Hey It’s Okay: Hashtag Editon

by Khushboo on July 25, 2012

Can we talk about hash tags for a second?  Over the last few years, Twitter has revolutionized the use of the number sign #.  For those who aren’t on Twitter, the concept of hashtags probably doesn’t make sense…at least it took my cousin AGES to somewhat wrap her head around it.

In a nutshell, a # is an easy way for people to search for tweets that have a common topic.  For example, if you search #ModernFamily, tweets relating to the TV show will come up.   By incorporating hashtags into your tweets, you can “trend” a topic and attract a wider audience.  Hashtags also add comical value to a tweet,  by giving the author a chance to contradict what he/she is saying or to poke fun e.g. #mylifeissohard.

As it’s been a while since I’ve done one of my Hey It’s Okay posts, it’s time to bring it back…with the addition of hashtags

Hey It’s Okay…

• To be forever dependent on Gmail to remind you about uploading an attachment #gotmyback
  • To raise your eyebrows regularly as you read Fifty Shades of Grey #prudemuch

• To be really upset when you accidentally drop your favourite clip in the toilet #Butterfingers
  • …And to then debate fishing out said clip #answerisno
  • To want to laugh when your grandmother refers to “Wi-Fi” as “Hi-Fi” #rollwiththetimes
  • To entirely resonate with this photo #storyofmylife

• To not feel amazing, revitalized, or cleansed after hot yoga..and instead actually feel like crap #bikramyoga
  •  For holiday mode to kick in…11 days too early #Londoncalling
  • To spend £50 on protein powder without batting an eyelid yet debate whether it’s worth paying £1.69 for an app #pennywisepoundfoolish
  • To rely on 10-second rule when your food falls on the floor #dontjudge

• To give up trying to decide what to have for dinner and just resort to a bowl of cereal instead…#becauseican
  • To not care about the implications of a dry monsoon, especially on the farmers & their crops  #sorryimnotsorry

What’s okay in your books this week?

Krystal@Ms.Random July 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm

LOL love this post!! So funny I had to explain the #Hashtag to someone on Sunday, funny thing is I don’t tweet. Today I’ll be hanging out in Toronto, #cityloving, #sitecitingwithvisitors, #fun Ha ha have a good rest of the week!!

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Rule number 30 of hashtags: overuse is a killjoy…haha I kid I kid, enjoy Toronto!

Parita July 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

This post made me literally LOL! I can relate to so many of these it’s not even funny…especially the empty closet and overflowing bag pic! Story of my life! :)

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

As much as I’m looking forward to going on holiday next week, I am definitely dreading the packing bit :-/

Min July 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm

PUhahhaha!! I just joined twitter about a month ago, and I must say it was and still is quite overwhelming! How do people keep up?! And I was wondering what # was all about! Clearly, I’m stilll lost. So you can use # basically for anything? I thought that people had some sort of list or something..A light bulb just turned on in my head!
What a fun post!! Thanks for the much needed laughter during this lunch break!!

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You are most welcome…hope Twitter makes a bit more sense now. It took me a while to get in the swing of hashtagging!

Alex @ therunwithin July 26, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love this style of posts and I have to admit, the drop things in toilet and fish out has happened way too many times.

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Haha if it happens again, I may just have to fish it out :)

sprint2thetable July 26, 2012 at 12:43 am

LOL! I am the exact same way about paying through the nose of protein powder but being cheap on apps.

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:36 pm

All about priorities eh ;)

Honey What's Cooking July 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

hahaha.. what is up with fifty shades of gray, everyone keeps going on and on about it. I don’t read so I guess I’ll never find out. This was a fun read. It’s so sad that my closet is FULL, but yet every morning, I stand there for 5 minutes trying to figure out what to wear for work. I’m addicted to shopping, as you can tell. When are you coming to London? :-)

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Good news: they’re making it into a movie & I believe Angelina Jolie is starring in it! I get to London next weekend :)

caloricandcrazy July 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Really fun post! That packing pic is SO true! I wait till the very last minute to pack nowadays!

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I dont think I could handle the anxiety of leaving my packing till the last minute. My OCD nature kicks in, and I start making packing lists days in advance :)

forgottenbeast July 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love your “Hey it’s okay” posts! And my mom used to refer to wi-fi as “whiffie.” I didn’t correct her for a while because it was hilarious…apparently it’s a difficult term for the less tech-savvy.

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Hahah that’s so cute! For the sake of my own amusement, I am yet to correct my grandmother!

Lauren July 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Hahaha! I’m new to Twitter and hashtags, so some of these were really funny to me! One of my favorites that I’ve seen so far has been #therearebetterideas…such as ‘daughter sticking wire rod into electrical outlet’….#therearebetterideas…cool post!

Khushboo Thadani July 26, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Haha I love that- gonna check out what else shows up in that hashtag! Thanks for sharing :)

Meenakshi July 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm

This made me laugh!! You know, I am still getting my head around hashtags. I didn’t understand them at first, and even though I do now, I still don’t use them much.

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Glad this made you laugh- I am a major hashtagger :) !

Sarah July 27, 2012 at 3:21 am

These are all so funny! I love Twitter, it’s such a fantastic resource, I’ve actually been using it quite a lot on my internship this week! Of course it’s also great for a good laugh :)

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Completely agree about it being a great resource…it’s amazing how much of an impact 140 characters can have :) !

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) July 27, 2012 at 5:54 am

Hahah these are amazing! I have been there with the clip thing… except I did fish it out… lol gross I know, but I thoroughly washed up afterwards :) I am still slightly confused by hashtags, I never use them, but they are in fact, often hilarious!

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Haha not gross at all…although if it happened after you did your “business”, then it would be sliiiightly ick ;) !

Sig July 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

Bwahaha. Loved it. I’m an overuser of hashtags to sum up everything so really liked this. Angelina jolie is going to in 50 shades?? That’s taking the idea of a virginal, awkward college student to the extreme.

I reckon Christian Bale (aka Batman) would be good as Christian Grey. Maybe because they’re both called Christian???

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Haha I agree about Angelina Jolie- she is a bit too hot for what I imagined Anastasia! As for Christian, Jude Law instantly comes to mind- he’s one of the few guys who’s looks are worth “surrendering” to ;) !

Corrie Anne July 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm

These posts are my favorite!! Love the outfit/packing photo!! Haha.

Khushboo Thadani July 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

Haha I knew I couldn’t be the only one guilty of this ;) !

IHeartVegetables July 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Hahaha I love the #Storyofmylife ones and that picture above is SO SCARY TRUE!

Khushboo Thadani July 28, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m sure every girl can relate to some extent!