What I typically eat in a day (II)

by Khushboo on March 30, 2015

A few weeks ago I posted a snapshot of what I typically eat in a day.  Since that received some good feedback, I thought I’d do another similar post.  In the past few weeks, I seem to have developed more of a plant-based diet with the occasional animal product thrown in (mostly fish or eggs).  I plan to put up a more detailed post on it in the future but for now, I’ll say it’s largely based on a change of tastes.  The idea of eating chicken doesn’t appeal to me like it once did & nor does the thought of burgers…crazy I know!  Maybe that’ll change soon, maybe not but for now I’m just embracing the plants:

Upon waking around 6.30 am: Hot water & lemon (unpictured)

Snack at 7.30 am: Some days I wake up hungry, other days not….on the latter, I usually have a few almonds pre-workout.

Almonds2

Breakfast post-shower at 9 am: Up until this morning, I had been drinking a green smoothie every morning for the past month or so.

Green smoothie2

This particular smoothie is a mix of 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, a frozen banana, ¼ cup raw oats, 2 teasapoons ground flaxseeds &  1 scoop Sunwarrior Warrior Blend (vanilla) protein powder.  With that kind of volume, you know there’s some xanthan gum in there too.

Lunch at 1.30 pm: I’m loving beans & lentils lately for lunch lately: socca flatbread, daal, bean burgers.  On  this particular day I went down the Mexican route after seeing my avocado was ready for consumption:

Burrito Bowl

Burrito bowl with brown rice, black-eyed beans, sautéed peppers, mushrooms, onions & olives…topped with salsa & avocado.

Snack 1 at 4 pm: Frozen grapes because I felt like something sweet–> if you guys haven’t tried freezing your grapes, please go so NOW after you read this post- they’re like drops of sorbet!

Frozen Grapes

Snack 2 around 5.30 pm: When I lived in London, I often used to buy a sandwich from Sainsbury’s called the “Bugsy Sandwich” which was hummus, rocket, grated carrot & alfalfa sprouts on wholemeal bread.  I somewhat replicated it as a snack, on Ryvita instead of bread.

Bugsy Ryvita

Dinner around 8/8.30 pm: 2 fried eggs with a baked sweet potato & grilled kale & mushrooms topped with nutritional yeast

Fried eggs, sweet potato + Kale

If ever there’s a shortage of kale in Mumbai, I take full responsibility.  And because I’m probably one of the most indecisive people you’ll ever meet, I half-fried one egg & full-fried the second.

Post-dinner: 2 squares of Lindt 70% & a cup of canarino on the side i.e. what you call hot water & lemon if you’re fancy ;).

Lindt & Canarino

As for drinks:

• A cup of black coffee post-breakfast
  • A cup of soy chai in the evening
  • Plenty of water & cups of herbal tea during the day

And that is that!

What is your go-to dinner when you can’t be bothered to cook?

What’s for lunch today?

Arman @ thebigmansworld March 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I am totally craving Mexican right now- A bowl of goodies sound so good!

I’ve been lazy the last few nights and have ordered fast food more than I’d like to admit…

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:51 am

At least you’re getting in some protein ;)!

Erin@BeetsPerMinute March 30, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Wow some good eats! I love the idea about the rocket, carrots, and hummus on a Ryvita. I love Sainsbury’s — you must miss it! My go-to when I cannot be bothered is a sweet potato. I just throw it in the oven and put anything I can find on top! It never disappoints me!

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:51 am

More than Sainsbury’s I miss Waitrose- such an amazing selection of quality food!

cat March 30, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Oh what I have never thought of grilling kale! Seeing as I always burn it in the oven its probably something I should try

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:52 am

Err go grill up some kill now!! Just keep an eye on it as it burns fairly quickly!

Kay March 30, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Hi Khushboo, I have a question for you. I’d like to know how you eat your almonds, that is do you eat them with the skin on or do you soak them and then remove the skin?
If you eat them with the skin, do you pre-wash before consumption?
Thank you!

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hi Kay, I roast my almonds to enhance their flavour and then eat them with the skin!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 30, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I’m sorry, I couldn’t read anything beyond you saying that the thought of burgers doesn’t appeal to you 😉

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hahah holla to bean burgers ;)!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan March 30, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Khushboo – you and I must be on the same wave length! Last night I was too tired to cook so I sauteed up some kale and had some eggs and some leftover lentil burgers for dinner! Kale and eggs have become a staple recently – while before, broccoli and eggs were a staple! I’ve been starting my day with hot water and lemon too – and wow – it is phenomenal at just settling my sensitive stomach (among other things)! Have you been doing the combo for long? I have only been doing it the past 3 months.

