Cell phone = cell damage?

by Khushboo on March 16, 2012

After my post on Wednesday, I got a few questions/responses about the Moshi Moshi handset, and thought it would be helpful to post about it.  Let’s be honest: we all have a cell phone…even my grandmother has one!  And if you’re anything like me, chances are it has developed into a borderline necessity.  Hands up if you’re guilty of switching on your handset even before your flight has completely landed, or whether it’s the first thing you look at in the morning.

While several studies seem to corroborate that basically everything can be linked to cancer and other illnesses, those based on cell phone radiation are a bit more plausible.

“[Cell phone radiation is like] what happens to food in microwaves, essentially cooking the brain,”-  Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles

Whether these effects are true, I would rather be safe than sorry…which is why I bought the Moshi Moshi.  Other than look super retro, it’s a device that can be plugged into cell phones or PCs/laptops for internet calls.  As it plugs into a 3.5mm audio jack, it’s compatible with a majority of cell phones.  After buying it, here’s my take:

Pros:

• Great sound: With the exception of a few calls, the sound has overall been as good as if I were using the handset alone
  • Lightweight
  • As my handset is not rubbing against my brain, it reduces up to 96% of cell phone radiation exposure
  • Feels more natural than talking into a headset
  • Can be tucked between my shoulder and ear and enables hands-free operation/continued handset use during a call

The only con that I can think of is that some might find it annoying to carry around.  Personally, the size of my day-to-day handbags probably gives Mary Poppins a run for her money, so I can just shove it in when I am not using my phone.  As for the times when I am carrying a clutch (e.g. during nights out), chances are my phone calls won’t last over 2-3 minutes.

For 129 dirhams (~£22/$30), I am more than happy with my purchase.  I still sleep next to my cell phone and I sometimes forget to plug in my Moshi Moshi, but overall some precaution beats none.  If brain cells could speak, I’m sure mine would be thanking me :) !  And while it’s a great solution to reduce cell phone radiation, there are other ways to reduce exposure too:

• Avoid using your handset when signal is weak: the fewer the bars, the stronger the radiation.
  • Hold phone away from your body: even storing it in your shirt/jeans pocket is harmful as soft tissues absorb radiation.
  • Text/BBM/Whatsapp: Phones use less power (=less radiation) to send text than voice. Messaging also keeps radiation away from your head.
  • Save longer conversations for wired/cordless phones.
  • Alternate which ear you listen to the cell phone with to halve the radiation to each side of your head.
  • Switch your phone on to airplane mode if you keep it by your bed for the alarm.  Otherwise keep it away from your bed.

Alexandra March 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

So informational girl! I need to share some of this info with my dad– he’s on the phone so much for work haha

Errign March 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Interesting info!

Honey What's Cooking March 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm

glad you did a post on this. so helpful. i do worry about it, i think our generation will see crazy things when we’re 50. so scared.

glad to know my zara post helped you.. love that. omg, post what you bought in another post.. i’d love to see. :-)

Khushboo Thadani March 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Zara really is the best! I don’t think I can ever have ‘enough’ of that place!

Parita March 17, 2012 at 12:47 am

Really interesting post, K! I know I’m guilty of talking way too much on my cell phone but am honestly trying to cut back. I’m with you…better safe than sorry!

Brittany March 17, 2012 at 1:00 am

Guilty as charged..I turn my phone off much too soon before I land..oops.

Christina Does It All March 17, 2012 at 1:52 am

ah! good to know.

Sig March 17, 2012 at 6:41 am

Ha wow – never knew all of this – I use my phone for pretty much everything and never really thought about the radiation effects. I do love your Moshi Moshi handset (which when I saw I could tell it was Japanese – so cute!) and juding by the size of my bag I could fit it in there too so not a bad idea :)

Khushboo Thadani March 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

For what it’s worth, it’s definitely way more snazzy than those ear pieces ;) !

Tessa at Amazing Assett March 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hrmm very interesting information here… I really did not know much of this! Allows me to think of some of my own routines :)

Nada March 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Great tips! I got into a habit of putting my phone on airplane mode at night but sometimes I just get lazy. The Moshi Moshi looks awesome though – where did you buy it from in Dubai?

Khushboo Thadani March 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

From Virgin Megastores in Mall of Emirates (ground floor)!

Ameena March 18, 2012 at 8:26 am

Thinking about this is sort of scary…but I’m glad you addressed it! I think we all need to be a little more diligent about using our phones since we have no idea what the long term effects will be!

Khushboo Thadani March 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Better safe than sorry right!

Sarah March 19, 2012 at 5:05 am

This is such a great post! I’ve never really given much thought to mobile phone radiation, but I’m definitely going to look into buying one of these. Thank you!

Khushboo Thadani March 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Sarah :)

Alyse March 19, 2012 at 10:58 am

It’s really scary to think our cell phones – which have become basically an extra appendage – are slowly killing us with radiation. Thanks for this post, and for all your suggestions to reduce the risk. I use my hands-free most of the time, and try not to bring my cell phone to bed with me, or put it (or my purse) in my lap when I’m driving.

Khushboo Thadani March 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

I used to have the worst habit of lying down with my Blackberry on me or right next to me…I now try to keep it at least 5 inches away when I’m sitting/lying down!

forgottenbeast March 21, 2012 at 1:20 am

Good tips! I’ve started turning my phone off at night, ’cause I realize I leave my cell RIGHT next to my head all night, while I’m not moving, just soaking up any potential harm.

Khushboo Thadani March 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Exactly…potential and unnecessary harm! I need to take a page out of your book and shut it off!

Rhian July 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Actually I usually turn off my cellphone while in flight because hubby really wanted us to follow instruction for safety purposes. But I wanted to follow your tips “Switch your phone on to airplane mode if you keep it by your bed for the alarm” I usually placed it on top of the pillow so now I will try to follow your recommendation. Thanks

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I am guilty of using my phone on flight – going to make sure I don’t on my next trip!

Tom July 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

I’ll be honest, this is more bad news for cell phones on top of all kinds of similar stories I’ve heard. I still recall how shocked I was when I saw popcorn getting popped with cell phones. Thanks for taking the time to try and inform people, and showing there’s small things that can be done. Regardless, cell phones are becoming something most people can’t function without.

Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Glad to be of help, Tom! I’m in shock about that tidbit about popcorn and cell phones…I had no idea but it just makes the whole thing that much more frightening!

Tom - cypress laptop repair July 31, 2012 at 10:03 am

Such useful and vital information. This definitely puts things in perspective for me. Now I know why texting was introduced into the world of technology! After reading this blog entry, I think that I’m going to strictly put my calls on speaker mode or text (not that I haven’t been doing that mostly already). Thank you for supplying myself and others this info.

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Tom, although I’m still guilty of phone overuse ;) !

Suraj July 31, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi,What a wonderful blog.Please check out mine as well its at the link http://ganerzandwwe.blogspot.com its about wwe,gaming,cricket and
lots of entertaining stuff,you might not find much on it as i have just started it but i hope you find it good and entertaining

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks!

Suraj July 31, 2012 at 11:20 am

Hi,sorry about the re-entry put the wrong blog address sorry about that.Please check out mine as well its at the link http://gamerzandwwe.blogspot.com its about wwe,gaming,cricket and