Thailand transit takeaways

by Khushboo on April 9, 2015

Ni hao from Guangzhou, y’all!  Well more like ni hao from the flight to GZ, but by the time I hit ‘Publish’, I’ll be there.  Given my journey consisted of a 4-hour fight to Bangkok, a 5-hour transit and then another 3-hour flight to GZ, I expected to be losing my mind by the end of it all.  Fortuntately that’s been far from the case.  This was my first time transitting in the Bangkok airport and it was rather pleasant..at least as pleasant as can be.  I’m heavily caffeinated & all snoozed out so to kill time on board, I thought I’d share some Thailand transit takeaways:

• Free Wi-Fi for 2 hours sure beats the mere 30 minutes that Dubai’s airport offers.

Bangkok airport

• There’s a reason why Thai massages are spoken so highly about…and fortunately they are really well-priced at the airport: 30 bucks for a 1-hour shoulder & foot massage.
  • The Bangkok airport has your back where cardio is concerned- I’ve never walked so much in any airport to find food.

Greens - Thai

• Fortunately there is a Starbucks, even it took us about 45 minutes to walk there.  I love trying local coffeeshops/restaurants but when it comes to that first cup of coffee, consistency is key.
  • Screw Whole Foods, the Bangkok airport is where it’s at for buying fun snacks: I picked up some snack packets of Tom Yum & salted flavoured toasted edamame along with Green Curry flavoured rice cakes.

Thai Snacks

• Lindt is crazily overpriced: a 200g box costs almost $30!
  • The airport  is fahhhh-reezing!

Pad Thai

On a completely different note, it’s totally all about airlines which build in phone chargers on each seat- lifesaver!

What’s your favourite airport? London Heathrow #nobrainer

What’s your favourite Thai dish?

Arman @ thebigmansworld April 9, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Totally Thai food for breakfast especially it’s cold, leftover pad Thai from the night before šŸ˜‰

Go to KL Airport….That is a bloody workout just to get your back and then to get to your gate. I can’t remember Heathrow but I do love Singapore! Hope you’re safe and sound and digging some tom yum šŸ˜‰

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

We’re totally on the same wavelength- pizza & noodles always taste bed the next day and served cold!!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan April 9, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I am thinking they keep it freezing so people don’t get extra sweaty from all that walking – cos, really no fun in sitting next to that sweaty person on a long flight! I was under the impression our Atlanta Hartsfield Airport was one of the biggest and longest – but, they have flat motorized little belts that you can stand on and be whizzed from one gate to another, in addition to the trains inside the airport. Of course, you could opt to walk – but unless you are an hour or 2 early, you are guaranteed to miss your flight if you decide to walk.
I hope you do a post on your snacks there – I am so intrigued by those green curry cookies!

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

OMG ATL aiport sounds awesome- so efficient with the belt & trains!!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig April 10, 2015 at 1:47 pm

I was just at Dubai airport yesterday! My layovers always seem to be at around 2-3am local time, but the airport is surprisingly alive at that time. I thought there was a lot of walking involved there – I can’t imagine walking 45 minutes to find Starbucks!

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hope you got some Pinkberry during your DXB transit ;)!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 11, 2015 at 2:05 am

Free wifi makes a HUGE difference! haha nothing makes a layover go by faster than some free internet surfing šŸ™‚

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I couldn’t agree more!! Nothing like social media to keep you entertained ;)!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen April 11, 2015 at 4:41 am

Free wifi at airports in the best! Now if only I could actually get it ON the plane.

I can’t eat out at Thai restaurants so my experience with Thai food is limited. I’ve never even had pad thai! I love fresh shrimp spring rolls though.

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Believe it or not, wifi has been available on the last few flights I flew on…sadly it wasn’t free though!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 11, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I’m pretty sure I would have dropped $120 and gotten rubbed down for the entire four hour delay. Heh, heh.

They actually have free wifi on the Greyhound bus now so I’m digging traveling that way. It’s cheap and I can either get work down or curl up with a good book and relax. I generally try to squeeze in a little bit of both. šŸ™‚

Khushboo April 11, 2015 at 8:26 pm

That would definitely be $120 well spent! And free wifi on a bus sounds amazing…I bet the time flies by!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 11, 2015 at 9:14 pm

My little sister just got back from Thailand. I have to go ask her about the airport now. I’m still in awe of the pics of her riding elephants!

Khushboo April 16, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Oh wow- I bet she had an epic time!

Louise Letsome April 14, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I would definitely walk 45 mins to get a coffee, and you can always rely on Starbucks! I’m quite shocked about how much Lindtt was?! I do love Thai food, not sure I could say what my favourite is!

Khushboo April 16, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Haha we need one of those “Will walk for coffee” t-shirts!