Homemade burritos

by Khushboo on February 9, 2015

I don’t think I’ve been this excited about lunch in a long time…and the best part is that it came together in about 15 minutes.  Wait for it: Homemade Burritos

Burrito top-view

I’m going to preface this by saying that I actually Googled the difference between fajitas & burritos just to make sure I am not mixing up the terminology.  In case you’re wondering:

• Burrito: A burrito consists of a tortilla wrapped around a number of fillings, namely rice, beans, and meat.  Some more Americanized burritos, however, contain many other ingredients, such as salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, or vegetables.
  • Fajita: Fajitas are made of grilled meats and vegetables, usually onions and bell peppers. The fillings are served in an iron skillet with tortillas on the side; the diner must then roll the fajitas themselves and may top them with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole.

Source

This lunch was spurred by a craving after being tagged in my friend Deeya’s latest Instagram upload.  It was a picture of a Chipotle burrito bowl & the caption was an ode to her love of the Mexican chain…girl I feel you!  If I was in London, I would’ve walked down the road to get my fix but because I’m not, I had to improvise at home.  I gotta say, I impressed myself!  This lunch idea is especially for Deeya & anyone else who loves Chipotle too…even more so if you ask for extra guac ;).  Although I used chicken in the recipe, I know it would taste fab with tofu and/or extra beans if you want a meatless lunch.  Ready to roll?

1) Sauté strips of chicken breast with sliced onions, bell peppers & pre-cooked beans (I used black-eyed beans).  Season with Cajun seasoning & a pinch of cumin powder.

Burrito sautee

2) Warm a corn or wholemeal (or gluten-free if necessary) wrap and transfer to a plate.

Burrito wrap

3) Add the chicken/veggie/bean mix to the centre of the wrap.  Be careful not to overstuff the wrap, otherwise it will break while wrapping.

Burrito filled

4) Top with salsa & Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce.

Burrito salsa

5) Add mashed avocado (or guac if you can be bothered to make it).  If dairy is not an issue, top with grated cheese and/or sour cream (or Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative).

Guac burrito

6) Wrap it up burrito style, using this method.

Burrito Rolled Up

7) Serve with remaining filling and dig in.

Burrito close-up

Seriously guys…go and make this now!

What’s your favorite order at Chipotle?

Burritos, fajitas or tacos?

What’s for lunch today?

Arman @ thebigmansworld February 9, 2015 at 2:15 pm

When I occasionally have Mexican here from Mad Mex, if I don’t get the bowl I always get the burrito because they stuff it like no other- I can NEVER stuff it the way they do without it ripping. Hence, fajitas at home is way more user friendly!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm

User friendly..haha I definitely like your logic :)!

burritogirl93 February 9, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Amazing post!!! I will definitely try this recipe at home, burritos are definitely my favourite and extra guac is a must! Wow, this Deeya girl sounds awesome…

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm

She is pretty amazing ;)!

Letizia@thefitlabel February 9, 2015 at 3:13 pm

This recipe looks delicious!! We don’t have Chipotle here in Switzerland (so sad) but whenever I’m in the US I get the burrito bowl with rice, chicken, mild salsa (I can’t stand spicy foods), veggies, cheese, sour cream and extra guac. basically everything except beans because they kind of make me bloat.

I LOVE fajitas and I make them quite often at home. My favorite is a combo of shrimp and chicken fajitas with bell peppers and onions + guacamole. I also love sour cream but sometimes (not always though) I use quark instead because it is lower in fat.
Today’s lunch is going to be a simple farro salad with veggies and hard boiled eggs+ a piece of fruit and some Greek yogurt. This is what most of my work lunches look like: veggie, grain, protein, tasty dressing and dessert (yogurt and fruit). Some might think it’s boring, but it’s quick, tasty and filling.

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Gah your whole comment made me drool!! Your lunch sounds delicious- right up my alley!! Looks like we share a similar approach to meal planning :)!

