How to get rich QUICK

by Khushboo on October 18, 2011

Contrary to my post yesterday about there being no shortcuts in life, there are a few exceptions.  Let’s face it, we’re all after the same thing: MONEY!  And if you can cash in some moolah without too much effort, you’re not going to turn down the offer…I know I wouldn’t, as long as I’m not breaking the law!  Lucky for you, I know the secret to getting rich easily:

1. Head to your nearest supermarket
  2. Find the peanut butter aisle
  3. Smooth, crunchy, flavor variants, whatever: STOCK UP!
  4. Sell later

You know how now is the time to buy gold? Apparently the same applies for peanut butter.  No I’m not ‘nuts’.  The Wall Street Journal reports that prices for Jif, Peter Pan, and other peanut butter jars will going up as much as 40% starting in a couple of weeks.  Thanks to Mother Nature and the decline in the yield of peanut crops this past growing season, the wholesale price of peanuts has shot up from $450 a ton to $1,150 a ton. I know I’m not alone when I admit that my ‘demand’ for peanut butter is more or less inelastic: despite a price increase, I’m still going to ‘shell out’ for it it.

The Economics geek in me coming out ;)

The Economics geek in me comes out

Take it from me, if you want to live the good (and delicious) life, invest NOW in a few jars of peanut butter before its status changes from a ‘food staple’ to a ‘luxury item’.  Given my current peanut butter stash, it looks like a baller lifestyle is only a hop, SKIPPY and a jump away from me :D !

Next round of drinks sandwiches are on me!

Besides this, what’s the most unexpected piece of advice you’ve received recently?

lovetotrain October 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

if what you saying is true….
1. i’m gonna have a little cry first.
2. I’m off to load up at the supermarket… byee!!

Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2011 at 10:53 am

Haha seriously I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!

Sara K October 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Well don’t you know how to make an attractive blog post title ;) I’m barely awake, but anything that says “How to get rich QUICK” let alone penned by you deserves my pre-coffee attention.
I actually saw this news about the peanut prices going up- crazyyy! Good thing I have about three different jars stocked- but I’ll have to tell my sister considering she’s the family’s PB-phile :)

Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hahah I was debating between this title and “Nutty News” but I figured the chosen would be more appealing :D !! The term ‘PB-Phile’ cracked me up!

Tara October 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Wow, that is crazy! I’ll be stocking up on pb, but not to sell it… I’m keeping it all for myself so I don’t have to pay more later!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) October 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Wow that’s insane! The world really is coming to an end. I’d say I’ll stock up but I’ll just end up finishing it twice as fast so that would be fruitless :)

Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hahah something tells me my attempts will be fruitless too….and my bank account will be a lot lower than I’d like :-/

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ahh this is nuts! I agree with Tara, I will also be stocking up on PB!

Parita October 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Umm YES! I saw ~30% increase in PB prices when I went to pick up a jar yesterday. CRAZY! I definitely need to stock up…

Tracy's Treats October 19, 2011 at 1:41 am

Hmm, I guess I should go stock up now!

Errign October 19, 2011 at 3:09 am

This is definitely the most unexpected piece of advice I’ve gotten lately. Thanks for the heads up!

Manek Chotirmall October 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

This is really upsetting. I eat peanut butter like it’s going out of fashion! Definitely going to buy loads before the price increases.

Candice October 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

hI! im new to your blog! found it via mealsandmiles! Seriously!? PB going up!? Question is what ISN’T going to rise.. I feel like my grocery bill has doubled in the past month or so!

Khushboo Thadani October 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Welcome to my blog :) ! I agree with you completely–> rising prices = the story of my life :-/

Anand October 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Hey – it could be worse. At least we don’t have deflation.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com October 19, 2011 at 7:34 pm

You are hilarious and BRILLIANT at the same time. This pb thing is really making me so sad. I will be stocking up for ME and not sharing with anyone ha:)

Ameena October 19, 2011 at 8:54 pm

My doctor told me to stop eating nuts of any type because I am apparently unable to process them properly. I suddenly find this to be good news! As I will be saving money on peanut butter. :)

spinach&spice October 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I thought I was going to faint when I heard this. One of my local supermarkets literally pulled pb off the shelfs for a while.. completely! Almond butter lovers unite ;)

IHeartVegetables October 20, 2011 at 8:08 am

Uhhh so I read this and I literally YELLED to my man-friend “OH MY GOSH, THERE IS A PEANUT BUTTER SHORTAGE!!!” (He thought I said “sandwich” not “Shortage” but even when I explained it, he STILL didn’t see to get the crisis-ness of this situation.) *sigh* Maybe it’s because I always have peanut butter breath.

The point is, I’m stocking up.

forgottenbeast October 21, 2011 at 12:22 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I most definitely have a ridiculous stockpile of peanut butter in my house right now in preparation of rising prices. But no way am I selling that stuff, it’s all for me :D

Alexiasana October 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm

what a great advice! love this post! cant believe the price of peanut butter is meant to go up 40%. should def stock up and sell it to all my friends in a couple of months!!

deepka October 25, 2011 at 1:44 am

you know, i never realized you loved PB so much…i don’t know if u know I work on JIF. If you ever want some, let me know and I can send you’re way! I also know about a few new launches that you will LOVE when they come out :) Will have to send you some when they’re on the market!!

Khushboo Thadani October 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Whaaat- you have the best job ever :) !