Today’s my birthday and
I’ma cry if I want to I’m turning the big 2-3! Fortunately I haven’t yet reached an age where each subsequent birthday fills me with dread about growing older. The way I see it is that I’m another year wiser, I get to eat cake, spend time with good friends/family, and feel like the most loved person in the world- not a bad deal eh :)! So before I continue with the birthday shenanigans, I thought I’d leave you with 23 lessons that I’ve learnt over the years:
- Maintaining and developing relationships is an active process! There’s no such thing as taking a backseat. Stop waiting for a call or email–>do it. If you want to meet new people, get out and initiate conversation.
- Perfect is subjective
- Save a fraction of your moolah…you never know when it’ll come handy
- When it comes to haircuts, paying more is worth it!
- Buy what you’re comfortable in, not what’s in fashion.
- Cooking is something everyone should learn: it saves you money, helps you maintain your weight and impresses others 😉
- If you’re going to gossip, refrain from doing so in public places
- A life with a few amazing friends is far more fulfilling than a life with several acquaintances
- If you don’t love yourself, don’t expect others to either.
- Express gratitude…always!
- It’s not vain to graciously accept a compliment.
- You have one body so treat it right: Eat healthily, exercise regularly, drink water, indulge moderately, rest adequately.
- The thought of getting out of your comfort zone is often scarier than the actual doing part.
- Keep your brain active: do new things, learn new things, and explore new ideas to avoid falling into a mental rut.
- Age is nothing but a number…and if it was, I’d probably be left with very few friends.
- Random acts of kindness are far more special than just doing them on birthdays/special occasions
- Embrace change: situations change, people change, life changes. Accepting it will make the transition that much easier.
- Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but instead the mature and sensible thing to do.
- Google has the answer to everything.
- Besides sleep & travel, very few things happen overnight.
- No matter how something turns out, it always ends up as it should. You either succeed or learn something: win-win.
- Not everyone is going to agree with you. All that matters is that you’re convinced.
- If you go for a run in an unfamiliar city, it’s always wise to carry an emergency phone number!
And one for good luck:
- Back up, back up back up (Technology-related instruments that is 😉 )!!
What’s one thing piece of advice which you have picked up over the years?