Back on track

by Khushboo on January 2, 2013

Happy 2013, guys! The inner child in me wants to make some joke about how I haven’t posted all year long ha.  How is your year off to? Apparently what you do on the first day of the year will be what you do most of year.  While there are parts of yesterday I wouldn’t mind clinging on to, there are some which I hope don’t stick around.  For starters:

• I would love to wake up every day feeling refreshed…just not with a wake-up call close to noon
  • I’d like to incorporate more yoga in my life…but preferably with an instructor rather than an online yoga video

1302054031524_3318979

• I’m all for chilling & coffee out…but I sure plan on making the rest of 2013 productive
  • I’m always down for dining with good friends

2013-01-01 00.26.04

Tackling resolutions and setting the tone for 2013 aside, it seems like many of us are looking forward to starting the year on a healthier note.  Although I certainly enjoyed indulging more than usual over the past few weeks in London, I am so ready to eat a bit more normally now.  Detoxes and “diets” are probably cashing in right now, but I’m heading in the opposite direction.  Rather than eat less than a thousand calories or follow a liquid diet, I have been:

• Focusing on proper meals
Last breakfast of 2012 & 1st meal of 2013

Last breakfast of 2012 & 1st meal of 2013

• Continuing to stay active
  • Cutting back on alcohol
  • Eating dark chocolate when the sweet craving hits

Although the last one seems contradictory, it’s unrealistic for me to swear off desserts or hope that a cup of herbal tea will curb my cravings. Something tells me that a couple of squares of 70% chocolate is a healthier sweet fix than a slice of cake…and almost as satisfying.  And hey, at least I’m getting my antioxidants in ;)!

Lola's Cupcakes

Lola’s Cupcakes

Whatever your health goals are for 2013, remember it doesn’t have to be difficult or entail deprivation.  Instil habits that you can maintain even after the “New Year High” wears off.  And remember, it’s what you do between New Year’s & Christmas that counts…not between Christmas & New Year’s!

How are you getting back on track after the holidays?

How did you spend the first day of 2013?

TorontoRunner January 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

okay, I totally LOL’d at not writing all year 😀
I love your goals. I need to focus on proper meals as well. I find cooking extreeeemely difficult, so I’m usually a grab and go type of meal person.
Yoga, yoga! I’m trying to put that in my life to help me with all around relaxation and sleep!

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

My biggest advice for becoming a better cook: keep practicing….cliche but so true! 🙂

Alexandra January 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm

What wonderful goals my friend!!! I especially like the chocolate one hahaha 😉

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

It’s my favorite of the bunch too ;)!

Alex @ therunwithin January 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I really like your goals, I think they are not too black and white but more so trends and patterns to start forming. Good for you!

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Thanks Alex!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I hope how I spent my first day of the New Year isn’t indicative of the rest of the year! I was a bit hungover and had to clean my house from top to bottom thanks to too many bottles of champagne being sprayed. I think today is a more realistic tone. And I’m excited to get back into a routine of exercise and healthy eating as well!

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Haha a hungover 2013 does not sound too appealing at all…although the the thought of champagne being sprayed sure indicates a FUN night ;)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2013 at 9:05 pm

If what we do on the first year is a sign of what we’ll be doing all year, then apparently there’s a lot of shopping and family time in my future. My parents had the day off work yesterday, so we ended up going to the mall to check out some of the Boxing Week sales, followed up by dinner at their place. Definitely not something I’d complain about seeing more of… although malls tend to tire me out.

I think that your goals are really great. Nothing extreme, just good lifestyle changes 🙂 Right now I’m mostly working on pushing myself to try new eats. My meals tend to get repetitive, and while I love them, variety is the spice of life, right? 😉

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Glad your year is off to a great start! I need to get on it with trying new meals too…I love what I eat but I can feel a rut coming on!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 2, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I love how you’re looking at post-holiday eating – I’m trying to take the same approach. I figure I can still eat chocolate, but it’s better to go for dark chocolate over cupcakes for a little while :-p

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Put it this way: I went for coffee with friends on Sunday evening and despite 2 plates of cookies sitting in front of me, I didn’t even want a bite…clear sign of a sugar coma ;)!

Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition January 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Your breakfast looks sooo good right now:) You can’t beat a good dollop of nut butter! Have a great New Year!

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Nut butter makes everything better ;)!

Allie January 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Mmm, eating dark chocolate should be part of everyone’s New Year’s goals/resolutions 🙂 I like your reasonable approach–crash diets are just that, they aren’t a real change or a focus on just overall eating well (with the occasional splurge or two, of course)

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I always say that if a diet has a name, it probably is faddy!

Vijitha Shyam January 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I am so glad to have stumbled upon your blog for the new year. Awesome plans and I am loving the dark chocolate in the list. Seriously my new year begins and ends with dark chocolate and red wine 🙂 See you around.

Khushboo January 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Welcome to my blog, Vijitha :)! Red wine & dark chocolate are definitely a stellar combo ;)!