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:53 am

Hahah we are totes on the same wavelength, Shashi! I’ve been having hot water & lemon first thing in the morning for the past 3 years and I swear by it- nice way to naturally detox your system before the day even starts!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 30, 2015 at 6:07 pm

We must be riding the same wavelength because I’ve found myself naturally gravitating towards a more plant-based lifestyle over the past couple of months for the same reason — taste. That and I’ve been loving the way it makes me feel. I’m not entirely sure what lunch is going to be yet today, but I have a feeling it’ll involve rice, chickpeas, and a big ol’ salad.

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:54 am

You and me both! In the past, I would have expected to feel lethargic & “soft” because of not eating as much protein than I did on an omnivore diet, but I am feeling so good…don’t miss the meat at all!

Letizia@thefitlabel March 30, 2015 at 6:13 pm

All your eats look delicious! I am very impressed by your ability to make filling smoothies! I don’t know if I suck at making them or if they just don’t work for my body but they only keep me full for like an hour!

My go-to dinners when I don’t feel like cooking (which let’s be honest is almost every day of the work week) are: pasta with some veggies hidden in the sauce, stir fries with noodles and lots of teriyaki sauce, and on the days that I do feel like putting a liiitle more effort into my dinner lately I have been making risotto. It’s comforting so it’s the perfect food to eat now since it’s still pretty cold here in Switzerland.

Today’s lunch was a rice bowl. I am definitely on a rice kick! I had black Venere rice with zoodles and chicken breast, dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce. Kind of a random dressing but it tasted really good! I also finished my meal with an apple smeared with peanut butter because peanut butter is my favorite food ever.

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:55 am

Mmm both risotto & pasta are the ultimate comfort foods when the weather is cold. And high 5 on the mutual PB love ;)!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 30, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Love how varied your meals are! And this may be a silly question, but how do you grill kale? Would love to try!

When I can’t be bothered to really cook – our go to meal is whipped banana oatmeal with egg. 🙂

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

Not a silly question at all- i just spread it on a baking tray, coat the kale with cooking spray and grill it on 180*C for 8-10 minutes, until it has crisped up….definitely my favourite way to eat kale!

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli March 30, 2015 at 6:45 pm

That kale looks so good!!

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

It tastes fab!

Jess March 30, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Your food looks amazing! It is making me hungry! 🙂

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

Thanks, Jess!

Honey, What's Cooking? March 31, 2015 at 12:55 am

My goto dinner is eggs.. looks very similar to yours. Omelette or fried eggs, but I’ll usually do eggs.
Lunch today was thai – brown rice with chicken in a garlic sauce, didn’t feel too heavy. 🙂

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

Yum your lunch sounds so good- need to make something similar soon (with tofu instead of chicken)!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen March 31, 2015 at 5:21 am

Eggs with avocado toast is my go to dinner when I don’t want to cook. So good! Also I love your idea to cook your eggs two different ways – I mean, why not right?

Khushboo March 31, 2015 at 11:57 am

Why not indeed- you get the best of all worlds ;)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 1, 2015 at 12:17 am

I love burrito bowls and now I want one for dinner tonight and tomorrow and the night after that, and the night after that….. 🙂

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:13 am

I’ll join ya ;)!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 1, 2015 at 1:19 am

I haven’t tried freezing grapes before, but it does sound good. And I’m having a lunch very similar to your dinner right now! Love having eggs and veggies at all times of day! 🙂 Great eats, K.

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:14 am

You must get on the frozen grape bandwagon asap- you would love it 🙂

Lucie@FitSwissChick April 1, 2015 at 2:27 am

Oh, I would totally move in with you 🙂
I love your day of eats Khushboo, so creative and yummy.
Today for lunch I had fried rice with chicken and veggies in it, made by my co-workers wife. We use to bring big bowls of homemade food and just share it – since we are all athletes, we all eat more or less the same. I love it!

My go to meal is scrambled eggs or cooked shrimp on a salad. Easy and delicious!

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:14 am

My home is open to you, Lucie :)! I love the way your office functions- potluck lunches are the best!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 2, 2015 at 12:59 am

That Bugsy sandwich looks delish! And a lot like the sandwiches in CA. All the veggies!

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:14 am

I need to move to CA!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 2, 2015 at 7:03 am

I’m a big fan of beans and lentils for lunch, too! That’s one of the few foods that actually keeps me pretty full until dinner!

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:15 am

Good thing they are so quick to whip up too!! And versatile :)!

GiGi Eats April 2, 2015 at 8:30 am

I want some of your dinner! 😉 My go-to dinner when I ain’t cooking and I am STARVING — Spinach in a bowl with canned tuna jarred in olive oil. SO flipping good. I had it tonight actually!

Khushboo April 2, 2015 at 10:15 am

Ah I wish I like canned tuna- it would make meal prep SO much easier!!