My A-Z of Happiness

by Khushboo on July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July to all of you guys in the US!  Am I jealous that you’re probably attending a barbecue, lighting up fireworks or just enjoying some time off? Psshhh not at all! I kid, I kid, I hope you are having a great time celebrating.  For the rest of you suckers guys at work, join the club :) !

I’m all about relishing the little things in life, and as soon as I saw this survey floating around, I knew it wouldn’t be long till I sang along.  Reading other people’s responses as well as filling it out left me feeling warm & fuzzy, so here’s hoping it has the same effect on you.  Without further ado, here’s my ABCs  of what makes me happy:

A pples and Almonds: 98% of the time, I snack on apples and almonds at work and don’t see this changing anytime soon

B reakfast & Blow drys: It’s hard to be in a bad mood when my hair looks good.

C lean sheets: getting in, not putting on

D MCs i.e. ‘Deep Meaningful Conversations’ for the acronym-challenged ;)

E mail exchanges, obviously not including work-related mails

F amily: Love ‘em, argue with ‘em but where would I be without ‘em?

G irlfriends: I might not speak to them daily or see them as much I would like, but when push comes to shove, I am blessed to have multiple girlfriends I can count on

H ealthy bowels: I may regret saying this over the internet but it doesn’t get better than having to go as soon as you wake up.  I said it, you thought it!

I: iPhone, iTouch, iAnythingshock, horror

J ava: More than its caffeine effects, the ritual and taste of drinking coffee makes me look forward to it every single morning

K hana: a.k.a. the Hindi term for ‘food’…call it what you want but food makes me happy

Equating this bar to cookie dough is pushing it, but it’s delicious nonetheless

L aughter, because a life without laughter isn’t worth living :D

M assages, Music & Matinees.  The first 2 are a no-brainer.  As for matinees, there’s something about seeing a film in the middle of the day which feels downright indulgent

N ostalgia

O utdoor dining: I <3 all things summer, including eating al fresco!

P hotographs a.k.a. tangible memories of non-tangible events

Q uick Dry for reducing the risk of smudged manicures

R elaxation & Running, which is ironic as one conserves energy while the other uses up energy.

S inging , Supermarkets & Showers

T ime: Time with loved ones, extra time in the morning, whatever: time is invaluable.

U V rays: Being amidst the monsoon season makes me appreciate the sunlight all the more.  Every day I wake up to sunlight pouring through my window, it’s Khushboo – 1, Monsoons, – 0 :)

V acations:  Just thinking about my upcoming trip to London next month makes me giddy with excitement

W ine: I’m no connoisseur (yet) but lately wine has been my drink of choice, red preferably

X ercise: This is a cop out for ‘X’ but I’d be lying if I said xylophones or X-rays make me happy. Xercise is my drug of choice

Y ogurt: Frozen, plain, Greek- hits the spot every.single.time

Z ite: Thank you Apple for allowing me to customise a newspaper/magazine which is only filled with articles that interest me

Pick a few letters and tell me what simple things make you happy…

Patty July 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Happy 4th to you! I love these little bits of happiness :-) Might have to do this too!!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thanks, Patty- it was definitely fun to fill out :) !

Alex @ therunwithin July 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm

these are all so great, I love email exchanges too. especially from people you don’t’ really know but just reach out for some reason. always makes my day. happy fourth!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

So true- the best kinda emails are the ones which are unexpected!

Brittany July 4, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Bahaha YES for healthy bowels. I swear my day is not complete until I “release” last nights meal. Matinees are awesome, because they are cheaper!

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) July 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I LOVE this comment, Brittany you are the best :D Oh and I concur!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yay for healthy bowels- hahah!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hahaha seriously right…gotta make room for new eats ;) !

Candice July 5, 2012 at 2:53 am

Happy 4th! Love this post!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hope you had a great 4th of July!

Renee Andrea Reddy July 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Props to you, you managed to find multiple things you loved for the entire alphabet! I loved your entire list! Hmm ok lemme choose a few letters…B for Beach…I love being able to hear the waves crashing as I go to sleep and stand on our deck and look out over the ocean, F for Family & Friends (no brainer right!) M for Margharitas!!! (clearly no explanation needed), S for Sunsets & Sunrises over the ocean, T is for Turbofire…I love it! (have you ever tried it ? or any other workout dvds?), W for Wanderlust the itch to travel all.the.time and on that note I”ll stop! How exciting for your trip next month, eek! I am the worst packer in the world, hope you’re better than me! Goodluck with all the prep leading up to your trip :)

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

Love all that you listed….and unfortunately I am a terrible packer, I always overestimate how much I will need!

sonalii1988 July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Love this!! Just a few things that make me happy this week: B for Barbecues on the Beach, R for Reunions with friends and family, S for swimming, W for Watermelon…..or any kind of melon. :)

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

These all make me happy too :) …I’m not generally a watermelon fan but when the sun is out, it’s a whole different story!

Corrie Anne July 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love the email exchanges. The lengthy ones with my long distance friends during work! :)

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hahaha gotta kill time some way, right ;) !

forgottenbeast July 5, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I love this survey! How fabulous and positive, and you have some great little causes for happiness! Right now, mine are R for Roadtrips with friends, S for Sunishine (I’m with ya on that one!) and T for hot Tea in ridiculously cold offices.

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:50 am

You chose such great ones- going on a roadtrip with friends is actually on my bucket list of things to do eventually! Ideally it would be across the US!

forgottenbeast July 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’d love to do a long one sometime, and it would be a great way to see the US, although I know a big chunk of the middle of the States is pretty darn boring/empty. I want to move to California, so that would force me to drive across the country :D

Khushboo Thadani July 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I drove from California (well my cousins/aunt did while I chilled in the backseat) to Vegas and the view was great. Consider driving around Cali another incentive to move ;) !

sprint2thetable July 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Breakfast is my happy hour too! And the few minute before breakfast where I have healthy bowls… well, that’s pretty happy too. ;)

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

Breakfast & bowels- what better reason to get out of bed ever morning ;) !

Honey What's Cooking July 6, 2012 at 4:37 am

omg, your healthy bowels sat well with me, it’s the best when it’s a pleasant surprise and you’re done for the day. I LOVE THAT!
T – Tea at home
C – Coffee from my coffee guy before getting to work
C – Cupcakes!
I’m all about food! :-)
Thanks for the 4th of July wish!

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hahah that’s probably why I’m almost certain we would get on so well if we ever met in person! Although my C would go for either cookies/chocolate…cupcakes are overrated ;) !

sarah July 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m a long time lurker – but I really just wanted to let you know how much I ENJOY reading your blog !

Khushboo Thadani July 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Thanks so much for de-lurking, Sarah! I’m so glad you enjoy my blog and please comment more :) !