Back in Bombay

by Khushboo on May 4, 2015

Hey guys!  I’m back in Bombay and back to reality…at least for now!  April was a rather epic month for me- as I blogged about, I spent a couple of weeks in Guangzhou & then made a pit stop back to Mumbai before flying to Dubai for a very special friend Nikita’s wedding.  She is someone I’ve grown up, starting Lagos and then London.  Even though we live in different countries now, nothing changes when we meet.  To sum it up, my trip to Dubai was surreal, amazing, crazy and basically words cannot do justice.  I’ll let a few pictures do the talking:

Chads + her squad

Chads Mehendi

Chads Sangeet Photobooth

Was Nikita a gorgeous bride or what!   Although I didn’t get to go to one of my favorite restaurants in Dubai Wafi Gourmet this trip, I more than got my hummus fix…for breakfast, for lunch, post-partying – you get the idea ;).

Mezze platter

Even though I drank more than usual and ate more indulgently, I didn’t feel the need to embark on any crazy detox, cleanse or no carb diet when I reached home.  I personally think that these kinds of occasions are part of the ebbs & flow of healthy living and you just gotta roll with it i.e. realising that it’s okay to actually enjoy those periods of excess and then just go back to eating your normal healthy diet when you’re back home.  I know it’s common to feel ‘bloated‘ or ‘so fat‘ after holidays but trust me- a few days of eating and drinking more than usual makes little difference.  The issue starts when you continue to overly indulge even once the holiday is over.  Over the past few days, I’ve been focusing on eating plenty of home-cooked meals filled with the good stuff like:

• Almond Butter Toast

Almond Butter Toast & Egg White Omelet

Bean Burger Bowl

• Millet Flatbreads (a.k.a. loli / koki)

Loli & chai

• Tofu & Veggie Stews

Tofu & veggie stew

At the risk of sounding like one of those crazy health nuts, veggies have been tasting so delicious!  If anything, holidays are a great reminder of just how clever our bodies are.  After a few indulgent days, they naturally start to crave real, wholesome food all over again, helping to restore the balance.   Oh and one more thing I’m focusing on is sleep…and lots of it!

How do you bounce back after a holiday?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 4, 2015 at 6:56 pm

I very much know the feeling of nothing tasting better than veggies after a period of going without them. But its great to have those breaks to make us realize that our bodies really do know what’s up and they’ll tell us what they need without us having to control things -too- much. It sounds like you had an amazing trip, lady. You all look so beautiful!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 9:57 am

Thanks so much, Amanda! It’s funny- we try to control our bodies so much & ultimately forget that that they are capable of doing their thang without too much pressure!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan May 4, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I couldn’t agree more with you – after a few days of eating stuff I don’t normally eat – just saying “Broccoli” has me salivating!!! Your friend is gorgeous and so are you – and wow that mehndi! Gotta love friends that remain the same no matter what time or distance exits!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 9:57 am

Thanks Shashi! Her mehendi was amazingly intricate!

Parita @ myinnershakti May 4, 2015 at 9:21 pm

The bride, you, and your friends all look amazing! Your pics are making me excited for my friend’s wedding at the end of the month. 🙂

And totally agree with you – there really is no need to go crazy after a few days (even weeks) off the healthy eating train. Even though I do try to purposely up my veggie intake after trips, I find that I don’t need to do much else. Our bodies are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:22 am

Thanks so much, P! Jealous of your upcoming wedding- they are always such fun!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen May 4, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I’m glad you had such a good month of travelling and fun! It’s always worth it to toss healthy living out the window for a few weeks and just enjoy yourself.

I tend to just eat as normal when I return home too – I find that after a few days of eating my regular meals, I feel back to normal!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:22 am

Same here- even just a day or 2 of eating normally makes such a difference!

Arman @ thebigmansworld May 4, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Welcome back buddy! You’ve had a whirlwind few weeks of travel! Glad you got some good eats amidst it all!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

And now I need to hear about YOUR travel, buddy!

dixya | food, pleasure, and health May 4, 2015 at 10:20 pm

i am so with you on indulging and being off the track on vacation and such..then i feel ‘fat’ but once i am back and eat good again, it all starts to level off. you are such a traveler..

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

Haha fortunately the next few months involve quite a bit of travel 🙂

Hayley McKenzie-Sealy May 4, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Looks like you had loads of fun!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

I did 🙂

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 4, 2015 at 11:43 pm

I love the henna; talk about some amazing detail work! I don’t know if I could have sat still long enough for it to all dry. I’d really like to have it done again someday though.

I’m with you when it comes to ebbs and flows with indulgence. It’s part of life and we should enjoy those moments before going back to our usual routine. Our bodies will balance themselves out. #eatalltheveggies!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

I’m a terrible Indian- the idea (and smell) of henna just really does not appeal to me!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 4, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Looks like you had a great trip!! I’m 100% with you – just returning to my normal habits have me feeling back to normal after an indulgent trip. No need for any crazy detoxes or anything!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:24 am

I always wonder what happens to people after the detox….there’s only so long you can eat/drinks so restrictively!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 4, 2015 at 11:56 pm

I know what you mean about veggies – when I got back from Australia, I was so excited to eat a big salad!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:25 am

Haha nothing like a holiday to make you feel excited about greens!!

Reshma May 5, 2015 at 1:26 am

I’m currently going through a pretty awful diet right now… studying makes me munch on anything and everything in sight!! Can’t wait to be done at the end of this week so I can get back to my “normal” self.

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:26 am

Ah good luck with your exams Reshma- and make sure you “treat” yourself to a salad after they are done ;)!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 5, 2015 at 7:50 am

Usually after a vacation or trip, I’ll try to just cut out alcohol and treats. Other than that, I usually just keep eating what I normally eat! I guess it’s all about balance 🙂

Sounds like you had a great time!

Khushboo May 5, 2015 at 10:26 am

Looks like we share the same approach, Liz 😀

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape May 5, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I find it sooooo easy to go back to normal eating after a holiday – my body always wants greens for breakfast lunch and dinner! Haha! Kale is my go to hangover food… Seriously!
What a beautiful bride… And that henna is amazing!

Khushboo May 7, 2015 at 11:14 am

Gah I wish my hangovers were like yours- my body seems to want anything but kale at that point ha ha!