What I typically eat in a day

by Khushboo on January 26, 2015

Hey guys! Going through my blog archives, I don’t think I’ve ever showcased what I typically eat in a day…at least not that I can recall.  As you guys know, I’m currently following Kayla Itsines’ 12-Week Bikini Body Program.  While her workouts do come with a H.E.L.P. Nutrition Guide, I’m not following it.  After years of experimenting, I know what works & doesn’t work for my body and I rather not be overly rigid with my eating habits. As of now, I don’t count calories, macros, points or whatever- my only method per say is to try and include some kind of lean protein, fruit/veggie, complex carb and healthy fat…most times it happens, some meals it doesn’t.  Of course please note that what works for one body might not work for others.  If anything, please use this as meal inspiration rather than a ‘One size fits all‘ guide. With all that jazz out of the way, here’s what I typically eat in a day:

Upon waking around 8am: Hot water & lemon

Hot water & lemon

Breakfast is usually between 9 & 9.30 am: Since I’ve decided to go without dairy once again (post coming soon), smoothies have been my go-to.

Strawb smoothie

Although there’s plenty “advice” against liquid calories, I  find smoothies keep me full for ages as long as I bulk them out.  A current favourite combination is 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk blended with 1 frozen banana, handful of frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup raw oats,  1 scoop Sunwarrior Warrior Blend (vanilla) protein powder & a pinch of xanthan gum.  For some healthy fats, I also ate some almonds on the side.

Post-workout at 12.45 PM: Coconut water

Coconut water

Gotta love the flexibility of working for yourself!  To allow my breakfast to properly digest, I tend to work out before lunchtime 3 days a week.

Lunch falls between 1.30- 2 pm:

Sweet potato, eggs, greens

99% of the time, my lunch will include eggs.  This plate consists of 1 whole egg & 3 egg whites, scrambled with nutritional yeast–> if you’re not adding this stuff to your eggs yet, do it!  I paired this up with baked sweet potato fries & steamed greens topped with some sesame dressing.

Snack 1 consists of some fruit, around 3.30ish pm

Pineapple & strawbs

I eat a 2nd snack around 5.30/6 pm.  My current favourite is crackerbread or rice cakes topped with natural peanut butter & some homemade applesauce (or fruit preserves)

PB Wasa + Applesauce

I eat dinner around 8.15/8.30 pm.  This is the one meal of the day which varies the most.  Many nights it involves quinoa.  This meal included cooked quinoa stir fried with broccoli, green beans, spring onions & chicken.  For an Asian flavour, I added in some soy sauce, sesame oil & flaked almonds towards the end.

QUinoa Chicken Stir fry

At one point I was eating a night-time snack/chocolate every day but I realised that was more out of habit than actual desire.  I’ve made a conscious effort to try and cut back on mindless snacking.  If I am hungry after dinner, a spoonful of peanut butter usually does the trick.

Liquid notes:

• I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning & then a cup of chai in the evening, both with soy milk
  • Adding in herbal teas, I drink about 3-4 liters of water daily

And that, my friends, is what I typically eat in a day.  Of course it will vary on the days I am eating out, which is usually 2-4 times a week.

What is your go-to breakfast? Lunch?

Do you count macros or calories?

Arman @ thebigmansworld January 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I love the variety here and will attest that smoothies for breakfast totally count, as long as they contain substance (I blame Amanda for that).

My go to lunch has recently been (I hang my head in shame) but legit a massive tub of cottage cheese, a handful of granola and some nuts. It’s been too hot for anything else!

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:56 am

Nothing wrong with that lunch- there’s always room for veggies later on in the day!

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli January 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Echoing Arman, it’s so good to see that you bulk up your smoothies as well! I recently tried a cinnamon cookie oats one by Gimme Some Oven, and it was delicious AND filling – although I’m a like-to-chew kinda gal myself ;).

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:57 am

Oh wow that oatmeal sounds amazing- YUM!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan January 26, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Your dinner sounds a lot like what we have for dinner about 4 nights of the week! And, I have to agree – during summer, I gravitate towards smoothies too – but now it’s usually oatmeal or oat pancakes or muffins and no – I don’t count calories!

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:57 am

Can I come over for breakfast :)?

Lucie@FitSwissChick January 26, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I love your day of eats Khushboo! I love the look of your smoothie, I definitely need to incorporate them more into my diet.
I do count macros, especially because of the intense CrossFit and Powerlifting trainings I do currently. Gotta fuel those guns!

