A few of my favourite things

by Khushboo on February 26, 2015

Was anyone else blown away by Lady Gaga’s performance at the Oscars on Sunday night?

I knew she had a great voice, but daaaay-umn- she killed it!  I personally think this classy look suits her far more than some of the looks she pulled off in the best.  Keeping up with the Sound of Music theme, here are a few of my favorite things…at least from this past week:

1) Wholemeal bagels a.k.a another reason why I am so grateful my body tolerates gluten fine.  I’ve been hooked on these for lunch this week.  My go-to sandwich combos is often turkey, avocado & mustard but a bagel topped with good ol’ butter never fails either.

Turkey Avocado Bagel

2) Have you guys heard of peanut flour? It’s made by grinding peanuts and then removing the oil.  As a result, peanut flour is relatively high in protein while being lower in fat- two tablespoons (30g) has 123 calories, 3.6g of fat & 15g of protein.  After hearing much about it, I recently bought a packet & I’m a fan.  I mixed in a couple of tablespoons into my smoothie and loved that it added a delicious peanut buttery flavor- just what I was going for.  Is it a good substitute for peanut butter?  In terms of flavor (e.g. in smoothies, oatmeal & peanut sauce) then yes. For instances where you don’t want to compromise on texture & creaminess (e.g. in sandwiches or as a fruit dipper), I’d stick with peanut butter.

Peanut Flour

3) And while the rest of the world is talking about snow storms, this is how I spent my morning yesterday.  Even though the weather in Mumbai is getting super hot, I am happy that swimming season is back!

Pool

4) As you probably know by now, oats are a staple for me at home.  Nutrition aside, they’re just so versatile.  If you’re looking for more ways to add this glorious grain to your diet, check out my recent post on Huffington Post: An Ode to Oats.

Screenshot

5) And speaking of Huffington Post, check out this article on The Day I Banned the ‘F’ Word From Our House.  It’s a super read on how ‘fat talk’ in front of kids can shape them in the long-term.

6) The Oscars might be over but I’m still playing catch-up with some of the nominated films.  I finally saw American Sniper last night.  I wish I saw it in the cinema but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  I thought Bradley Cooper did a bloody great acting job.  I read something crazy like he ate 8,000 calories per day to gain 40 lbs & did twice-a-day voice coaching sessions…all to  look & sound like Chris Kyle.

American Sniper

Source

♫ ♫ Brown paper packages tied up with strings…These are a few of my favorite things ♫ ♫

What’s your favorite bagel/sandwich combo?

What movie do you think should have won the Oscar this year? Theory of Everything

Rukhsana February 26, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hi Khushboo
My favorite bagel combo is cream cheese with an egg white omelette , yummy !
I agree with you – Theory of Everything was truly deserving but somehow its always the weird films that win it – did you see Birdman ?

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:05 am

You’re so right about the weird films winning- that almost always seems to be the case! I guess Hollywood is into quirky ;)!

Arman @ thebigmansworld February 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Um….Respect for adding butter AND avocado! Our bagels here are like bloody rocks!

I love using peanut flour as a flour (works so well in mug cakes and waffles) but peanut butter it is not. I unfortunately have been so out of the loop with movies this year!

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:05 am

I need to stalk your blog for recipes that use peanut flour- any that you recommend in specific?

Lea February 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Yes, living in Mumbai, where it is getting hotter, I agree with you about the swimming! It’s so funny to read all the bloggers being caught in all the snow, we should be able to share with them 😉
Where do you get your bagels?

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:05 am

Check out Indigo Deli or Ellipsis for fresh bagels!

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli February 26, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I didn’t watch the Gaga performance when it aired, but saw it on Youtube a few days later and WOW. So, so impressed – and I completely agree with you; I love her natural look! Obviously her previous one was all for marketing purposes, which was certainly effective, but I really like how she’s showcasing her natural talents now.

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:06 am

Same here- otherwise I feel like most people are more into wrapping their heads around her image than actually appreciating her voice!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

OMG Bradley <3 He is doing a West End show in a few months and he will be training at my old gym while he's here! I'm totally going to be there every day waiting for him haha

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:06 am

NO WAY! If I’m in London at the same time, I’m totally playing stalker with you ;)!

Letizia@thefitlabel February 26, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Wow! Lady Gaga is impressive 🙂
Your bagel sandwich looks delicious!! My favorite combo is smoked salmon and cream cheese. I really like bagels but they are hard to find in Switzerland. I might have to try making them myself.

