Smoothie talk

by Khushboo on June 26, 2014

I know June 21st officially marked the start of summer, but so does my recent choice of breakfast: Green Smoothies.  As much as I love eating spinach, I’ve always been on the fence about adding it to my smoothies- a veggie smoothie first thing in the morning hardly screams delicious.

photo 1

Guys, don’t let the green color fool you like it did me!  The added spinach makes absolutely no difference to the taste, yet boosts the smoothie’s overall nutrition like crazy!  From folate to fiber, iron, vitamin A and various other nutrients green smoothies are a nutritional powerhouse.  Here’s my current go-to combination:

Green Berry Smoothie

What You’ll Need

• 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • ½ – 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 cup berries
  • 1 heaped tablespoon ground flaxseeds
  • 1-2 handfuls of spinach

Add all ingredients to a blender & whizz until smooth.

For more smoothie ideas, you can check out the post I wrote last summer.

Overall I prefer to meet my nutritional needs through whole, REAL foods, but sometimes convenience wins.  Without dairy in my diet, protein powder is ideal for those mornings when I need a quick boost.  As a big Sunwarrior fan, I recently picked up a bag of their new-to-me variety: Sunwarrior Warrior Blend.  Unlike their classic powder which is made from brown rice protein, Warrior Blend consists of hemp, cranberry & pea protein.  Of all the protein powders I’ve come across, Sunwarrior seems to have the cleanest ingredient list i.e. no chemicals or funky sweeteners.  For those of you with intolerances, Sunwarrior is organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, hypoallergenic and non-GMO.   I’m really enjoying the vanilla flavor but if anyone has tasted (and recommends) chocolate, let me know!

photo 2

On a separate note, I was pleasantly surprised to learn about the Whole Foods’ product policy.  After mentioning my skepticism about trying Warrior Blend (and potentially being lumped with a poor-tasting bag of protein powder), the shop assistant informed me that I could simply return it.  Out of curiosity, I came home & checked on the Whole Foods site & sure enough:

If you are unsatisfied with a Private Label product due to unusual taste or consistency, please return it to your local Whole Foods Market for a full refund or exchange.

As if I couldn’t love Whole Foods any more than I already did!

What’s your favorite smoothie combination?

Do you use protein powder in your diet? If so, how?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan June 26, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Wait – Whole Foods Nationwide hast hat policy??? I wish I had known earlier! I got a couple packets of RAW protein once cos they were dairy free and – well, I could only stomach a sip! At least it wasn’t a huge container! These days my protein powder of choice is Click – they don’t advertise they are dairy free, but there mocha powder is the gentlest on my stomach …TMI? 🙂 I love spinach and kale in smoothies – their taste sure does disappear! I haven’t used ground flax before so I cannot wait to give your recipe a whirrr – thanks for sharing lady!

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I haven’t yet tried kale in smoothies- is the taste disguised as much as spinach?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan June 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Yes – My daughter cannot tell the difference when I mix it up with pineapple/bananas/raspberries or blueberries/protein powder/almond milk and a squirt of honey

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Ohh yummy! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Arman @ thebigmansworld June 26, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I love using protein powder and unashamed to use it- they are great in oatmeal and pancakes. Sunwarrior is a hit and miss with me- the vanilla is the only decent one but NOT as a shake lol- it reminded me of. um. dirt.

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hahah I haven’t yet had the pleasure of trying dirt 😉

Lucie@FitSwissChick June 26, 2014 at 3:35 pm

It’s been way too long since I made a smoothie. I usually go with a simple protein shake postworkout – definitely need to pimp it!!
I love to bake with protein powder or use it in pancakes. So convenient!!

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I need to try making pancakes with it- do you have a recipe on the blog?

Lucie June 27, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Yes, you can make this one – just replace the flour with 1 scoop of protein powder! http://fitswisschick.com/2013/11/19/crustless-surfturf-or-vegetarianquiche-nutbutter-fudge-pancakes/

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 8:42 pm

You’re a star- thank you!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health June 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm

i am not into protein powders but i love me smoothie, with berries and nut butter 🙂

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Mmm that sounds like a PBJ-esque smoothie 🙂

Nikhita June 26, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I usually add spirulina to my smoothies, since it’s a source of protein and it’s all-natural! I have to go to combos Khushboo, you should try!! Kale, chard, pineapple, grapefruit, flax and spirulina is one (the flax and spirulina add fats and protein) or almond butter, coconut water, banana, kale and cacao nibs (tastes like dessert!)

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm

These sound great, especially the second combo..can you taste the almond butter? I always consider adding it but then imagine its flavor will get hidden!

Nikhita June 27, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I think cause there aren’t that many strong ingredients, you can totally taste the almond butter! Give it a try!

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Awesome- I definitely will!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 26, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I love protein shakes. I always make them so think I have to eat with a spoon. Lately, I’ve been on a chocolate-beet bender (with kale). Maybe I’ll change it up this weekend. I have a ton of raspberries to eat.

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Ooh I definitely want to try the chocolate-beet combo…hello red velvet!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 27, 2014 at 4:11 am

I’m not the biggest fan of protein powder. It’s good in some snack ball recipes, but I find it so overpowering in smoothies. I much prefer my smoothies when the natural flavours are the highlight!

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I see what you mean- there are some combos (e.g. strawberry-banana) that I rather make without protein powder so that I can appreciate their flavors completely!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 27, 2014 at 4:44 am

I don’t like relying on protein powders, but I don’t mind adding them to my diet in small doses… usually for a little bit of taste and texture. And I’ve been obsessed with smoothies ever since the beginning of the year, but they work a lot better now that it’s warmer outside and I no longer have to eat them by the fireplace 😉 And when I say eat, I mean -eat-. If I can slurp it up with a straw, it’s nowhere near thick enough!

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Any tips for getting thick smoothies other than xanthan gum & frozen fruit?

ritika June 27, 2014 at 3:16 pm

drinking up spinach sounds good to me. and easy too.

and a little out of syllabus question, i often see you include unsweetened coconut flakes, where and how in India do you find them? is there a DIY method i could use?

much thanks 🙂

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Out of syllabus questions are always welcomed :)! I stock up on coconut flakes from London. I haven’t experimented with a DIY method…yet!!

Alex@Veggin' Out June 27, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I need to have a green smoothie again! I used to drink them all the time, but lately I’ve just been waking up wanting something warm. I know if I had a smoothie again though, I’d be reminded of how awesome they are and would be hooked. 🙂

Khushboo June 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I am well & truly hooked!

P June 28, 2014 at 5:42 am

Looks delicious! Especially with the toppings added in :)!

Khushboo June 30, 2014 at 3:16 am

It really is delish!

Brittany June 30, 2014 at 4:49 am

I rarely use protein powder, but if I do it’s in oats or a smoothie!! This look yummmooo, the greener the better!

Khushboo July 1, 2014 at 12:07 am

Agreed about the green love 😉