Weeks 1-4 of Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Program

by Khushboo on January 19, 2015

Hello friends! I’m officially going into my 5th weight of the Kayla Itsines 12-Week Bikini Body Program as of today.  As the workout structure slightly changes for weeks 5-8, I thought today would be a good time to recap on weeks 1-4 of Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Program.  As mentioned in my earlier post, weeks 1-4 entailed the following each week:

• 3 Resistance Sessions, as outlined in her e-book
  • 2-3 Low-Intensity Steady State Cardio (LISS) Sessions
  • 1 Stretching Session

Kayla Itsines

Source

Overall I’m really pleased with how these last few weeks went.  Fortunately a handful of my friends are also doing the program, which has helped to keep me motivated. I was in Dubai during week 3 and athough I completed the workouts as listed, I felt like I half-assed them due to lack of sleep.  As a result I repeated the workouts from week 3 when I returned to Bombay.  If I’m going to commit to a program, I rather  do every workout to my best ability so I see maximum results, even if that means I finish later than planned.

Initially part of me remained skeptical that a 28-minute workout could be tough, but I am eating my words now.  Kayla really makes sure each minute of the resistance workout counts.  Walking outdoors has been my go-to for the LISS workouts.  I’ve really embraced it & I tend to do 4 LISS sessions a week.  Most of the time I walk with a friend so it’s a great way to catch-up – win win!  On the days I’m walking solo, I’ve been listening to the Serial podcast- have you guys heard it?  I’m currently on Episode 4 and am hooked.  It’s definitely something worth downloading, especially if you find yourself getting bored during cardio.

Serial

Source

As for some differences I am noticing:

• Fitness:  Weeks 1 & 3 follow the same workouts as do weeks 2 & 4.  Especially as the workouts seemed easier in weeks 3 & 4 and I was able to complete more rounds in the allotted time, that alone is enough proof that I am getting fitter.  I know with these kinds of programs people are instantly drawn towards aesthetic benefits, but the changes in fitness levels are definitely worth mentioning too.  It’s amazing to see what your body is capable of within a few weeks and to be able to complete workouts which initially scared you.
  • Appearance:  While the scales are a great indicator of weight loss, I take scale weight with a pinch of salt.  The measuring tape & photos are more accurate for me.  Although I’ve lost merely 0.5 kgs on the scales, I have been taking weekly photos and I was amazed to see a difference after week 1 alone.  I won’t be posting any photos of myself, so you’ll have to take my word on this ;).

For a fair review I’m trying to think of some aspects of the program which I’m not loving, but the only points that comes to mind are a few of the exercises:

• Raised reverse lunges x 30 reps (15 per leg)
  • Jump lunges x 30 reps
  • 4 Mountain climbers with 1 push up x 15 reps

That’s just me being a wimp though :).  Overall I’m loving the structure of the program & the results I am seeing so far.  Especially as work has recently gotten super busy, I am all about the efficient workouts.  I had a flick through the workouts for the next few weeks and looks like I’m in for a treat *eep*.  Along with the workouts becoming more intense, the number of LISS sessions now increase to 4-5 per week.

A typical dinner

A typical dinner

As I mentioned in my initial post, I am not following Kayla’s H.E.L.P Nutrition Guide.  Instead I am just focusing on eating a diet full of whole foods & balanced meals.  I was thinking of doing a post showcasing a standard day of eats, so let me know if that’s something you guys would be interested in seeing.

What’s on your workout agenda for today/this week?

Arman @ thebigmansworld January 19, 2015 at 2:28 pm

As long as you don’t take Niki’s approach to the program, I think you’re going to have success. Like you, those exercises you listed I would call out too purely because I don’t like doing them haha! I’m going to do back tomorrow and I’m excited to do pull ups.

Also…I’m offended that peri peri sauce isn’t even the chilli one. 😉

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:19 am

Hahah I’m such a wimp at Nandos- sometimes even the lemon & herb feels spicy!!

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan January 19, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I am all about quick strength workouts myself – most of P90X3 workouts are 30 minute ones as are some of The Beast workouts. I am curious though – how long are those LISS workouts? -I am so sorry if I missed the part where you mentioned that. I amnot a fan of the scale either – so glad to hear you are having such good results – specially in fitness! Btw, I tried those lying down pushups you mentioned last time and phew – they definitely were NOT easy!
This week, am taking a break from strength workouts and gonna focus on cardio – my head needs it! 🙂 Hope your week is wonderful!

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Ah I’m glad you feel my pain with those freakin’ lying down push-ups! The LISS sessions should be 35-45 minutes but I tend to do between 45 minutes to an hour!

