The REAL reasons why I prefer running outdoors

by Khushboo on July 17, 2013

I don’t mean to brag but I’ve been getting in some seriously good runs lately.  Since temperatures in London have reached over 30°C, I looked online for tips on running outdoors in the heat.  Some pointers which I came across include:

1. Invest in light & loose-fitting clothing
  2. Wear sunscreen to protect yourself from skin cancer
  3. Run with a hydration belt
  4. Choose a route which involves rivers, lakes, and ponds as it’s usually cooler by the water

Another surefire way to beat the heat is to run early morning or late evening.  When I stepped outside on Monday evening, it was still way too hot. I took it as a sign to indulge in some retail therapy and satisfy my frozen yogurt craving, even if the latter meant running the risk of suffering a stitch during my run.  You learn something new everyday and on Monday, I learned that fro yo makes excellent workout fuel ;).

photo 2

Chocolate & Natural Swirl – SNOG

Running on a treadmill is another solution for summer running but I just can’t do it anymore, nor do I want to.  Honestly I don’t know how I once ran 16 kilometers at the gym– kudos to me 2 years ago ;).  Aside from the obvious reasons (i.e. better scenery & more entertaining), I’ll tell you the real reasons why I prefer outdoor running to the dreadmill treadmill:

• You can people-watch without things getting awkward: you’re gone by the time the other person realizes
  • It’s an easy way to top up your tan
  • Provides you with Instagram content

photo-55

• You can plan your route so that it ends right outside a supermarket…or Starbucks
  • It’s a breath of fresh air…literally
  • Efficient way to sightsee

photo 1

• When others screech “You ran in this HEAT”, you can answer a smug “yes”…and feel more bad ass than ever before

How do you stay cool when working out outdoors?

z@ kickingkilos July 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm

well with Big Ben as an Insta contentwhy run inside?
Sadly I now fear running outside as I have gotten wayyyy to comfy with my dreadmill.(cars-cabs etc scare me)
I still dont think i could do a 16K….wow to that.

That yogurt lookes yum.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:14 am

You can’t beat the safety aspect of the treadmill in terms of transport 🙂

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I 100% agree with EVERYTHING!! I get a mini-depression only by the thought of a treadmill. I sometimes to sprints for 20 minutes with LOUD music and that’s the only thing I can accept in connection with a treadmill 🙂
And I LOVE running outdoors. Especially early in the morning, this is the time I mostly run. I ran in so many different places in the world and every run was a special experience. I love nature, the fresh air, the variety in trails, that you can stop and do strengths exercises in between anywhere – and it just feel SO good when returning back home.
We should run together one day!!

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:15 am

That would be awesome…although not too fast so that we can chat while we run 😉

dixya@food, pleasure, and health July 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm

i absolutely hate running the treadmills but sometimes I just do it when the weather is unfavorable. I enjoy late evening runs and yes having yogurt zone around and sight seeing really helps.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:16 am

I used to be a morning runner but I’m starting to embrace evening runs lately too!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 17, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I actually used to prefer the treadmill because I found it easier to run on it, but now it’s the opposite: my stamina is so much better outside! I haven’t been running outside lately though because it is just way too hot – even in the early mornings!

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:16 am

I’m totally with you- we’re one of the few who find it easier to run outdoors…my pace is also noticeably faster outdoors! 🙂

Parita July 17, 2013 at 6:07 pm

The only way to stay cool during an outdoor workout in Miami is to wake up SUPER early! The mornings are absolutely beautiful – there’s even a breeze if you run by the water! AND not as many people are out so it’s pretty peaceful too!

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:17 am

Running first thing in the morning on empty streets might be one of the most peaceful starts to a day!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I’ve been avoiding the outdoors as much as possible lately – humidity is supposed to hit 45 degrees today! Way to much to even be outside, let alone exercise in it…I go for 15-20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill. I can’t do distance on it anymore though! Any more than 20 minutes and I kind of want to cry.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

45 degrees?? And here I am whining how hot I am and it’s only 32*- shame on me!!

