Travel favorites

by Khushboo on August 31, 2015

Hey guys! I’m back in Mumbai after an amazing 3 months away. Fortunately I nipped the jet lag in the bud by forcing myself out of bed at a reasonable hour on Saturday morning and given my OCD, I’m all unpacked and back to the grind.  Aside from being slightly overweight with my luggage, my journey back was smooth sailing.  Between the duty free shopping, napping, snacking and on-board entertainment, the 11-hour journey flew by.  Even though it’s not Friday, I wanted to share some of my travel favorites:

• I picked up a packet of this Clearpring Snack Organic Tamari Roasted Soya with Tomato & Herb on a whim at Whole Foods a few weeks ago out after a quick glance at its all-natural, pronounceable ingredient list and high protein content: 12g per bag.  They taste pretty bomb too, very similar to corn nuts.  My only regret? Only buying 1 packet!

Clearspring Snack Organic Tamari Roasted Soya

• Whenever I travel long-haul flights and know I’ll be sitting for extended periods of time, I try to fit in some kind of workout beforehand. Bonus is when the workout is intense enough to ensure I’m nicely exhausted by the flight. What better way to kill time on a flight than sleep ;)!  Thursday’s session included a HIIT workout of 20-30 seconds sprinting followed by a minute of walking for recovery, and I repeated this for 21 minutes…quick and dirty!
Gym clothes to wash

Story of my life

• Knowing I would likely not eat the breakfast served on the flight, I carried a piece of bread wrapped in cling film and a Pip & Nut single-serve squeeze sachet of peanut butter.  Talk about handy dandy!  I’d especially recommend these sachets to those of you who experience peanut butter ‘portion distortion’ – the struggle is real, friends!

Pip & Nut Squeeze Pack

• I usually always travel in loafers but to clear up space in my suitcase, I decided to travel in my relatively bulky Asics.  They might be not as chic as a pair of Tods but you just can’t beat the comfort…or my obnoxious color of choice ;)! Travelling aside, I really can’t say enough good things about Asics as a running shoe- this is my 8th pair so it’s safe to say that I’m a fan.

Pink Asics

And for a non-travel favourite that needs to be shared:

• Is it me or are s’mores everywhere these days. And by ‘everywhere’ obviously I mean Instagram ha! I finally got my fix before leaving London with a few friends and take my advice: rather than using the usual Hershey’s chocolate, keep it classy with Lindt instead- it takes s’mores to a whoooole new level!

S'more ingredients

What snacks do you carry on a flight?

What shoes do you usually travel in? Work out in?

Jess August 31, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I always fly in my runners! Great post! Now I want smores!

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:18 am

I could always do with s’mores ;)!

Parita @ myinnershakti August 31, 2015 at 11:19 pm

I usually travel in my TOMS. And my last two running shoes have been Saucony’s. It’s so nice to find a running shoe that works for your feet!

On another note, I can’t believe your summer in London is over! So glad we were able to meet up!

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:18 am

Me too- it was about time we met :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig September 1, 2015 at 12:59 am

I always travel in my trainers or big boots – need to save that oh so valuable suitcase space! I’m glad I’m not the only one who unpacks right away. I arrived at my new place in Florence at 1am and I unpacked right away. I don’t feel settled until I do!

Also, how did three months pass that quickly?! It feels like just yesterday we were having brunch!

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

Haha I feel you- I have serious suitcase OCD…I can’t sleep knowing that it’s not unpacked!! And seriously- time has flown so fast…I can’t believe you’ve already been in Italy for so long!

Roshni September 1, 2015 at 9:03 am

I like the backdrop for your asics! Loving the ysl. It’s on my wish list 🙂

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

Thanks Roshni :)!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape September 1, 2015 at 9:31 am

I hate when I find a new amazing snack somewhere but alas have only bought one! One of life’s major problems! Haha!
I usually like to travel in my Birkenstocks and take some socks to wear on the plane. But this time for the journey to Australia it had to be my trainers… Which I took off as soon as I got on the plane!!

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

Socks are a must for me when flying too- my feet get so cold on board!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 1, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I always travel in my running sneakers for two reasons: 1) Comfort: it keeps my feet cozy and allows me to wear socks so my toes don’t get cold and I don’t have to walk around the airport barefoot at security. 2) It saves me room in my suitcase because they’re usually the bulkiest of all my shoes. The only exception is boots in the Fall.

My travel snacks are usually granola and bananas. Nothing too fancy. If I need a meal, I find something at the airport and bring it on the plane.

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:20 am

Ugh I hate when they make you take your shoes off at security- even more so when I’ve recently had a pedicure!!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 2, 2015 at 4:58 pm

We could seriously do HALF the laundry we normally do if it wasn’t for gym clothes!!!

Those little nut butter packets are genius. For flights I usually bring and apple and some sort of protein bar. Although earlier this week when we flew back from Minnesota, I had a decent salad at the airport. It was mixed greens, radishes, quinoa, jalapenos, & cucumber!

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:20 am

Oh wow I’m impressed with the Minnesota airport- that salad sounds yummy!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 2, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I always try to get in a workout before sitting on a plane for hours too. It makes it more tolerable. And shoes… I try to choose the bulkiest ones so I have more suitcase room. Usually that’s my running shoes, but in the winter it’s boots.

Khushboo September 3, 2015 at 10:39 am

Travelling with my bulkiest shoes is definitely a strategy that I’m going to use more often when flying :)!

dixya | food, pleasure, and health September 17, 2015 at 2:59 am

i usually pack a small bag with nuts and dried fruits.

Khushboo September 21, 2015 at 11:35 am

You can never go wrong with trail mix!