Kym January 3, 2013 at 3:46 am

I hope my first day of the year doesn’t set the tone for the rest of the year – i spent it eating, eating, and eating foods I shouldn’t be eating. Haha! Anyway, i’m back on track today and happy for that. For the two weeks my husband and I were on diet break, I think i’ve had to take Pepto Bismol 4 times due to heart burn or indigestion. -_____- Anyway, Happy New Year Khushboo! I’m so happy I found your blog last year and am looking forward to following your journey this year. 🙂

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh man- heart burn might be the worst sensation out there :(! Happy New Year to you too, Km and the feeling is mutual :)!

Abi January 3, 2013 at 4:16 am

Good Luck with your goals for the new year – do also need to get back on eating balanced meals

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

Good luck with getting back with eating balanced meals, Abi!

Honey What's Cooking January 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

My first day of New years was spent at my aunt’s house where all my family members met up. It was a great way to kick off the year. I definitely need to eat more fruits and give up cupcakes and substitute with dark chocolate – 100% agreed. I did that when I needed to lose weight for the beach and it worked! After my husband’s b’day I’m so watching those desserts.

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

Happy birthday in advance to your hubby! :)!

ritika January 3, 2013 at 11:46 am

i spent the first day eating with friends, and then eating some more. 🙂 not overtly unhealthy but yeah i could count on eating healthier. i look forward to, like you said, getting out of my comfort zone .

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Sounds like a great first day if you ask me :D!

Katy January 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I totally agree with your dark chocolate point! You should definitely indulge in your cravings occasionally to keep them at bay. Deprivation is NOT the key! Happy new year!!

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Continuous deprivation is a surefire to eventually lose control completely! Wishing you all the best for 2013 🙂

Sig @ Melbourne Maharani January 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

LOL I don’t think I was ever ON track before the new year hit given these pregnancy cravings, but since summer has hit in full force I’m making it a point to eat a lot more salads and smoothies. And yes chocolate still features (as does ice-cream :P)

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm

If you’re pregnant and still eating salads and smoothies, you should be extremely proud of yourself :)!

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 3, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I really want to add yoga to my workout routine in 2013! I used to be great about doing videos at home but that doesn’t do it for me anymore. I am looking for a good studio to take a real class.

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I hope you manage to find one! I always feel so much better after a yoga class- nothing like a good stretch!

Parita @ myinnershakti January 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm

You are an inspiration! I love it.

Vishnu and I are both sick right now so my focus is to get us back to normal. I’m glad the bug didn’t hit us until after New Years!

Khushboo January 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Thanks, P! Hope you & Vishnu are on the mend! 🙂

Sonal January 4, 2013 at 12:36 am

Wowie you did a lot on the first day of the year! I really hope that saying is not true because I basically dragged myself out of bed and sat in my pjs eating left over pizza (and cupcakes) and watching random shows on TV (including Mr Bean)…:( I was so tired from the night before! On the bright side the only way after that is upwards! Haha – btw definitely agree with dark chocolate – i find one piece of Lindt 70% much more satisfying than having a few milk chocolates 🙂

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Haha OMG I used to love Mr. Bean when I was growing up- he’s so weird yet so funny!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 4, 2013 at 12:37 am

I am right there with you! I declared this Junk-Free January, but that means eating clean… no juice diets or whatever. My body misses good whole foods!

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

Nothing like excessive amounts of sugar to make you appreciate natural, wholesome food eh!

JoJo January 4, 2013 at 2:26 am

My first day of new year was pretty relaxing, had a great breakfast and watched a beautiful sunset! I went to a party the night before with my husband, so we were still recovering 😉
I hear you about the sweets.. but sometimes chocolate won’t satisfy the cupcake craving.. right?

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

Sounds like you had a great start to 2013…hope it only gets better :)!

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health January 4, 2013 at 3:00 am

I love the very last line it’s what you do between New Year’s & Christmas that counts…not between Christmas & New Year’s! People often get too hung up on “holiday weight” and all that and stop caring after 1st week of Jan or so. I like the idea of setting small, realistic goals rather than resolution to make a drastic change. My goal is to stay mindful of things, food and exercise but also make time for myself and indulge every now and then aka not stop eating dark chocolate 🙂

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 10:56 am

Glad you agree! No matter what you goal is, breaking it down into smaller components makes it so much less daunting to achieve :)!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I completely agree with you about chocolate! I eat it several times a day without fail, which prevents me from ever feeling a smidgen of deprivation. Some days I consume more than others, but it all balances out in the end. As you said, our bodies benefit from those antioxidants! 😉

My first day of 2013 was spent eating, watching football, eating, eating, shopping, and eating more. I sound like the quintessential American, don’t I?! I sure hope the rest of the year doesn’t look like that, although it certainly was fun! <3 xoxo

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Between you and me, a day full of eating sounds kinda great 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Ha, I could never give up dark chocolate! I would go crazy! I’m glad you’re not doing any crazy diets. The number of clients I have who have walked into the studio proudly announcing that they are doing a 5 day liquid ‘cleanse’ astounds me. Have I not taught them anything!?

Khushboo January 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Gosh I cringed while reading your comment so I can only imagine how you felt haha!