I don’t think I’ve been this excited about lunch in a long time…and the best part is that it came together in about 15 minutes. Wait for it: Homemade Burritos!
I’m going to preface this by saying that I actually Googled the difference between fajitas & burritos just to make sure I am not mixing up the terminology. In case you’re wondering:
- Burrito: A burrito consists of a tortilla wrapped around a number of fillings, namely rice, beans, and meat. Some more Americanized burritos, however, contain many other ingredients, such as salsa, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, or vegetables.
- Fajita: Fajitas are made of grilled meats and vegetables, usually onions and bell peppers. The fillings are served in an iron skillet with tortillas on the side; the diner must then roll the fajitas themselves and may top them with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole.
This lunch was spurred by a craving after being tagged in my friend Deeya’s latest Instagram upload. It was a picture of a Chipotle burrito bowl & the caption was an ode to her love of the Mexican chain…girl I feel you! If I was in London, I would’ve walked down the road to get my fix but because I’m not, I had to improvise at home. I gotta say, I impressed myself! This lunch idea is especially for Deeya & anyone else who loves Chipotle too…even more so if you ask for extra guac ;). Although I used chicken in the recipe, I know it would taste fab with tofu and/or extra beans if you want a meatless lunch. Ready to roll?
1) Sauté strips of chicken breast with sliced onions, bell peppers & pre-cooked beans (I used black-eyed beans). Season with Cajun seasoning & a pinch of cumin powder.
2) Warm a corn or wholemeal (or gluten-free if necessary) wrap and transfer to a plate.
3) Add the chicken/veggie/bean mix to the centre of the wrap. Be careful not to overstuff the wrap, otherwise it will break while wrapping.
4) Top with salsa & Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce.
5) Add mashed avocado (or guac if you can be bothered to make it). If dairy is not an issue, top with grated cheese and/or sour cream (or Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative).
6) Wrap it up burrito style, using this method.
7) Serve with remaining filling and dig in.
Seriously guys…go and make this now!
What’s your favorite order at Chipotle?
Burritos, fajitas or tacos?
What’s for lunch today?