrow is actually Diwali (and hence a public holiday), today feels more like a Faux Friday than a Monday :)!  Before it’s mithai galore all round (mithai = Indian sweets), let’s talk about breakfast for a second.  Up until I went to boarding school in 2002, I rarely ate breakfast.  When I did, it was more of a case of me munching on dry cereal or downing a bottle of Yazoo in the car.  When I joined boarding school, I immediately embraced the concept of breakfast.  It was hard not to given its spread.  I’m talking eggs, bagels, bacon, cream cheese, Nutella, assortment of cereals, fruit, milk, croissants, yogurt, waffles, pancakes, oatmeal….every.single.day.

I must be making up for lost time because breakfast is easily my favorite meal now.  I like it so much that I often eat it twice a day (brinner anyone?)!  It’s an easy way to set a healthy tone for the rest of my day.  Although overnight oats is one of my all-time favorites  I’ve recently been shaking things up on the breakfast front.

Some take-aways from this, for lack of better term, ‘experiment’:

• Despite my sweet tooth, I actually quite enjoy the occasional savory breakfast

Egg White Omelet with a side of Grilled Veggies & Fruit Preserves on Toast

• Even better if it involves a sweet & savory combo

Scrambled Eggs with Veggies & Toast with Feta & Fruit Preserves

• But for the most part, yogurt-based breakfasts are my favorite

Yogurt Bowl (plain yogurt, almonds, oats, cereal, applesauce & peanut butter)

• I forget how much I enjoy smoothies…and how filling they can be

Chocolate Protein Smoothie (Frozen melon, banana, chocolate protein powder, soy milk & yogurt)

PB & J Oatmeal Pancakes

• …but prefer the latter (must be a texture thing)

Oatmeal Waffles

• I love cereal & milk…just not as breakfast

[Hence no pic]

What’s your current favorite breakfast?

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health November 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I am big believer of breakfast and try to get something with carb + protein on a daily basis. I am huge oat lover and smoothies are my fav. I did chilled oatmeal frequently but since now I am not doing any dairy, I miss overnight oatmeal and smoothies. These days I am into omelet, toast, pancakes, & waffle. Its something about waffle, maybe a texture thing like you said, makes it so much better 🙂 on a random thought, I am craving pomegranate.

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Do you drink soy milk by any chance? If so I highly recommend overnight oats :)!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health November 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I just made a switch to coconut milk. I might try with that.

Khushboo November 15, 2012 at 9:45 am

Side note but if you’re a coffee drinker, coffee with coconut milk is YUM!

Alex @ therunwithin November 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I like breakfast foods a lot, just not at the breakfast time. I just am never hungry in the morning so I struggle to get food in me that early. Your breakfast look amazing though!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Breakfast works all day long in my books ;)!

Kat November 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Oh breakfast. I love me so breakfast!!
My breakfasts are all over the place, and totally depend on my mood and time limit! If I have time, then pancakes or french toast for SURE. If not, then oats or toast usually. And in the summer? CEREAL AL THE TIME. I can get so addicted to that stuff lol

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ohh how could I forget about French toast- I haven’t had some in ages but that needs to change!

Parita November 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Happy Diwali to you, K!!!

So, I wake up thinking about breakfast! During the weekdays, it’s usally a smoothie or oatmeal with banana and PB or eggs in some form. Pretty simple but delicious nonetheless! With all this breakfast talk, I’m hungry again!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Haha I knew I liked you for a reason :)….breakfast is my motivation for getting out of bed ;)!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oh and I also meant to add: HAPPY DIWALI to you too…wishing you all the best :)!

TorontoRunner November 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m going to need to get back into the breakfast habit after seeing these pictures!!

It’s soo bad, but I go in phases where I absolutely can’t function unless I eat about 15 minutes after waking up..or now, I’m in the phase of no breakfast. ach! Bad!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Bad, bad indeed ;)! I’ll happily eat your share in the meanwhile!

Alexandra November 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I. JUST. DIED. Everything in this post is making me drool haha!!
My current favorite breakfast…hmmmm probably scrambled eggs with almond butter and apple slices OR pumpkin waffles!! 😀

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Mmm both sound like great options…especially the eggs with almond butter!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Mmm breakfast. Big fan 😀 And I definitely agree that it shouldn’t be limited to first thing in the morning only… which is why, like you, I often end up having it for dinner… or even lunch 😉 Right now I’m kind of stuck on big yogurt messes with cereal, fruit, and almond butter. Sometimes I think about switching it up, but it’s so easy to throw together first thing in the morning… so I usually end up making things like waffles and pancakes for dinner 😀

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

You know my motto when it come to eating the same foods: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix ’em” ;)!

