The easiest way to snap out of a food rut…

by Khushboo on August 10, 2011

…is to have an aunt who loves you enough to invite you over for dinner and whip up something totally out of the ordinary.

I should probably add that she did ask whether I’d feature the dinner on my blog, which makes me wonder whether there was an ulterior motive behind it other than lurve.  Either way I’ll take it all, thank you very much! ;):

Japanese salad mixed with a sesame vinaigrette

Zucchini ‘pasta’ tossed in truffle oil, mixed herbs & pine nuts–>more about this another day

Sauteed prawns in a tahini marinade, crushed pistachios & cumin

and

Some unpictured cracker bread, selection of cheeses, and Swiss chocolate to round the whole shebang up

It all not only tasted fabulous &  gourmet, but it also reignited a drive in to me to get busy in the kitchen once again.  For someone who loves food (from eating to cooking, talking about, and apparenly taking pictures of 8) ), I’ve been in a major food rut lately. Although I’m still eating, I’ve lost my cooking mojo and don’t feel the same excitement during mealtimes.  Put it this way: for someone who thought she could subside solely on cottage cheese & hummus, I’m this close to burn out of these two foods :shock:!

So, AD, thanks for both a lovely Tuesday night dinner and inspiring me to unleash my inner Rachel Ray :)!

How do you snap out of a food rut?

Sara K August 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

That looks SOOOOOO GOOD! Zucchini “pasta” and prawns! Yum yum yum! You’re lucky to have such a creative auntie!
Haha ever since my mum found out about my blog, everytime she cooks/bakes something she’s like, “Aren’t you going to take a picture of it? Let me make it look nice!” And I”m like, “Mum I don’t photograph EVERYTHING I eat!”

Khushboo Thadani August 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Hahaha my mom is the same too…she tries to find the best angle and if there’s a pretty bouquet of flowers at home, you know she’ll have to include them in my photo!

KK August 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

remember the pact….zucchini ‘pasta’ for some ris’oat’o 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm

The pact still stands….come when it rains next- quite a ‘cozy’ meal!

Parita @ myinnershakti August 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I want/need that “pasta” recipe! Looks delicious! I try to find one new thing (usually a snack) at the grocery store every way. Keeps things semi-fresh and new.

Khushboo Thadani August 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Are u a cottage cheese fan? If so, new snack that I’m loving is peanut butter & jelly stirred into it with a few chocolate chips- protein packed, yet tastes like dessert! Zucchini recipe to come for sure 🙂

almostveggirlie August 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Food ruts are so annoying! I always end up repeatedly buying something until I just get tired of it and then it goes uneaten for a few months haha. I usually just try not to eat something I love every single day so I don’t get burned out so fast.

The Healthy Engineer August 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Your aunt knows how to make it work!! (too much project runway sorry)

My dad is the one who makes sure I get good lighting angles presentation etc etc. It’s so funny!

AD August 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hey KT, Thanks for the write up, though it was not my first intention – you do motivate us all into action, so great to have the innovation juices working. You know how i slipped up in between – KK thought I was dishing out slop 😉 Here’s to good eating, cheers! x AD

Maneka Chotirmall August 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm

All the food your aunt made looks so good! Loving the Japanese salad 🙂 I normally snap out of a food by just eating whatever my Mom makes! 😉 It really helps having a change of taste which eventually makes me crave all my usual foods!