You got served!

by Khushboo on December 3, 2012

Everyone has his or her pet peeves—you know, those things that really get under your skin.  One of my more prominent ones is poor customer service.  For me, it’s the make or break of an overall experience.   Good customer service can go a long way and as paying customers, we’re entitled to a standard of service.   Consider it a trait I inherited my mom, but I am not one to shy away from speaking up.

Pet peeve #2

Before I come across like a total ass, I’m also likely to make it known when I’ve received exceptional customer service.  And because of that I want to highlight 3 places that deserve some recognition…all which definitely made my Saturday:

1) 5 Fitness Gym: My personal training sessions finished last week and I didn’t want to renew them until I’m back from London.  As much I enjoyed working out with my PT, I was also getting bored with her style of training.  Fortunately the on-floor trainers are super helpful (well most of them).  I did a chest, shoulder, triceps session on Saturday morning and two of the trainers constantly watched my form and advised me when it was falling wayside.  I left feeling so impressed & appreciative of their help….to the point that I am starting to wonder whether I should even bother paying for PT sessions when I’m back.

2) Indigo Deli: I’ve blogged about this place on multiple occasions and I probably will continue to do so in future…their food and service is just THAT good. My friend and I brunched there on Saturday and as usual the food tasted epic.  What stands out the most is they are always happy to customise orders…which works well for someone who tends to ask for add-ins/replacements (ahem ;) ).  Also I told them it was my friend’s birthday and they brought out her entrée with a candle, which added a nice touch.

Smoked Salmon & Poached Eggs on Whole-Wheat Toast with Hash Browns & Hollandaise Sauce

3) Jiva Grande Spa in Wellington Mews:  Over the weekend I finally made use of the Aroma Therapy Massage voucher which a few friends gifted me in June.  Between an appointment confirmation email and a subsequent reminder phone call, the masseuse asking about areas I wanted her to focus on/avoid and regularly checking whether the pressure was okay,  and the ladies in the changing room being at my complete beck & call, it was certainly a luxurious experience.

As for the actual massage, let’s just say it was the best hour of my week. I walked in sore from the gym and thinking about a million things I needed to get done within the next few days.  I walked out feeling completely relaxed, reinvigorated and in a state of Zen.  Now if only I could have found a way to bottle up that feeling.

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Have you received  exceptional customer service recently?

Parita @ myinnershakti December 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Bad customer service is a pet peeve of mine as well. And I’m not above saying something either. I worked retail every summer from the age of 15-21, and I know it’s hard to always put your best foot forward, but when you’re serving customers, how you treat them is the #1 priority. I feel ya on this one! And we had (and always have) great customer service at a restaurant near our apartment. I accidently poured the hottest salsa on my food, and they brought me a new salad at no extra cost. No questions asked!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:27 am

That restaurant sounds awesome! That’s one of the reasons I love Starbucks- they will always remake a drink if need be!

Alexis @ Hummusapien December 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

That smoked salmon and poached egg breakfast looks heavenly! I just have my first massage last week because I have these terrible knots in my back, and it was the best thing EVER. Hope you enjoyed yours!!!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:28 am

Ah hope you got those knots sorted- I am addicted to massages :)

Alex @ therunwithin December 3, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I feel ya, the customer service totally makes or breaks it for me. i will not go back if i get that negative vibe.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:36 am

Gah at negative vibes- such a buzz kill!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Bad customer service is pretty much the main reason that I won’t go back to a place, or that I’ll start boycotting it’s products. I’ve found that most places caught on and try to treat their customers as a #1 priority, but sometimes you just come across those individual workers that grate your nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:29 am

“Grate your nerves”- love that expression although some even full on peel off my nerves!

Katie December 3, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Totally my pet peeve too. Especially since I am unemployed and I want to tell them, “I would be HAPPY to have your job!”

The title of your post reminded me of “Pineapple Express”. I love that movie, haha.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:30 am

Oh I never saw that movie- will check it out :-)

Brittany December 4, 2012 at 12:07 am

I hateeee poor service. It makes me want to scream. I love that you highlighted these places!! That massage sounds amazing. I had wonderful service everywhere I went in Canada!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:31 am

No wonder you had such a fabulous time in Canada :-)

TorontoRunner December 4, 2012 at 12:43 am

aw so nice for you to recognize these places! I agree about customer service!

Also , a huge pet peeve of mine is when people(customers) treat the customer service people badly and rudely. I’ve went to places were some work staff were flat-out rude to bartenders, waitresses , etc. It was HIGHLY inappropriate and really made me so uncomfortable!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:31 am

Love that you raised the point of snout rude patrons- if unwant respect, you have to also give it!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

I received awesome service at Whole Foods this weekend. I stopped at the coffee/gelato counter for an espresso… and saw the apple pie sorbet. I asked the lady if I could taste it even though I wasn’t going to buy any and she gave me the most massive sample scoop ever. #winning.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:32 am

Wow that sorbet flavour sounds like s dream…as does the server :)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish December 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

A massage at Jiva Grande Spa sounds quite appealing right now! I’ve actually never had a professional massage in my life. I KNOOOW. It’s high on my bucket list of “pamper” activities, and I’m hoping to cross it off sooner rather than later, yet still haven’t booked an appointment. I think I subconsciously fear that I’ll love it so much, it will become a regular “need.” That’s what happened with mani/pedi’s a year ago. I “have” to go to the nail salon on a regular basis now, otherwise…well, otherwise my nails will look bad! :-p I can’t for the life of me paint them myself because I always knick them before they dry. Gosh, I sound ridiculously high maintenance. I’m really not, I promise! Unless we’re talking about nails. ;)

The highlight of my weekend was spending two laughter-filled evenings with friends! I’ve been so swamped with schoolwork this semester, and hadn’t realized how much of a hermit I’d become. I appreciate those laugh-so-hard-your-stomach-hurts moments more than ever right now. :) xoxo

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:33 am

Haha I feel you on the regular mani peds…and I am a,most certain u will be instantly hooked on massages. I sure am!!!

honeywhatscooking December 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Bad Customer Service is definitely one of my peeves and people who “always” complain. Highlight of my week was Ghirardelli Sundae :-) and just being in California, everyone is SO NICE here, definitely nicer than the East Coast of the US. The spa looks so relaxing. Hope you have a great trip K.. I noticed that on Instagram.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:34 am

Forget the east coast, I find America as a whole to be such a friendly & welcoming country!

Allie December 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Love that good customer service gets some recognition! It IS such a good make-or-break element, not matter what the setting.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:34 am

True story :-)

Sonal December 4, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Oh my goodness those poached eggs look sooo good! When I eventually come to Bombay, we must go :D Even the spa looks like a little bit of heaven. I totally get the same old routine from the personal trainers, i’ve only been with mine for over a month and i’m already waiting to mix it up a little bit. I also agree costumer service is essential! It always makes me happier when someone is genuinely doing their best to ensure your experience is as pleasant as possible :)

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 2:36 am

I hope eventually means soon ;)

Corrie Anne December 5, 2012 at 6:47 am

our gym has good service — it convinced me to switch to 12 month membership. i love it!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m not surprised! I don’t think I’d be able to go to a gym that didn’t treat their members well!