24 Lessons in 24 years

by Khushboo on June 5, 2012

And just like that, another amazing birthday has passed!  As cheesy as it sounds, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of heart for all their wishes.  Between all the phone calls, Facebook wall posts, text/Blackberry/Whatsapp messages, status shout-outs, tweets, balloons, flowers, cakes, gifts and so forth, thank you all for truly making me feel like the most special girl!  If ever there was a time I needed a reminder of how loved I am, I just hope it falls around my birthday :) .

So apparently with age comes wisdom.  When I turned 23 last year, I posted 23 lessons which I’ve learned over the years  While this might be rather debatable, I’d like to think that I am slightly wiser than I was at this time last year.  On that note, here are 24 more pieces of my “wisdom”:

1) Time doesn’t heal anything- it’s what you do with the time

2) Some things in life are worth paying a bit extra for

3) Diversify your assets- Rupee/US $ exchange rate, I’m lookin’ at you…

4) If you’re comfortable where you are, something needs to change. The only way to grow is to get out of your comfort zone

5) There is nothing more important than relationships: whether personal or professional, foster & build them up.

6) Fat doesn’t make you fat

7) People respond better when you’re polite

8) As long as your hair is done and heels are on, you can get away with just about any outfit

9) Know what gives you your natural high and replicate as needed

10) It’s rarely ever about you

11) If you can’t change your circumstance, change your perspective

12) There’s no point wasting energy on things which are out of your control

13) Leaving a glass of water next to an open laptop is only asking for trouble

14) Every experience is meaningful: if it’s good, you gain from it and if it’s bad, you learn from it

15) For perfect cookies, always remove them from the oven a few minutes before they are done

16) Laughter brings people together

17) Never put your bag or phone down in public places…ever

18) Smiling burns more calories than frowning…and it looks better too

19) You don’t owe anything to anyone…except your mom…you kinda owe her a lot

20) Whether you want a job, different size, help, favor, or pay rise…just ask. The worst that can happen is you’ll be told no, and you already have that

21) Always double check your receipts before paying/signing

22) There are no shortcuts to success, just hard work & perseverance

23) Never buy a pair of pants that fit 100% comfortably…unless you want to land up with the “saggy butt effect”

24) If you don’t respect yourself, don’t expect others too

And one for good luck

25) You can indeed have your cake and eat it tooI know I did

…Just for the record, I am officially caked out!

What’s one  lesson you’ve learned over the years?

Parita June 5, 2012 at 7:02 pm

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, K!!!! I hope this coming year is full of nothing but love and happiness! :)

The one thing I’ve heard a lot over the years but am only coming to learn myself is that you can’t change people. You can only control/change/work on you.

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks so much, P! I love that lesson – it’s so true: change what you CAN!

Ujvara June 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Khushhhh I love reading your post and this was super.. glad to hear that you had a wonderful bday. and I wish many more happy ones in the future.. muaaa

ps: when can a girl have too much cake :p

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks so much Ponari….and the answer to that is never hahah!

sprint2thetable June 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Happy Birthday!!! This is such a great post. I agree with every one of your 25… and I wish I had been that insightful at 25. LOL!

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hahah I bet you were and thank you :) !

Alexandra June 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I absolutely LOVE THIS and I love you!! Happy birthday my friend!!! :D

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Alexandra!

Krystal@Ms.Random June 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Sounds like you had a great birthday, wishing you the best for this year :) 23. “Saggy Butt” Lol too funny, love it. Great post, there is always something to learn in life and about yourself.

Have a great rest of the week!

XX

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hahah funny yet irritating when it actually happens ;) ! Hope your week is off to a great start!

Alex @ therunwithin June 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Happy birthday! yOu know which one my favorite is… fat doesn’t make you fat. That is a beautiful one

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m so glad you agree too…fat’s kinda amazing (as weird as it sounds)!