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:07 am

Oh woah- if you end up making your own bagels, please do share the recipe!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 26, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I am really loving seeded whole grain bread with hummus, a “fried” egg and slices of avocado. I eat that for lunch almost every day!

And I haven’t seen any of the Oscar nominated movies this year. I’ll probably catch up over the next few months! Always behind…lol!

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:07 am

When you eventually do start watching the Oscar films, please start with Theory of Everything- I am almost certain you will love it!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen February 26, 2015 at 10:50 pm

I didn’t watch the Oscars or see any of the nominated movies! I’m so out of the loop lol.

My favourite bagel topping is a big schmear of cream cheese. Sometimes with jam too. It brings me back to my childhood.

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:08 am

Mmm you can never go wrong with simple cream cheese on bagels- yum!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 26, 2015 at 11:36 pm

I find the idea of peanut flour to be such a diet type thing, I automatically turn away while giving it a side eye. I suppose I could work on being a little more open minded, although I think I’d prefer a simple scoop of peanut butter. Provided it’s not made with hydrogenated oils, the fat is a predominantly healthy fat, which is just one of the reasons I love it so.

I don’t even recognize Lady Gaga. Wow.

Also, I shall go back to coveting your pool. Enjoy.

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:09 am

No I totally know what you mean about peanut flour- I felt the same for a long time but then decided to see what the fuss was all about. I do like that it racks in a hefty amount of protein but peanut butter will still be my number 1 :)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 27, 2015 at 4:09 pm

By the way, I probably wouldn’t have been so open and honest with my comment if it was someone else’s blog. Thanks for making me comfortable enough to be sincere even when it’s contrary. 🙂 This is just one of the reasons I really enjoy you and your blog.

Khushboo March 1, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Oh absolutely- I really appreciate you giving your honest feedback, Meg…always!! And thank you for such a heart-warming comment :*!

Ashley @ A Lady Goes West February 27, 2015 at 2:50 am

Hi K! My husband has been wanting us to go see American Sniper and we haven’t gotten around to it yet! Also, I’ve never tried peanut flour, but imagine I’d like it in smoothies, but want to stick regular nut butter when going after healthy fats and creaminess on food. And your bagel sandwich sounds delish. Good favorites! Enjoy your sunny weather. It’s nice here in Northern California too! 🙂

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:10 am

If you get a chance, do see American Sniper- I think it’s one of those movies almost anyone will enjoy…although it’s very bloody on the eyes!

Brittany February 27, 2015 at 5:15 am

Thanks for sharing the Lady GaGa video, I’d heard about her performance, but had been too lazy to Google it. HA. She did kill it, wow. That bagel, and I STILL NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:10 am

Go see it ASAP!

Kajal February 27, 2015 at 11:18 am

my fav bagel combo is whole wheat toasted bagel with chive cream cheese, lox and capers. yum!!!!

Khushboo February 27, 2015 at 11:29 am

Yum- that is the ultimate bagel combo :)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 27, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Now that is -seriously- a killer bagel combo. You can never go wrong with avocado and turkey, but I have to indulge the sweet tooth in me and say that my favourite sandwich combo will probably always and forever be almond butter, banana, and honey. So.freaking.GOOD.

And that’s seriously Lady Gaga? Geez. I never would have guessed. I don’t know if I would ever get used to her looking classy… she just automatically equates with crazy, far out looks in my mind.

Khushboo March 1, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Mmm it’s been so long since I’ve had any kind of nut-butter sandwich….need to rectify the situ asap, perhaps tomorrow in honour of Meatless Monday :)!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan February 28, 2015 at 12:55 am

So … you are telling me you didn’t like Lady G’s old meat outfit? Really? 😉

I’ve seen peanut flour but never worked with it – have you tried baking with it? I am so curious now…guess I need to pick some up myself…

That bagel looks so dang good – gosh – my cliff bar isn’t stopping my drooling!!!! GAH!!!!

Khushboo March 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I haven’t yet experimented with peanut flour in terms of baking but I plan to very soon – it looks promising!!

Shashi at RunninSrilankan February 28, 2015 at 1:01 am

oH – AND Lady – SO SO SO SO COOL seeing your article on HuffPost – off to check it out… YAY!!!

Khushboo March 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Yay thanks, Shashi :)!

Beverley Cheng February 28, 2015 at 2:09 am

Mmm totally in agreement with the bagels! And peanut flour sounds amazing – definitely need to check that out

Khushboo March 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm