The Ultimate Veggie Sandwich

by Khushboo on March 19, 2015

There’s no doubt that Mumbai’s food scene has really picked up over the last few years.  Unfortunately we still seem to be lacking in a certain food: Good sandwiches.  Subway chains are all over but I’m a little hesitant to eat there – lord knows how long their veggies have been sitting out for.  Indigo Deli has a huge list of sandwiches on their menus but I’m totally over their current options.  It’s about time they offered more options & a good starting point would be adding in some vegetarian sandwiches that don’t contain cheese- gotta keep the lactose-intolerant folks who don’t eat meat in mind!

Ultimate Veggie Sandwich set-up

Fortunately we do get great ingredients in Mumbai to create a mean sandwich at home.  Local farmers are expanding their horizons and making such fun produce available in the market like like microgreens, mange tout, kale, alfalfa sprouts & Swiss chard…yes I just called veggies fun :)!  Although avocados tend to be quite hit or miss here, my last 2 purchases have been on point which leads to me to lunch yesterday: an out-of-this-world-better-than-any-restaurant sandwich.

Ultimate Veggie Sandwich Open-Faced

Guys, this is the ultimate veggie sandwich.  I know some people struggle to come up with quick, meatless meals that actually taste good but trust me on this- you won’t even miss the meat on this one…or the cheese!  Go on, tell me you don’t want to get in on that:

Ultimate Veggie Sandwich

It’s too basic to be considered a recipe, but too delicious not to share at all:

The Ultimate Veggie Sandwich – Serves 1

What You’ll Need:

• Toasted wholewheat bagel  (or 2 slices wholewheat/rye toast)
  • 2 tablespoons hummus
  • 1/3 avocado, mashed
  • 1-2 tablespoons of grated carrots
  • ½ medium cucumber, sliced
  • Handful of microgreens

Method

1. Spread hummus across each bagel half (or slice of bread).
  2. Top both slices with avocado & grated carrots.
  3. Place cucumber slices on one half of the bagel & the microgreens on the other half.
  4. Close sandwich together and dig in!

******

Blogger confession: I ate this monstrous sandwich open-faced post-picture

On a separate note have you guys seen this link on 24 Must-See Diagrams That Will Make Eating Healthy Super Easy?  If not, check it out ASAP- so many great ideas & #4 will especially come in hand when you make this sandwich ;).

What’s your favorite sandwich combo?

Letizia@thefitlabel March 19, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Oh wow! that sandwich!! It looks delicious. I love hummus and avocado in sandwiches, and bagels are my favorites!

My favorite combinations are either a bagel sandwich with salmon and cream cheese, or a mozzarella, tomato and pesto sandwich on ciabatta bread.

Letizia@thefitlabel March 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Sorry they both contain dairy 🙁

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

You’re so sweet for apologising Letizia- not necessary at all! Smoked salmon & cream cheese is one of favourites too- definitely worth the occasional bout of discomfort ;)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

this just makes me really want a freakin’ bagel.I may have to pick one of those up soon…and you know how I feel about avocado on bready things 😉

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Avocado + carbs = WIN!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

YES to your Subway comment! I never go there anymore because I don’t trust that the ingredients are fresh.

And my favorite combo lately has been avocado, hummus, fried egg, and a little bit of sriracha. YUM!

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I remember reading that their breads have HFCS- just another reason to avoid Subway!

tiff @ love, sweat, & beers March 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Yum! Sounds great. I don’t know why I never think to make veggie sandwiches, but I do like them.

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Hope you give this a shot, Tiff :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 19, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Yum! I am all about hummus on anything. Can you believe the last time I had a vegetarian meal was with you?! Too funny.

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm

HAHAH NO WAY! I bet your next vegetarian meal will probably be with me too ;)!

shyamla March 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm

That looks like such a delicious sarnie and the fact that its a bagel sarnie makes even more tempting! Need to re-create this asap!! x

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Please try it soon- it has your name all over it!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan March 19, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Ooohoohooh!!! I am doing the vegetarian thing this month and never thought to use hummus as a spread on a veggie sandwich – girl – this is brilliant! I love veggies – yes, they excite me too – just as this sandwich does – best part yet – no need to share as it serves one! Though, knowing my daughter, she would grab half when I wasn’t looking!!!!

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Ooh I would love to hear more about your vegetarian experiment this month- how are you finding it so far?

Shashi at RunninSrilankan March 20, 2015 at 11:37 pm

You know Khushboo, I usually eat mostly vegetarian meals – but this month (for Lent) – knowing I cannot have any chicken or even fish – is killing me! I never realized how much I actually love chicken and fish till now! And I don’t think I am getting as much protein as I need as I am tired a good bit. On Easter, I am gonna eat chicken or fish at every meal!!! 🙂
Have a super weekend! xx

Khushboo March 27, 2015 at 10:11 am

Absence makes the heart grow fonder- hope you have a yummy menu planned for Easter…meat-filled of course 😉

Arman @ thebigmansworld March 20, 2015 at 8:30 am

Oh Subway. The one place where ALL veggies taste the same regardless of what country your in. That scares me.

I actually want a bagel now. Ours here suck though.

Khushboo March 20, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Not long to go till you can be living on American bagels 😀

GiGi Eats March 21, 2015 at 9:31 am

The avocado MAKES this sandwich, FOR SURE! 😉

Khushboo March 27, 2015 at 10:11 am

Yaaaaa know it 😉

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 23, 2015 at 1:59 am

I’d eat this, even without the cheese. 🙂

Sometimes I find purely veggie sandwiches less than fulfilling. They’re great and then I’m hungry again an hour later and usually because they fail to add protein. I think you’ve got that covered with the addition of hummus. Nicely done. Also the microgreens are gorgeous and so incredibly good for you.

Khushboo March 27, 2015 at 10:12 am

I completely agree- although I find that eating enough healthy fats can be as effective as protein in terms of staying power!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 27, 2015 at 5:25 pm

That’s good to know. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.