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:58 am

I know counting calories/macros get a bad rep but I think they also have their merit so long as obsession doesn’t kick in!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 26, 2015 at 10:07 pm

It all looks delicious to me, although I’d swap the nutritional yeast for cheese and the egg whites for another yolk. What can I say, I love my little pleasures. Different strokes for different folks.

Often times I eat a smoothie for first breakfast, but I don’t pimp it out like you so I end up eating a second breakfast or a snack later in the morning. I should try adding some fats, nuts, maybe a little yogurt and see if it makes a difference. I suspect it will.

Thanks for sharing. I love seeing a full day of eats.

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:58 am

Oh would love to see how increasing the substance of your smoothie affects your appetite later on in the day- potential experiment?

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West January 26, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Hi K! I tend to eat the same breakfast every day, which is usually some form of overnight oats. And I also like to eat eggs for lunch. I could eat eggs any time of the day, to tell you the truth! 🙂 I don’t count my calories or macros either, but try to make sure my portions are fairly in check. And yes, I’m a tea girl too! 🙂

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 10:59 am

You and me both- eggs are an all-day food for me :)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 27, 2015 at 1:52 am

it was interesting to see your typical eats Khushboo! I love smoothies, but I find I need to throw some cereal on top because I need to crunch something. And definitely agree with the egg thing – I definitely eat them daily!

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 11:01 am

I sometimes throw on some cereal to eat over it and that crunch makes such a difference 🙂

Brittany January 27, 2015 at 4:59 am

I don’t count calories, I am 100% intuitive with my eats. Sometimes eating more than I need haha.

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 11:02 am

Awesome, Brittany!

GiGi Eats January 27, 2015 at 5:02 am

I used to eat eggs every single day of my life – but sadly I wound up becoming sensitive to them 🙁 But I am starting to introduce them back into my life because I love them too much!

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 11:02 am

Oh man I hope the hiatus has made you more tolerant of eggs, Gigi!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 27, 2015 at 5:21 am

I love seeing what people eat in a day!

I like eggs for lunch too, although I typically have a cheese omelette either with avocado toast or some form of potato on the side. And my breakfast is almost always oatmeal with banana and almond butter. 😀

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 11:02 am

Okay we need to eat together- your eats sound fantastic, Chelsea 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 27, 2015 at 6:06 am

I’ve been a HUGE, huge fan of smoothies for breakfast lately. I used to be big on oatmeal or something warm and grainy, but now it’s all bout the pimped out fruity smoothies. I eat my breakfast way earlier than you, though (usually around 5 or 5:30), so I need a second breakfast to tide me over until lunch 😆 And I’m with you on not counting calories or macros. I did that for long enough to have a pretty good idea of what I’m eating just by eyeballing it. Any more and it just becomes obsessive and unhealthy for me.

Khushboo January 27, 2015 at 11:03 am

I know what you mean! While I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with counting calories & macros, I do think that it can get healthy when it becomes an obsession…there’s a fine line which sadly many people cross!

Letizia@thefitlabel January 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I love seeing what other people eat!!
My go-to breakfast is oatmeal. Lately I have been making it with half a cup of oats, a sliced banana and a spoonful of coconut flour. It gives it an amazing texture. I top it with almond butter.
My go-to lunch is a bowl made with a grain, a veggie, a protein and a dressing made with some healthy fat. I am in a tahini phase and my current favorite dressing is: a spoonful of tahini, a splash of tamari, the juice of a lime and a little bit of apple cider vinegar.
I do not count calories at the moment. I have counted calories and macros for a long time but last year I decided to try intuitive eating and it has been working for me 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 27, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I’m nosy and I love seeing what other people eat! I’m working from home less these days, which is probably a good thing given how much I snack when I do haha

Parita @ myinnershakti January 28, 2015 at 4:14 am

Love how balanced (and delicious looking) all of your meals are! I don’t count anything anymore (mindset thing for me), but I try to bring as much variety to the table as possible.

My recent goal is to wake up 20 minutes earlier in the morning and make a hearty breakfast. We drink protein shakes in the morning, and while they keep me full for a few hours, I really want to bring eggs and oatmeal into the rotation!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 28, 2015 at 9:14 pm

I agree with you on the smoothies. If you add protein that totally keep you full. Everything looks delish!

Angela @ HonestlyAngela January 29, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Nutritional yeast in eggs sounds so good – i need to try that! I don’t count calories or macros, like you I try to aim for balanced meals the majority of the time.

Khushboo January 30, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Please try it asap- it’s SO good, Angela :)!

DSL June 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I’m a fellow Indian just starting Kayla Itsine’s 12 week BBG and very excited to have discovered your blog! Keep writing 🙂

Khushboo June 15, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Good luck with the plan!!