Tell me I am not the only one who did a double take at their calendar today! How is it already the last Friday of July?! I seem to be saying it at the end of every month so I may as well say it once more: This year is flying! Rather than put up a blog post as usual, I thought I’d share some links which I’ve enjoyed this week. They’re all worth a read, especially when you have some free time on your hands this weekend:
- When Your Definition of Healthy Changes: We are constantly bombarded with the notion that “Thin is in”. It seems to have become general consensus that the “perfect figure” & “beauty” can only be attained by drastically controlling our dietary intake and always giving our 110% in workouts. I’m all for eating a clean diet and regular exercise but this post was a huge eye-opener: there’s a fine line between eating and exercising for your health, and then overdoing it to a point that it becomes detrimental to your long-term well-being. Although it’s not easy to pour your heart out over the Internet, I appreciated every single world Courtney posted about her struggles with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea, and how she plans to do the unthinkable in terms of “healthy”: eat more and work out less.
- 17 Ways Clueless Would be Different If It Came Out Now: I grew up on the movie Clueless. I even watched it more times than Home Alone, which says a lot. I know I can’t be the only one who wanted a virtual closet like Cher’s or who did the Rolling With the Homies move. For those of you who were as much a Clueless fan, you need to check this out!
- Olympic Ring Pancakes: The Olympics are finally here! Even though the immigration queue in Heathrow is going to be a nightmare when I land next week and the whole city in general is going to be chaotic, I am psyched to experience the Olympics atmosphere first hand. This pancake recipe is a fun way to celebrate the start of the Olympics, and who’s to say that only the athletes can carbo-load !
- Twitter cost the economy $1 billion yesterday: From my last post on hashtags, I’m sure you gathered that I’m somewhat of a Twitter fan. After multiple attempts of trying to refresh my Twitter feed yesterday, I assumed there was a problem with my internet at home; it turns out the system was facing a worldwide problem. Although I only lost out in terms of entertainment during TV ad breaks, it’s crazy to think how much influence a mere 140-characters can have on various industries.
- 4 Cult-Like Food Fads: Given the rate that various food fads are popping up, eating styles seem to have turned into somewhat of a fashion statement. This article provides great insight into four common food philosophies: Veganism, Gluten Free, Paleo,and Raw Diets. Although I rather leave the labels for my clothes, I would consider myself a “Qualitarian”: I stick to quality foods whenever possible.
On that note, I’ll leave you with my lunch today, courtesy of The Table:
It was delicious & filling, but where veggie burgers are concerned I remain partial to my homemade bean burgers.
What Olympics sport are you most looking forward to watching?