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan February 9, 2015 at 3:22 pm

No Fair – now I want lunch for breakfast! 🙂
Actually, I am a fan of their “bowls” – where you can put just about anything in them – and its not rolled up – so weird I am – I know! 🙂

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Not weird at all! When I am eating at Chipotle, I actually get the bowl too- I prefer the filling to the actual tortilla ;)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 9, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Mmm I love burritos! The best thing about making them at home is that you can add as much guac as you want without a stingy Chipotle server!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Haha it’s like a constant battle with me saying to add more and the server saying he/she have added plenty….er no!

P February 9, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I have avocados, cheese, eggs, AND tortillas in my fridge at this moment…what is stopping me from making a burrito?! Haha. I love the side chili pepper—adds to the presentation 😉

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Make the burrito, P…do it 🙂

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli February 9, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Yummmmm!!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

🙂

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 9, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I love homemade burritos… thought they usually end up being open-faced. I have an over-stuffing problem. LOL!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Clearly that makes 2 of us 😉

Pooja February 9, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Hey Khushboo! what base did you use for this recipe? corn or wholemeal?

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:29 pm

For this recipe, I used wheat flour as it’s easier to wrap up than corn flour. If you would like to use corn flour, I’d suggest going for a 50/50 combo.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 10, 2015 at 1:30 am

I can’t remember the last time I had Mexican food! This makes me so sad, you don’t even know. I think I need to make myself burritos next week 😉

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I think you need to get on board asap, Sam 🙂

Brittany February 10, 2015 at 1:42 am

Chipotle burritos are SOSOSO good, but usually make me feel a bit blah after. Probably because I eat the entire football sized mass in one sitting. haha. This homemade option looks great.

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Chipotle’s burritos should come with a disclaimer: “Nap ahead”

Lucie@FitSwissChick February 10, 2015 at 2:54 am

Oh yummmm!!! I had my first burrito in San Diego and I was in love. DEFINITELY need to make this. With homemade guac of course!!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Are there any good Mexican restaurants in Switzerland?

Lucie@FitSwissChick February 10, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Yes, a few but it needs a few k’s drive – but so worth it!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen February 10, 2015 at 5:09 am

Yummm! Good thing I’m having Mexican food tonight or else this would have spurred a major craving. My favourite Chipotle order is a vegetarian burrito bowl with guac of course. It never gets old!

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:30 pm

What did you make for dinner last night? Mexican Monday is always a good idea ;)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 10, 2015 at 7:28 am

I love a good burrito or Chipotle bowl. I’ve been eating my own version for dinner the past couple weeks. I add cilantro lime brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, and of course cheese and hot sauce. It’s been delicious. I also make a lot of egg wraps which is basically scrambled eggs and veggies as my filling with of course more cheese and hot sauce. 😉
Love the step by step pictures.

Khushboo February 10, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Yummm clearly there’s been no shortage of good food in your neck of the woods ;)!

Angela @ HonestlyAngela February 10, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Yum – I have never actually been to Chipotle, but this looks so good – especially with all that guacamole!
We usually have tacos or taco salads at home since my husband isn’t a fan of beans, but I think tacos might actually be my least favourite of the three.

Khushboo February 11, 2015 at 11:29 am

Do you guys have a Chipotle in your town? If so, you must visit soon!

Angela @ HonestlyAngela February 11, 2015 at 7:56 pm

We don’t have one in town. We don’t have much at all here actually. I will have to watch for it when I’m travelling!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 12, 2015 at 4:47 am

Is that a homemade wrap? If so, please share the recipe!!

Khushboo February 12, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Yes it is! I made it with wheat flour & water the same way I would do a chapatti/roti. I made it bigger so it’s more like a wrap.

Honey, What's Cooking? February 15, 2015 at 11:38 am

Roti is such a great sub for a tortilla. I make kati rolls whenever I have leftover subzi. Favorite order at Chipotle is the bowl .. with chicken and guac. the BEST. Hope you’re well.

Khushboo February 16, 2015 at 9:32 am

Always nice to see a comment from you, Nisha…hope you are doing well!