Friday Favorites: Healthy Snacks

by Khushboo on January 4, 2013

Waddup Buttercup!

In light of my last post on starting 2013 on a healthier note, I wanted to share some of my favorite snacks.  One of the biggest reasons why people give up on their goals to eat a healthy diet is because he/she ends up feeling H-U-N-G-R-Y or deprived.

It’s no shocker that snacks are an ideal way to curb hunger. As long as you choose wisely, there’s no reason why snacks can’t be part of a healthy diet.  I try to ensure my snacks contain protein and/or fat for extra satiety:

• Yogurt with fruit & nuts

photo 2

• Milky drinks/ smoothies

photo 1

• Veggie sticks with hummus
  • photo 1Nuts & raisins

photo-17

• Roasted squash with peanut butter

photo 3

• Snack bars
Current favorites are KIND Bars & Luna Bars

Current favorites are KIND Bars & Luna Bars

photo 3

The company sent me a few samples while I was in London, and I was pleasantly surprised.  In addition to their minimal ingredient list, the stats are also impressive: 88 calories & 6.6g protein per packet.  The only downfall of Garbanzo is that they are a pretty loud snack to munch on.  Let’s just say that despite their deliciousness, I wouldn’t sneak them into the cinema ;)!

What’s your current favorite snack?

karina January 4, 2013 at 8:25 pm

My after dinner snack tends to be higher on protein and fat ie. a casein shake with almond butter or yogurt with nuts. During lunch and dinner though my snacks are really random. They vary between miso soup, nuts, protein shake, fruit or a soy latte. Just depends what I’m feeling and how organized I am for the day.

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:16 am

Love soy lattes…almost as much as DIY cappuccinos 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I’m a huge snacker as well! I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve forgone meals in favour of snacks. We have a lot of similar ones – I like bars (KIND, Luna, protein bars or homemade), cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit, protein smoothies, and nut butter from the jar.

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:17 am

One of my favorite (although I forgot to mention) is cottage cheese mixed with choc protein powder, PB & blueberries – SO yummy!

Alex @ therunwithin January 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm

dude those last snack bags sound awesome! i also am a roasted squash for snack type of girl

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:18 am

I always roast extra and keep in the fridge- love squash!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Mmmm roasted kabocha squash, I hope I never ever get sick of this deliciousness! Yogurt paired with nuts, cereal, nut butter will also always hold a special place in my heart, great choices woman! Sadly though I am not enjoying smoothies at the moment, way too COLD! As soon as summer makes its way back though, delicious smoothies will certainly be returning 🙂

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:19 am

I felt the same way about salads when I was in London- as much as I love ’em, I couldn’t fathom the thought of a cold meal when it was freezing outside!

TorontoRunner January 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm

YOGURT + FRUITSSSSSS for the win!! haha
I love it. so, so, much!
I’m a fruti-a-holic. Any and every type is amazing!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:20 am

Yogurt & fruit (especially applesauce) is my #1 snack- LOVE it!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm

A girl after my own heart 😀 All the snacks you mentioned are ones that I love as well, but you left out the best one! Bananas with AB will always, always be my #1 favorite snack. Add a little bit of chocolate to that and I’m in heaven.

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:21 am

Oh yes that is a killer combo-even better if the banana is frozen! Have you tried banana soft serve?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 5, 2013 at 2:15 am

I have! It’s delicious, especially if you put it on top of oatmeal.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 4, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Great snack ideas, I’m also a huge fan of the yogurt + granola combo and nuts and raisins. Those roasted chickpeas look delicious, I wanna try them!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:22 am

Although snack packets are more convenient, it’s worth roasting chickpeas at home- so tasty!

Allie January 4, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Mmm, if Starbucks counts, then yes, Starbucks is totally my favorite snack 🙂

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 1:23 am

Starbucks definitely counts! 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti January 5, 2013 at 1:58 am

I love yogurt with fruit and nuts, apple with PB, date balls, string cheese…if I could, I would snack all day!

