The C Diet

by Khushboo on November 30, 2015

Hey guys! I’m currently writing this on my flight back to Bombay from Florence.  I’ve been looking through the photos on my phone and man, what a whirlwind of an amazing week! I mentioned in my last post that I came to Florence for my friend Roshni’s wedding.  Between the the decor, warmth of both families, food, reuniting with so many of my friends and most importantly seeing what a perfect fit Roshni & Rohan are, I’m so grateful to have been part of their special occasion.  Attending an Indian wedding always reminds me how grateful I am for our culture & traditions…and the fact that a wedding means at least 3 days straight of partying ;)!

RoRo 2015 with the couple

Although I didn’t get a chance to sightsee much this trip, I definitely explored Florence through its food. It’s safe to say I was on the C Diet this past week: Carbs, chocolate, cheese and coffee. When in Florence eh ;)!  Given the annoying beef ban in bombay, I made sure to get my fix too:

Tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese

Tagliatelle al Ragu Bolognese

You’d think I’d come back bloated and ready to detox but truthfully speaking, I’m feeling okay…great in fact.  I definitely ate way more than normal but isn’t that what holidays are about?!  Given it’s not every day I fly to Italy, I made sure to enjoy it fully sans any regrets.

With the holidays coming up I know many people tend to stress over the weight gain that comes from the extra eating so I just wanted to touch on that quickly.  Rather than give you tips on how to ‘minimise the damage‘, I’ll tell you this: A few days of extra indulgences won’t cause any REAL damage. Even if the scales do go up, I can almost guarantee that most of it is water weight that will go after a few days of regular eating.  And like always, eventually your body will remind you how efficient it is at the whole balance thing.  You’ll naturally start craving more greens & lighter foods in general…I know I definitely am!  As much as I love pizza, right now the idea of grilled chicken & broccoli sounds so much more appealing. When you look back, you’re going to remember the memories you shared with your loved ones over amazing food & multiple glasses of wine, not the time when you denied a craving out of guilt.  As much as I’m all about eating for physical health, taking care of our mental health is equally important.  And that means eating & living without stress.  There’s a time for salad and there’s a time for that extra scoop of gelato.

Florence Cathedral

Florence Cathedral

I head to Thailand for another wedding on Thursday but I’m planning to fit in a few solid workouts before that.  Between that, catching up with sleep, hydrating like it’s my job and enjoying some home-cooked meals, I have no doubt I’ll be as good as new.  I probably won’t put up a post till the week after next but obviously I will instagramming my way through so follow me if you aren’t already: @khushboothadani. Eat drink and truly be merry, friends :)!

How do you ‘recover’ after over-indulging?

What’s your approach on holiday eating?

Parita @ myinnershakti November 30, 2015 at 6:45 pm

After a week of “letting go,” I was thinking about how I’m going to reset in December. For me, this just means I’ll eat more veggies, drink more water, and exercise regularly. When it comes to this, I find that keeping it simple works best for me!

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Love your sensible approach to resetting, P!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig November 30, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Ahhh I miss Italy! It’s safe to say I was on the C diet for three months straight. And no beef in Bombay? Whaaaaat! I’m looking forward to seeing your posts about Thailand, because it’s high on my list of next potential destinations.

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Haha tell me about it- this beef ban really doesn’t sit well with me at all!!

dixya | food, pleasure, and health November 30, 2015 at 9:56 pm

you little traveler, im so jealous!!!! i had a pretty delicious weekend and it will probably continue to be like this for the next month. i plan on eating my usual breakfast, drinking water, and working out as often as i can keep things balanced 🙂

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:27 pm

A healthy breakfast is always a good idea- regardless how the rest of your day pans out, at least you have one healthy meal under your belt!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets December 1, 2015 at 5:40 am

Here, here. I love this message. It is packed with so much truth and sensibility.

Also, Indian weddings are amazing. Enjoy the next round.

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Thanks so much, my friend!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape December 1, 2015 at 9:27 am

Love this! I’m all about enjoying and embracing the moment – food is such a big part of all celebrations! I am looking forward to Christmas, taking some time out and enjoying lots of yummy food with my family!

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I totally agree- food is almost the highlight of any holiday!!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West December 1, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Hi K! I studied abroad in Florence in college and have always wanted to go back with my husband. And I have TOTALLY been on the C diet, with a bunch of W (wine) as well. No big deal, it’s the holiday season for heaven’s sake. 🙂

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Oh wow that’s so awesome that you studied in Florence! Would love to read more about it- potential post idea for the future?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 4, 2015 at 1:34 am

Sooooo jeaous of Florence! I think I ate and drank you way all the way through Italy and I’d do it all over again. I have that exact same pic of the cathedral. I can’t wait to go back!

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Given how delicious the food & wine is in Italy, it would be crazy to miss out!!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan December 4, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Khushboo – I so love your take on occasional over-indulging! I have to agree, our bodies are pretty good at the whole balance thing – provided we learn to listen to them and not let our cravings/desires get in the way.
By the way, my daughter would love to be on the the C Diet – especially in Florence! Safe travels to Thailand!

Khushboo December 12, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Haha sounds like your daughter has good taste ;)!

Zainab March 21, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Well I love the sound of the three C diet.
Trust me, I feel blessed that I stumbled upon your blog couple of years back & am losing weight the healthy way.
Three ‘C’ cheers for K weigh.
Xoxo

Khushboo March 24, 2016 at 11:38 am

Thanks for a lovely comment, Zainab!