Brown paper bag: week 4

by Khushboo on September 8, 2011

Everyone has that one food which they ALWAYS keep at home.  Are you surprised that mine is peanut butter?  Last year, I made the mistake of underestimating my capcaity to get through a jar and lo and behold, we eventually ran out of peanut butter.  Sure, I could have rushed to the supermarket to buy a replacement jar…if natural peanut butter was freely available in Mumbai.  Fortunately my sister in Dubai came to the rescue and sent me some.  Since that dreadful day, you better believe I stock up at every chance I get.  I currently have 3 unopened jars in the pantry and my mom who is now travelling just picked me up a couple more.  If you are as ‘nutty’ about peanut butter as I am, this  lunch is for you!

Packed Lunch: The Peanut Butter Lovers Edition

Before I dive into the food, check out the new lunch-bag my mom hooked me up with:

Apparently showcasing my past plastic bag lunch-bag  is a bad reflection on her….*cough* dramatic *cough* 😀

• My current favorite sandwich

Peanut butter & tofu on rye bread from Le Pain Quotidien–> best bread ever!

• Carrot sticks topped with even more peanut butter
  • Pineapple & choc chips

Is it possible to inject sugar into crops?  I’m pretty sure that’s what the farmers here are doing with pineapple!

Random F.Y.I: Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter, making it one of the most frequently purchased  items  in the supermarket.  And if I lived in the US, that might change to $900 million ;)!

**For those who missed my tips for packing lunches, you can take a look at them here**

What’s your “it always NEEDS to be at home” food?

spinach&spice September 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’m sure bloggers alone make up 95% of the pb intake! 😀
I ate a huuuge container of pineapple yesterday.. it really has been so sweet lately!
Apples NEED to be in my home.. allll day every day

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

Woah I’m realising how high-maintenance I am with my ‘need to be at home’ foods…apples are on the list too 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’m a PB LOVER too! It’s kind of disturbing how fast a jar disappears with me around. Bananas are another must have for me. I use them in pretty much every breakfast meal I make.

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

Hahah I may or ma not have freaked out a couple of months ago when there were no bananas at home….it wasn’t pretty!

Sara K September 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm

The bread at Le Pain Quotidien IS so good- the only one I’ve ever eaten at though is the one in Colaba…haha I had no idea they were actually a Belgium-based chain till recently 😉
Hmm, my must-always-have: GREEK YOGHURT, i swear i eat that stuff with everything

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

Haha I love how Mumbai-fied you are :)! Yogurt is a staple for me too- at least one container is always in the fridge!

Karina Chattlani September 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm

natural pb has been a long time staple. My new staples are frozen bananas, and coconut water and greens – best way to start my morning is with a dairy free green monster!

runningismagical September 9, 2011 at 12:51 am

Not having PB readily available at a local store sounds difficult! And most food/fitness bloggers LOVE their PB, US bloggers probably consume 90% of the PB ahha

lovetotrain September 9, 2011 at 1:56 am

best post!!!i’m a peanut butter addict too!! i also only buy natural peanut butter and not every store has it.. so i can’t just go out and get it from any old shop when i run out- but MAN!! I will never complain again- another city??!!! why don’t you try make your own?? In fact I might try make my own too 🙂

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

I should try making it at home but I”ll be honest- it’s so much easier to just buy the bottle 🙂

Priyanka September 9, 2011 at 4:53 am

PB=love. I love all the fancy nut butters but nothing can beat the good ole’ PB!

Tracy's Treats September 9, 2011 at 9:44 am

Haha, I love peanut butter too. So so good! My “need to have at home” food is blueberries! I can eat them by the carton!

Tracy's Treats September 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

PS – Love the new banner!

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks!

caloricandcrazy September 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

Peanut butter and tofu? sounds like a quirky combination….quite intriguing!

Khushboo Thadani September 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

It’s great- tofu has quite a neutral taste so it just packs in a good dose of protein!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Yep! Peanut butter is a must have at all times in our house too. And I’m dying because I order mine off Amazon for a steal when they have deals come through. I didn’t estimate enough last time to get me through the next deal cycle and have been having to pay 3x as much for it these days. Although I better stop my bellyaching because at least I have access to it. I cuoldn’t imagine not having natural pb at stores.

Errign September 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Mmmm peanut butter. That’s a necessity for me too!

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com September 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm

YOU RAN OUT OF PB!!!!! Oh the pain:) Girl, you are hilarious. LOVE the bag and that sandwich is making me drool. Hope you have the best weekend ever!

jenandberries September 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Pineapple and chocolate chips sounds sweet man. haha. My must have food is eggs, I’m lucky they are so cheep or I would be doomed!

Ffion @ Chocolate & Raspberries September 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love PB too! Although I think my must have food is probably eggs or chocolate, I could eat both all day!

Lenna (veganlenna) September 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

PB and tofu? Now that is clever! I have started making my own nut butters last year, so now I have sort of neverending supplies 🙂 Whenever I see some nuts, I go and turn them into a butter, it´s almost an obsession 🙂
I need to have apples in my house, every single day. If I run out of them, I have to go to shop immediately, even if it´s already 12 p.m. (that really happend to me once 🙂

Khushboo Thadani September 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Haha I won’t be surprised if I remember a time where I’ve done the same…however I do remember going to the newsagent in my pjs because we were outta yogurt and I wanted it for breakfast!

Maria Braganza January 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm

My “it needs to be at home” food is definitely Maggi Noodles and Veggiemite….

Khushboo Thadani January 13, 2012 at 11:31 am

Maggi noodles are the best!