Thanks for the ideas, K! I definitely need to try the squash + PB combo. Sounds so good!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

Ah I’m still meaning to make those date balls! Hope you try the squash/PB combo- I know you’ll love it :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 5, 2013 at 2:33 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve had any snacks on the regular. I try to make sure every time I put food in my mouth it’s a proper meal or else I just get hungry 10 minutes later. But I guess my go-to would be a protein shake with a fat source 🙂

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 11:52 am

Can’t beat protein shakes when it comes to convenience!

Jess January 5, 2013 at 4:27 am

Love dry roasted chickpeas!! Those snacks are awesome!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 11:52 am

I was really surprised at how tasty they were!

Brittany January 5, 2013 at 6:47 am

PB on squash!? I guess if it’s good on most everything, then I must believe it will be good on squash. I will have to try this soon!! My current favorite snack is..mmm well..anything really HA!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 11:54 am

Fact: PB makes (almost) everything taste better 🙂

Katy January 5, 2013 at 7:19 am

Love all these snacks! I started liking almonds this year (never liked it before). I also like to make a big protein shake with lots of frozen strawberries and occasionally a banana. Keeps me full for a long time!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I always underestimate how filling smoothies can be…despite their lack of chew!

P January 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

These look like awesome snacks to curb hunger! For some reason though, bread and cheese for breakfast leaves me super hungry an hour later…I guess I’m better off starting the day with greek yogurt or oats!

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

If you’re looking for a more filling breakfast, I would add in an omelet or a bowl of Greek yogurt! The protein definitely works wonders :)!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 5, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’m swooning over the squash + peanut butter combination – it’s one of my favorites! I’m particularly fond of kabocha roasted in coconut oil and drizzled with both PB and coconut butter! If I’m feeling really decadent, I’ll throw a sprinkling of chopped nuts and coconut flakes on top. 🙂

My other snack favorites include: bananas with peanut butter and Greek yogurt, banana/egg white “pancakes,” cucumbers and hummus, and egg whites with guacamole. Gah, now I’m ready for a snack! 😉 xoxo

Khushboo January 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Love your snack ideas – especially the egg whites & guacamole combo and adding nuts/coconut flakes to roasted squash!

Ameena January 6, 2013 at 3:10 am

I’m not much of a snacker but in London I was snacking a bit too much on the afternoon scones. 🙂 They were divine!

Thanks again for the London recs, loved L’Eto!

Khushboo January 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

Afternoon scones sounds like the snack of champions ;)! So glad you enjoyed L’Eto!

honeywhatscooking January 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

Some of my fave snacks are:
peanut butter and banana
banana and nutella
cheddar cheese or jack cheese.
walnuts.

Khushboo January 6, 2013 at 11:08 am

Banana & Nutella….mmmmm ;)!

Shreya @ rushofendorphins January 6, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Snacks are so important! I love everything you have above, but I almost always turn to cereal/granola with yogurt/milk!

Khushboo January 6, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I tend to always have cereal with yogurt but there’s something about cereal with milk that cannot be beat!

Min January 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Great snack ideas! I make sure that my snacks contain both protein and CHO to prevent spike in my blood sugar levels. Trail mix , cheese w/crackers, pb+j, any fruits with pb, yogurt w granola…I love that you’re not going to eat more dark chocolate ;). I shall join ya.

Khushboo January 6, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Ooh cheese with crackers is a great one to add to the list :)!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 7, 2013 at 5:17 am

Those roasted chickpeas look so good!

My current favourite snack is an apple with Barney Butter. It never gets old!

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 11:40 am

So true- apple & PB for the win :)!

Alexis @ Hummusapien January 7, 2013 at 7:37 am

I literally have pretty much the same exact snack list as you! My go-to’s are triscuits/veggies with hummus, roasted nuts, apple and almond butter or leftovers. KIND bars are a fabulous treat as well 🙂 I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

Leftovers are a great snack too! I always forget that meals can be snacks too, just smaller portions!

Kailey January 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm

My go to snacks are usually KIND bars or Larabars – so good and so filling 🙂

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I’m always pleasantlysurprised at how filling bars are…always keep one in my bag!