Alexis @ Hummusapien July 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Hahaha love that you said it provides you with instagram content! I haven’t been running much lately…the humidity here is crazy. A run that ends at a supermarket or Starbucks sounds like a fabulous run to me!

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

Haha it’s all about finding insta-tunities 😉

Brittany July 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Running outside is AMAZING! I hateeee running inside these days. I do struggle in the heat though, so I gotta get out there early, or if I am only running a 3miler I can go in the heat, but want to die when it’s done! Ending a run at the store is the best…

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:18 am

And carrying the bags home gives you a good strength training workout to end the workout 😉

Lisa July 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm

That’s awesome you’re getting in some good runs! Not bragging at all;)
I love your reasons for running outdoors and while I’m not a runner I totally agree with them all for walking.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:19 am

Love walking just as much as running…and the same defo applies 🙂

Katy July 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Although I prefer cycling, I would rather run outdoors than on a treadmill. I think I’ve only on that dreadmill 3x ever since I started my fitness regime years ago.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:21 am

Learning how to cycle is on my summer bucket list- here’s hoping I can tick it off 🙂

P July 18, 2013 at 12:48 am

I love running outdoors for the planning the route reason also. I have been making a habit of running to my gym just in time for Zumba classes. I don’t need to warm up by the time I’m there :D.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:21 am

Would you recommend zumba? The studio I go to in Mumbai offer classes but I’m yet to try them out!

P July 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

I recommend Zumba :D. It’s not just Latin styles of dancing. Many instructors infuse some Bollywood in their classes too. I bet the classes in Mumbai might have even more Bollywood influence :D!

Khushboo July 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for your feedback- will definitely give it a try 🙂

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 18, 2013 at 11:55 am

16 km on a treadmill….. thats gutsy buddy! I’d be lucky to make 5 haha!

By the way, its so refreshing to read KM instead of Miles :p No maths calculations here!

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Haha thanks to running, my 1.6 times table is up to mark 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Now I seriously can’t wait for our fro-yo date today!!

I used to purposely run during the peak of the heat in Perth. Only, our average summer temperature is 40-45C, so *slightly* hotter than this. What a nut. I did it because I thought if I could run through that, I could run through anything. I used to run with a bottle of water and fill it up along the way. I wouldn’t even drink the water, just pour it over my head, and I’d be dry about 60 seconds later.

Khushboo July 18, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Can’t wait to catch up later today…be excited: salted caramel is on the menu ;)! I should try your water-pouring trick during my next run!

Alex@Veggin' Out July 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Omg this is such an amazing post! LOVE it!
I’m definitely going to have to try out the froyo as workout fuel 😉
I also love running outdoors! It’s great to feel that you actually went someplace, and the scenery is always so much more beautiful than staring at a white wall haha. And I love the idea of ending at a starbucks – perfect place to refuel! 😛 I’ve thought about running to the grocery store, but then I wasn’t sure I would have enough energy to walk back with my groceries! I’ll have to have my mom or someone meet me there… hehe.

Khushboo July 19, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Haha glad you enjoyed it, Alex :)! I take a single note so that I don’t end up going overboard and getting stuck carrying so many grocery bags!

honeywhatscooking July 19, 2013 at 8:58 am

I’m so bad.. i don’t workout outdoors… it’s 97 degrees in NY. OMG.. it’s crazy! I can’t even breathe. Yeah, i do indoors.. but it’s smart to run by water, it’s always cooler. Love the big ben photo. 🙂

Khushboo July 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Ahh b-b-but you have Central Park at your disposal!!! 😉

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets July 21, 2013 at 7:05 am

I prefer to run outdoors too, but the heat lately has been brutal. I, foolishly, did a mid-afternoon run and really struggled. I should have went for ice cream instead. Next time.

Khushboo July 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm