No whey!

by Khushboo on December 15, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, grocery shopping is a completely different experience in Mumbai & London. For starters, the products available vary.

There are some foods I still bring back when I travel:
Some I’ve learned to live without:
Some I try to recreate:

If you’ve been reading my blog for some time, you’ll know I’m somewhat a dairy fan: frozen yogurt, milk, cheese, ice cream–> you name it, I love it!  While Greek yogurt is yet to be found in Mumbai’s supermarkets, fortunately plain yogurt is available.  As a result it is still possible for me to regularly indulge my cravings for thick, creamy, and protein-rich Greek yogurt. The only difference: it requires a step or 5 post-purchase:

How To Hang Your Own Yogurt In 5 Easy Steps:

What you’ll need

• Cheese-cloth/piece of fabric
  • Plain yogurt
  • A plate

Method
1) Place the cheesecloth over the plate

2) Empty out the container of yogurt into the cheesecloth

3) Bring together the corners of the cheesecloth and then knot it up

4) Hang it over a sink for 2-3 hours, until the liquid whey drips out

5) Unwrap the cheesecloth, and spoon out the thickened yogurt into a container.  Store in refrigerator.

Any foods you can’t imagine living without?

forgottenbeast December 15, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Peanut butter…I don’t know what I’d do without it. I’m dairy-free, so I can do without those (plus I’ve never had Greek yogurt–it became the “in” thing after I went vegan, so I never got the chance), but yeah, peanut butter is a part of way too many meals for me.

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Oh peanut butter is definitely on my list..I should have added that I bring those back too even though they occasionally do sell the natural varieties here…I wouldn’t want to risk it!

Errign December 15, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I hated how expensive peanut butter was when I lived in Ireland! I’ve never really had to live without certain foods though…

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Sometimes it’s harder when the food you love is available but the price is extortionate! My sister, as much as it kills her, pays $10 per Greek yogurt in China!

Karina December 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm

i really need to try this method of making greek yogurt esp since its 10$ a pot here!!! Cannot imagine not having some sort of nut butter around the kitchen – a necessity for us. Oh and also coffee or tea – am i grouch if i don’t get my morning cup of caffeine.

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Yes you seriously need to..I’ll get you a cheese cloth! And I can vouch for that last part of your comment heheheh

Ameena December 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Who cares about these things when you can get authentic dosa, samosas, and paranthas? Those are all one really needs to subsist. :)

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Hahhaah man I need to move to Cali and you need to move here…if I’m going to splurge, samosas and paranthas are definitely not what I’m going after! Give me mac & cheese and cheesecake please!

Parita December 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Do you like shrikand (sweetened Indian yogurt dessert)? This post reminded me of it! Yum!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m not a big fan of Indian desserts but this actually sounds like something I would enjoy given the ‘dhai’ ingredient! :)

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) December 15, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oh wow, that’s so cool!! I’ve never done that before but I’m a huge greek yogurt fan. It’s always more expensive, though. This is a great idea.

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Yup I didn’t even thing about the cost benefit of this benefit so added points to it eh!

goodformegirl December 16, 2011 at 12:04 am

I really enjoyed being away from familiar foods for the most part when I studied abroad, but at the same time was SO excited when I discovered an American grocery store with all my favorite treats.

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Me too…it’s about a 20 minute drive from me so I don’t go too often but when I do, I always get excited!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 16, 2011 at 4:39 am

I have never made my own greek yogurt… but should give it a try! Just to shake things up :)
And I could not live without almond butter, sweet potatoes, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and APPLES!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Ah sweet potatoes and apples are a necessity for me too! I love cottage cheese but I have learnt to live without it…I don’t think I could even attempt to recreate it here!

jojo December 16, 2011 at 5:56 am

That is so easy! I definitely have to give this a try.
I use yogurt for low fat baking quite often, this may be a good addition to the ingredient since it’s less watery… :)

I cannot live without chocolate, but I think they have that anywhere in the world.. so I’m in luck :D

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Let me know if you give it a shot! I’ve used yogurt in baking before and it definitely adds a fluffy texture!

Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You made your own yogurt? That is so awesome! :)
If Nakd bars were sold here in Germany, I would def take them with me when I travel or when I’m on the go!

Foods I cant live without: Fruit, yogurt and bread!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

You’d have no problem in Mumbai- all 3 are here in abundance!

Tara December 16, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I am a dairy addict. I love my creamy greek yogurt and cottage cheese! I definitely want to try making my own sometime. I wonder if it would work with flavored yogurt too. I’ll have to investigate!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

That’s a great idea about trying it with flavored yogurts! I normally jazz this up with peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla essence, cocoa butter and other add-ins I have at home!

Biana | Meal Planning Tips December 17, 2011 at 1:31 am

Thank you for sharing this simple way for making Greek yogurt!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

You’re welcome!

caloricandcrazy December 17, 2011 at 5:32 am

I’m glad it’s only five steps otherwise I’d probably be to lazy to attempt making this ;)

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Haha for real, I think 5 steps is my limit!

Simply Life December 17, 2011 at 5:53 am

wow! this is so impressive! nice work!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Thanks!

Gayatri December 17, 2011 at 7:23 am

Ohhhhh! Now I know how to get my Greek yogurt fix if and when we move back. I used to think I cannot live without Melbourne’s coffee. But I managed just fine. Now I’m convinced I cannot live without Mumbai’s junk food!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Any plans of moving back? Fortunately for my waist line, I’ve never been a food of the junk food here…gimme Doritos and Oreos any day instead!

Alexiasana December 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

oh i love finncrisp multigrain thins.. i found them in austria a while ago and love how light and crunchy they taste! perfect topped with goats cheese and balsamic glaze ;) i have tried to make yoghurt myself but in the end i am too lazy to do it on a regular base!

Khushboo Thadani December 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Finn Crisp are one of my fave crackerbreads, especially with peanut butter and mashed banana or mashed avocado and cream cheese!

Maneka Chotirmall December 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

Love making hung yogurt-its a great snack when paired with vegtable sticks.I currently can’t image living without bread-especially Rye from LPQ :)

Khushboo Thadani December 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm