The Internet is one of the biggest oxymorons out there. Given the amount of knowledge available at our fingertips, the Internet is like an information superway. It also allows for things to get done faster than we could have even imagined 20 years. Er anyone remember fax machines? On the flip-side, the Internet has so much going on that each day it slowly, yet surely, sucks away at my time and productivity levels. Yes, I’m looking at you Mr. Zuckerberg and the founders of Twitter, Pinterest and now my latest obsession:
What exactly are these?
According to a highly reliable source (read: Urban Dictionary), First World Problems refer to problems from living in a wealthy, industrialized nation that third worlders would probably roll their eyes at. Apparently the politically correct term would be “White Whine”, although I’m not sure how politically correct that sounds coming from a brown girl 😉 .
If you need an excuse to procrastinate even more, check out the site. In the name of a bit of reality-checking and self-mockery, here are some of my first world problems* which I have embarrassingly enough voiced/thought about over the last few weeks:
- All the treadmills in my gym reset after 32 minutes, which means I have to manually add up the total distance I run
- I’m hungry for breakfast but it’s so hard to decide between a smoothie and waffles
- My BBM signal is stuck on GSM but I need it to go on to Edge so I can send out an E-mail
- Autocorrect changed my “lol” to “LOL”…now I just sound overexcited
- I let my egg cook for 1 minute too long and now the yolk isn’t runny.
- I’ve eaten all the Malteasers, Twix & Galaxy from my box of Celebrations and only the crappy ones are remaining
- I want to go for a swim but I just washed my hair yesterday.
- I want to go for dinner at 9 pm but the restaurant only offers 8.30 and 10.30 reservations
- I need to pay for my taxi ride but don’t have bills smaller than Rs. 500.
- We have too much food in our freezer so when we open it stuff falls out.
- I drank too much water and now I have to get up from my comfy bed during the night to pee!
- I’m fed up of clicking “Update Later” every time I open up iTunes.
- Why are X’s only worth 8 points while Q and J are worth 10 (Words With Friends).
- My Wi-Fi at home doesn’t reach out to my living room.
- I slept too much last night and now I just feel sluggish and lethargic.
- I have to walk to the end of the road because there is no parking in the compound where I work.
No one said being a privileged person in a developed nation was an easy job but somebody’s gotta do it ;)!
*Please note that the sarcasm behind this post; it was all meant in good humor*
What “struggles” have you been facing lately? It’s a hard knock life for all of us!