Letizia@thefitlabel January 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your thought on the BBG! It has gotten very popular here in Switzerland and a lot of my friends are following it. I am not one to follow workout programs because I have what I call “workout ADD”. I can never finish a program because I get bored. Currently, my workout routine looks like this: 2 quick strength workouts, 2 yoga sessions and sometimes a run (about 10 km). I also ski on the weekends, so that takes care of my cardiovascular fitness 😉
I am glad you are not following the BBG meal plan because IMO it looks a little restrictive. Your whole foods & balanced meals approach sounds much saner and your food pictures are always very inviting.

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:21 am

Thanks for your comment, Letizia :)! So jealous that you have skiing as an option- so much more appealing that hitting up a treadmill ;)!

Linda @ The Fitty January 19, 2015 at 4:07 pm

How hard is her program compared to Blogilates? Seems like something id want to try but I hate easy workouts–I want to cut to the chase and really feel the burn!

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:22 am

The beauty of it is that it’s completely customisable to individual fitness levels. You can make it as hard as you want depending on the weights you choose and number of rounds you do per circuit.

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen January 19, 2015 at 6:38 pm

That’s great it’s working out for you! I can definitely attest that short workouts can be killer. Whenever I do one of Jillian Michaels’ 20 minute workouts from her 30 Day Shred video, I’m dead by the end of it!

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m definitely going to look into JM’s videos when I’m done with the 12 weeks- I’m pretty sure she would make each minute count too!

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli January 19, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I’m interested in the BGG. but I feel like I’d be afraid of losing my cardio fitness…even though I don’t know why; it’s not like I’m training for anything! Would you say it’s worth it?

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:24 am

If anything, I think it might help boost your cardio fitness- all those burpees and other jumping exercises have got to count for something 😉

Parita @ myinnershakti January 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Vishnu and I did yoga this morning! It was great to stretch, but more importantly do something with him.

I have been thinking a lot about this workout plan and while I don’t think I’m going to sign up in the next few months, I think it’ll be perfect post-move. Can’t wait!

And YES to Serial. Such an amazing podcast. 🙂

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:24 am

I love that you guys did yoga together- it makes waking up to work out so much easier!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 19, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I want to see pictures! And a full day of eats too please 🙂 It all sounds like too much work for me – I like my five minute rest periods haha

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hahah I can show you food pics but am still on the fence for transformation pics ;)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 20, 2015 at 12:38 am

You know I love my Serial podcast. I’m glad you checked it out.

Also, kudos to you for sticking through the program and seeing results. That always helps further motivate me.

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:25 am

Thanks Meg! Results are definitely a huge motivation to keep going 🙂

Brittany January 20, 2015 at 8:19 am

Right now I’m just half marathon training, and doing spin classes in between.

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:26 am

Sounds good to me 🙂

cardiogirl82@saltandpepperthearth.com January 20, 2015 at 10:10 am

Daily running workouts with some yoga thrown in about twice a week. I don’t know if I could handle this workout program…sounds intense! Definitely don’t go by the scale because the numbers can fluctuate for reasons other than weight loss or gain. Keep up the great work!

Khushboo January 20, 2015 at 11:27 am

Sounds like a good mix of workouts to me :)! These workouts are definitely more intense to what I was used to but mentally I’m ready for the challenge each week which definitely helps!

Lucie@FitSwissChick January 20, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I definitely would love to see a full day of eats!! And an introduction to how you make these potato skins looking so crispy???

Khushboo January 21, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Ohh they are SO easy. I just cut them into chip shape & boil them for 2 minutes. After draining the excess water, I just coat with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until they have crispened up!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 21, 2015 at 2:50 am

I’ve got to get on the Serial thing. Everyone is raving about it!!!

Khushboo January 21, 2015 at 8:13 pm

You must!

GiGi Eats January 22, 2015 at 10:45 am

Show us your eats YO!!! 🙂

Khushboo January 23, 2015 at 10:40 am

Stay tuned 😀

Kim May 3, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Hi everyone.
I know this is a bit of an old post but I was wondering if anyone is still following Kayla’s guide? Is it worth the money?
I’m thinking about buying it but I’m a bit worried because there are so many mixed reviews. I just finished reading http://www.bikinibodyguidereview.com and she has some good points about the price. Also has anyone tried the alternative she mentions?

Would love if you or one of your readers could reply with some insight.

Thanks,
Kim

Khushboo May 5, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Hi Kim! Thanks for reading :)! Take a look at my post on why I stopped Kayla’s guides: http://kthadani.com/2015/03/09/why-i-stopped-kayla-itsines-bikini-body-program/