Because I always find opening a post kind of awkward, I’m just going to dive right in…
One of the things which still baffles me is the conception that eating healthily must taste bland or require extensive culinary skills. Especially given the number of recipes & ideas floating around the Internet which we can access within seconds, it really couldn’t be easier. While I rarely whip up gourmet meals at home or spend much time cooking, my meals are still pretty tasty. Lately those meals have involved bowls of vegan overnight oats for breakfast, countless stir fries, eggs in some form and copious amounts of salsa, feta & avocado in between….and peanut butter (duh)!
Some days I’m more motivated to branch out. I say branch out but it’s more a case of combining some of my staples for an entirely new dish. In this case that dish was Savory Brown Rice Pancakes.
With leftover rice lurking in the fridge and a craving for eggs, I decided to throw the 2 together and hope for the best. I probably should’ve hoped for something better (cough *lottery* cough) because these bad boys tasted ACE! Although the flavor options are countless, I went down the Asian route. Consider these a stir fry in pancake form…and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love pancakes?
Savory Brown Rice Pancakes - Serves 1
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 4-5 tablespoons cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sliced onions
- 2-3 drops soy sauce
- Crack the eggs in a bowl & beat together.
- Add the onions, rice & soy sauce to the rice and mix well.
- Spray oil across a skillet and heat over medium fire. Once heated, pour a spoonful of the batter into the skillet & flatten out mixture.
- Cook until the bottoms are deep golden and the tops have set a bit, then use a spatula to flip the pancake.
- Cook the other side until golden and cooked through.
- Repeat steps 3-5 with remaining batter
- Serve with greens of your choice
**Topping suggestions: peanut butter, sweet chilli sauce, sesame oil, avocado slices
Especially with Pancake Tuesday coming up tomorrow, there really is no better time to try these out! Although if you’re looking for a sweet pancake recipe for tomorrow, search no further:
Two-Ingredient Gluten-Free, Flourless Banana Pancakes
Tips for making healthier pancakes
What are your favorite pancake toppers?