Brittany November 12, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I used to hate eating breakfast. I was never hungry, so I would skip it. How ever did I survive?! Now I can’t go more than an hour being awake without eating SOMETHING. My favorite right now is boiled potatoes, spinach, random veggies, some kind of protein whether it’s a fake meat or quinoa, mixed together and smothered in salsa and cayenne with toast and fruit.

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I love that your breakfasts aren’t the typical breakfast fare…as long as it tastes good, anything works!

Kailey November 13, 2012 at 3:27 am

Once in a blue moon I really really love having my savory breakfast of omlettes filled with cheese & veggies.

My favorite breakfast always involve peanut butter/empty nut butter jars

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Overnight oats in a jar is the best…and fortunately my jar is just about ready for a batch!

Alexis @ Hummusapien November 13, 2012 at 6:33 am

Usually I’m a savory person for breakfast….oats with eggs and hot sauce is my fave! But lately I’ve been craving pancakes which isn’t such a good thing because whenever I make a batch I feel like it ends up taking forever!! I love smoothies too, just not for breakfast 🙂

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Have you ever tried pre-making & freezing batches of pancakes? It could come in handy during weekday mornings :)!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 13, 2012 at 6:56 am

I completely agree–the best breakfasts are both savory and sweet! My morning just doesn’t feel complete without both, so I typically roll with eggs (well seasoned with herbs and/or hot sauce), sauteed spinach, and either a pumpkin/oat bar or toast topped with peanut butter or cinnamon + stevia. Mmm. I often have brinner in the evenings as well, however, when I do this, I usually keep it savory OR sweet–not both. Strange! I just realized that right now. 😉

When I was young, cereal was my go-to breakfast on school mornings, but now I use it only for snacking purposes. My current favorites: cinnamon chex (like a healthier version of cinnamon toast crunch!) and peanut butter puffins!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Haha not strange at all because that’s exactly how I roll too! No matter if my breakfast includes savory or not, there has to be some element of sweet! As for brinner, it’s one or the other! Guess we’re both strange 🙂

honeywhatscooking November 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

Happy Diwali K. Hope you have a great time celebrating. I’ve never experienced Diwali in INdia, I’m sure it is awesome. Love the yogurt granola for breakfast. My favorite breakfast is whole wheat toast with Pb and sliced banana with a cuppa. Love it. Didn’t know you went to boarding school. 2 of my siblings went to BS also, but in Massouri, India. Anyway, Happy Diwali again!!!

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Happy Diwali to you too, Nisha! Wishing you all the best for the year :)! And PB & banana slices on toast is classic!

Shreya @ rushofendorphins November 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

I love breakfast, it’s my motivation to get out of bed 😉 I usually love oatmeal because it can taste different every day when you switch up the toppings, and pancakes when I have the time!

And of course, happy Diwali girl! Have a great one! 🙂

Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oats are like a blank canvas- the options are infinite!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Feta and fruit preserves sounds soooo good! I need to go buy some feta – it’s been too long.

My current favorite is TVP Oatmeal. As evidenced by the fact that I post nothing else on my blog thee days. LOL!

Khushboo November 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I still need to try that…TVP in sweet form is new territory for me :)!

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign November 14, 2012 at 3:33 am

I love cereal and smoothies for breakfast!

Khushboo November 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Quick yet delicious!

Allie November 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I am SUCH a breakfast fan, I’m with you–once a day isn’t always enough! And I really hope yazoo was a typo or a product I haven’t heard of, ’cause Yazoo is a beer brand around here 😀 That would make for QUITE the breakfast.

I’m currently obsessed with yogurt for breakfast, too. Greek yogurt with lots of cinnamon plus fruit and/or squash? With some maple syrup? Yeah, I keep meaning to shake things up, but haven’t managed to get out of that way-too-enjoyable rut yet.

Khushboo November 15, 2012 at 9:47 am

Haha beer for breakfast- I’m not that hardcore ;)! Yazoo (at least my kind) is a brand of flavored milk…strawberry & banana were my favorite varieties :)! Love the sound of your breakfast…and it’s not a rut if you are still enjoying it!