The little things

by Khushboo on March 7, 2012

The other day I came across a tidbit of motivation, which I wanted to share:

Happiness is not just one thing; it’s an accumulation of many little joys.  When you connect the dots between all these little joys, life seems fuller and more satisfying.

The above came about after my friend sent me a link to the site called Little Things.  Chances are you amy have already seen it, but for those who haven’t, it’s a ‘blog listing things we should appreciate.  These are life’s simple pleasures that are commonly overlooked.  And possibly daily sources of happiness that are right under your nose.’

Whoever said positive attitudes are contagious hit the nail on the head.  I can’t stop flicking through the site and it genuinely encourages me to foster an attitude of gratitude.  Reading through them gave me the warm fuzzies, especially since I couldn’t agree more.  Some of my favorites include:

• Realising your cramps have gone

• Good story- tellers
  • Quick downloads

• Wrapping your cold hands around a warm drink
  • When you get a baby to stop crying

• Being the bearer of good news
  • When a person enjoys something you recommended

And here’s my simple joy which I experience weekly: Sunday mornings. While I do love Fridays like everyone else, I most look forward to Sunday mornings: not having to rush to the gym, not waking up to an alarm, eating breakfast in bed, lazing around in my pajamas,…everything about it is just ideal!  And on that note I hope you all remember to focus on the small frequent pleasures in life, as these will probably add more happiness to our lives than the ‘once in a blue moon’ colossal events!

What little thing is making you smile? Tell me so I can smile about it too!

Sara K March 7, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m definitely going to read through this list! I do have to say though that I truly am DEEPLY appreciative when my hair decides to stay in place and I do get that buzz of flattery of being in a profile picture ;)
Other small joys- when someone asks me a question about something because they think i have expertise on the subject, choosing the best lane in traffic and getting to work early enough to brew some espresso…and i’m surre there are more, definitely going to read that list!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

Oh getting asked for advice is such a great feeling- shows a sense of trust in what you have to say!

Alexandra March 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Love this post girl, the small things RULE!
When your hair stays where you want it to is THE BEST!! Some of my best days ever have also been best hair days ever haha ;)
The fact that my mom texted me extremely early this morning just to wish me luck and say I love you is making me smile today :)

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

Hope your exam went well :)

Tara March 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Oh yes, when I take time to appreciate the little things I feel so much happier! A small joy of mine is when the weather is a lot nicer than you expect it to be. I love stepping outside, expecting to be hit with a cold wind, but feel a nice spring breeze!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:55 am

Andddd that’s why Spring is my favourite season : the unexpected improvement in weather!

Parita March 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

You’re absolutely right, the little things are so important and necessary! I’m going to check this site out as it looks like it’s right up my alley. And the small thing that always make my day a little bit brighter is my morning cup of coffe. I love having it by my side as I sift through emails!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:56 am

I feel the same way about my morning glass of iced coffee: each sip injects bliss into me :)

sprint2thetable March 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Sunday mornings are the best! I love the springtime when I can sleep in, roll out of bed, and walk to the farmer’s market in the park for coffee and fresh, local produce.

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:58 am

There’s something joyous sboutvsomeone else making you coffee right…even when you have to pay for it yourself!

Tessa at Amazing Asset March 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

What a great post girl, and I will definitely be checking out that site when I have more time later today! It really is so necessary to remember the little things, it helps to keep things in perspective!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:58 am

Little things really do add up to something great, even though it may not seem like it initially!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) March 8, 2012 at 5:51 am

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this is obviously a post I LOVE! I am all about loving the little things in life <3

I just got out of class and I was smiling just because of the light breeze in the air :) It was warm :)

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 12:59 am

I’m glad the weather is improving on your side of the world :)

Krystal March 8, 2012 at 5:58 am

It’s so true, we often forget the little things that make us feel warm and fuzzy or just a little better. Tea, hot chocolate make things better after swimming lessons. Have a good rest of the week.

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’m always ravenous after swimming so anything taste good afterwards!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

I love the positive message in this post — bravo! Appreciate small things that makes for a better and happy day!

A gentle breeze puts a smile on my face. Saying “I love you” or “Thank you” puts a smile on my face :)

BTW, Happy Holi to you and the family. Have fun in Dubai :)

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:01 am

Thanks and Happy Holi to you too, Kiran!

Alyse March 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

Great post! I love it when my train arrives right at the same time I do. Or when the light turns red just when I need a breather during my bike ride or run :)

The first sip of a perfectly brewed cup of coffee. Ah, yes, now that’s a Sunday morning kind of love!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

Forced rest breaks during a run are a blessing in disguise :)

Ameena March 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Absolutely – the little things make all the difference. Like 5 green lights in a row and an omelet that doesn’t stick.

Great post!! :)

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:03 am

Omelettes that stick to a pan automatically turn into scrambled eggs for me ;)

Brittany March 9, 2012 at 5:59 am

Oh I love this. Something little that makes me smile is finding a good deal on items I purchase. Seeing an animal smile. Cookies.

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Or even better…animal cookies :)

onehealthymunchkin March 9, 2012 at 7:36 am

I definitely need to check out that site now – I love being reminded of all the things I should appreciate!

Something that made me smile today was finding bananas at the perfect stage of ripeness at the grocery store. Hahahaha!

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That’s the best- I hate when bananas at the store haven’t even started ripening yet- bleh to pretty yellow bananas!

honeywhatscooking March 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

well said. the little things make life far more interesting.. for me that moment is my tea and dessert at the end of the day, i am trying to cut back on sugar, but it’s so hard. i also look forward to my $1 coffee in NYC before I go to work. i love sipping my hot coffee while I check my emails at work. :-)

Khushboo Thadani March 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

My bedtime snack/’dessert’ is something I look forward to as well- such a relaxing point in the day and it definitely motivates me to eat healthy the rest of the day!

kilax March 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I have read A LOT on how we should look at the little things to find happiness, because putting too much pressure on big events makes us feel so down when they are over. Thanks for the link! I am going to check it out!

For me:
1. Taking off my work clothes after a long day and putting something comfy on.
2. Getting an “i miss you” text from a friend.
3. Being invited to something.
4. Being asked my opinion.

Khushboo Thadani March 10, 2012 at 10:33 am

Those are all such feel-good moments :)