Lauren June 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Happy Birthday!!!! I love this post – I semi recently turned 24 too, and it’s great to look back and reflect on all the things that I had learned over the years.

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Happy “belated” birthday :) !

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) June 6, 2012 at 4:18 am

Happy Birthday!! I am rather in love with the idea of this post and all of what you said! The fat doesn’t make you fat one stood right out to me, as that was something I struggled with for YEARS. Haha and yes to the cookies one, underbaked is my favorite :)
No short cuts indeed, no matter how you look at it! Enjoy the day girl!!

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Tess…it really was a great day!

Honey What's Cooking June 6, 2012 at 7:02 am

Happy Birthday Khushboo.. really nice post. Love the one about the jeans. What I’ve learned is… since I love dessert so much, sometimes it’s ok to skip a meal and just enjoy dessert. :-)

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Oh so true…and sometimes it’s also okay to have dessert first!

Meg June 6, 2012 at 7:10 am

Sweetheart! This is amaaaaazing :) I am so proud of you for writing such an incredible post! But, you always do ;)

Happy belated birthday!

I am so sorry my birthday wishes were late :(

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Better late than never- thanks a million Meg :) !

ritika June 6, 2012 at 11:50 am

belated birthday wishes for you and belated because i was travelling :( and may this be the best year yet. and at the risk of sounding so, so corny, – may you have all things as lovely as you are.

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Haha I have a tendency to be super corny so the more corniness the better! Thanks for your wishes and hope your travels were a blast!

ritika June 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm

note to self: #20,22, 23 [omg so true], 24, 25, 19, 10 [it's kinda hard], but every bit true.
incredible post.

Khushboo Thadani June 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm

So glad you agree too! :)

Renee Andrea Reddy June 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Hi Khushboo!! Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like it was an awesome one and I am totally loving your post about the life lessons, very insightful but also made me chuckle! I’ve been a silent reader for a while and totally love your blog and your amazing journey, such an inspiration! Blogs like yours are the reason why I decided to take the plunge and start my own, it’s still in it’s baby stages though! Anyway I think you should totally keep celebrating your birthday for as long as possible, I vote birthday week :)

Khushboo Thadani June 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wow Renee, thank you for such a lovely comment! I am so glad you enjoy my blog and thanks for saying “hi”! Congrats on starting your own blog, will definitely check it out! :)

forgottenbeast June 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

GREAT life lessons! Especially #15. That one is very VERY important ;D Happy birthday my dear, I’m glad it was a good one!

Khushboo Thadani June 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thanks so much and it really is important…I learned the hard way when I ended up with rock-hard cookies!

Ameena June 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! You’ve definitely learned a lot in your 24 years…a whole lot more than I’ve learned in my 36! Love this list.

My tip is this: a job is just a job. If you hate if don’t hesitate to move on for one second because there are way better options out there.

Khushboo Thadani June 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

Love your tip and it’s so true….never sell yourself short!

Gayatri June 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

Happy birthday again KT! You sound so much wiser than I was at 24. Seriously. I have no advice or tips for you. But I will share my mistakes with you over a drink when I meet you next just for fun!

Khushboo Thadani June 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thanks so much, G! Looking forward to hearing (and hopefully learning from) your mistakes :) !

sonalii1988 June 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm

This is such a great post, i read it twice! So young and yet so wise ;) Love no. 12: “There’s no point wasting energy on things which are out of your control.” it’s something that i have to remind myself of from time to time! Glad you had such a great birthday! Those cakes look soo good!

Sig June 20, 2012 at 9:06 am

Happy birthday KT! you are one wise woman :D I loved these lessons and seriously, at 29 when I’m meant to be all mature and heading into my 30′s soon….I’ve barely got any tips to share. But ok, here is one:

Don’t wait for happiness – make it happen. You don’t need anyone else to do that – just you. You are your own happiness. :)

Khushboo Thadani June 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thanks so much, Sig! I love that lesson about happiness…hardly is it ever served on a silver platter. We gotta make things happen!