3 Days in Paris

by Khushboo on June 16, 2014

Hi guys!  Glad you enjoyed my post on Thursday on how French people stay slim.  While I don’t think there’s a one size fits all approach to food, I definitely think that we can all learn a bit from the Mediterranean style of eating.  As I mentioned, I was in Paris last week for 3 days.  Courtesy of brother, it was the one of the best birthday gifts I’ve received yet!  Given my multiple failed attempts, thank goodness he speaks French fluently.  Every time I tried utilizing whatever I learned in IB French, I ended up speaking in Hindi instead.

photo 1

Trains are definitely the new planes when it comes to travel- the 2.5 hour Eurostar journey seemed almost too convenient.  Aside from a couple hours of pouring rain when we reached, the weather remained fabulous- think crisp blue skies & blazing sun.  I’ve never been big on French food per say, but this trip sure changed my mind.  A few points about the food during our stay:

• Croissant breakfasts  trump oatmeal/cereal
photo 4

Eric Kayser

• Baguettes are sold like water in France…and give a whole new meaning to the term ‘bread’

photo-135

• The best kind of dining experiences come in 3 courses:
Les Fines Geules + La Plage Parisienne

Les Fines Geules + La Plage Parisienne

• Portion sizes are even smaller than in London.  However between eating multiple courses & the richness of the meals, the portions were perfect for me.
  • The relatively small-sized glasses of wine & cups of Americanos, however, were not perfect for me.  My go-to line with every coffee order was:  Il est possible d’ajouter plus d’eau, s’il vous plaît (=Is it possible to add more water please)?
  • With flavors like almond, coconut, and dark chocolate, sorbets are no longer just fruity, lactose-free alternatives to ice cream:
Le Bac a Glaces

Le Bac a Glaces

Aside from eating our way through Paris, we also walked our way through the city.  Especially as we were out of the hotel by 8:30 AM each day, I’m pretty sure we covered at least 15-20 km on foot daily.  With every building and monument more beautiful than the last, I naturally went photo happy…as any other shameless Instagrammer would ;).  A few of my favorites include:

Arc de Triomphe

Arc de Triomphe

photo 3

Eiffel Tower

Love Lock Bridge

Love Lock Bridge

The Louvre

The Louvre

photo 1

The Mona Lisa

The Mona Lisa

Especially as it’s not every day we get to run down La Seine, we also managed to fit in a run in Paris.  With the Louvre on one side of me & the Eiffel Tower on the other, it will definitely remain one of my most memorable runs yet.   I was sad to leave Paris, but my feet were thrilled- all that walking left them covered in blisters and in dire need of a pedicure.

photo-136

So much deliciousness & so much culture!  Paris, tu me manques (=Paris, I miss you)!

What city is next on your bucket list to visit?

z June 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Awesome post K!!! Traun journey is certainly amazing, went to euro disney two yers ago.
xoxo

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Thanks, Zainab!

Arman @ thebigmansworld June 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Oh baguettes….I could live off them. When I was home in Melbourne, mum got me a couple of mini ones from the French patisserie- so good!

I laughed at your coffee notion- I did that too- especially because une espresso was cheaper than a ‘cafe American!’

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Who woulda thought that water could be so expensive!!

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan(dot)com June 16, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Paris is definitely on mine! Wow – what an awesome 3 days! And those sorbets!!! As a connoisseur of all cold, sweet, dairy free treats – those sorbet flavors AND your run through the streets of Paris have me so looking forward to being there – next year!!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm

You will have such a blast, Shashi- I am excited for your trip 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Looks like an amazing trip – what an awesome birthday present!!! Can we trade siblings? Haha.

Paris and the rest of France are definitely the next places on my travel bucket list. And I actually may get the chance to go in September if I haven’t found an RD job yet!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm

For the sake of Paris, here’s hoping you find an RD job post-September!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Ahhh looks like so much fun!! I’ve told Eric multiple times that I need a trip to Europe in my near future.

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Make sure London is one of the European cities you select 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Reading this made me realise I hardly took any pictures when I was in Paris! It was my third time there, so I didn’t go crazy. Almost all of my pictures were of food or selfies – not much difference to normal life, then 😉

Send me a text (I lost all my numbers) and we can arrange a meet up this week!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Just messaged you 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti June 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm

What a great brother you have! Such a fun trip. I’m definitely going to try to extend my next work trip to London and include a side trip to France.

Next on our travel list is Italy. Vishnu and I are hoping to make the trip next year. I honestly can’t wait!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Oh wow, Italy will be amazing- it’s on my bucket list too!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 16, 2014 at 8:38 pm

That picture of the Eiffel Tower makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I haven’t been to Paris since I was a tiny little thing (7? 8?), but I would kill to go again… especially now that I can appreciate all the food and culture that the city has to offer. And as much as I love my oatmeal, I’m going to have to agree with you that croissants would probably trump it. But only in France!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Now that I’m back in London, I have no desire to pick up a croissant…but when in France, it’s the only thing I want for brekkie!

Lucie@FitSwissChick June 16, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Oh Paris!!
I miss my time at Swissair when I was a Flight Attendant and flew to Paris so many times. It is just magical.
You look like such a fancy jetsetter. I want to travel with you!
Next city I will get to visit is hopefully New York. If that doesn’t happen it’s Berlin or Sydney – not too bad either!!

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Ohh I’m hoping to make it out to NY next year- hopefully our dates collide!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 16, 2014 at 11:25 pm

It all looks amazing!!! I must got back, and for more than a day this time.

The next one I visit outside the US will be in Italy, but my bucket list? That’s somewhere in Thailand! I really want to take a cooking course there.

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Have you been to Thailand before? I went when I was too young to remember/embrace it, so I definitely want to revisit the place so I can appreciate it fully!

P June 17, 2014 at 12:52 am

The trip sounds like it was so wonderful and definitely memorable! That sandwich in the second picture makes a Subway footlong look puny 😛

Khushboo June 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Haha bigger and 1000x better tasting than Subway 🙂

Rebecca June 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Had to comment because I’m doing basically the same thing in a couple of weeks: 3 days in Paris, via the Eurostar train from London. I’ve never been and I’m really excited to practice my baby French language skills (I’ve only taken about a year but I’ve been working hard). Your pictures are making me excited!

Khushboo June 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Oh you will have a blast- hopefully the weather is fabulous while you are there!

Shelly June 17, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I had fun following along on your Instagram while you were in Paris. It looked beautiful! I haven’t been to anywhere in Europe, so I would pick any cool European city on my current bucket list.

Khushboo June 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Glad you enjoyed the photos- Europe is so beautiful!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 18, 2014 at 2:32 am

Je t’adore.

I want to go back to Paris now. I haven’t been in 20 years and yes to the baguettes. The simple cheese sandwich I got in the train station would have put some US sandwiches from restaurants to shame.

Khushboo June 18, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Pshhh the French mean serious business when it comes to sandwiches 😉

vuppala gopinath June 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Lovely blog again. If all goes as per plan I should see this city this year. This blog will help me to see what needs to be seen and save my time.

Khushboo June 23, 2014 at 11:32 pm