Sushi Christmas

by Khushboo on December 29, 2014

Belated Merry Christmas, guys! Hope you all ate, drank and were very merry!  As much as I wish that Bombay resembled some kind of winter wonderland and  carried a festive air, my Christmas weekend ended up being fab.  While Christmas in London for me tends to mean a turkey lunch with all the trimmings, I had a sushi Christmas this year..and I couldn’t have been more thrilled!  In fact I have 2 sushi places to share about, especially for my friends in Bombay.

Sushi Christmas

First up is Sushi Koi, a home-delivery sushi joint based in Bandra.  As a few friends and I decided to spend Christmas Eve at home, take-out sushi seemed like the best option.  And of course we cracked open a couple of bottles of white wine to make it somewhat of a ‘White Christmas’ ;)! We tried 4 different rolls, all of which were brown rice-based:

• Teriyaki Shiitake: Teriyaki shiitake mushroom with Philadelphia cream cheese, pokchoy, spring onions, cucumber with tempura flakes
  • Avocado Asparagus: Avocado & asparagus with sesame soy

Veg sushi

• California Roll: Crabstick, cucumber, avocado, lettuce & wasabi mayo
  • Spicy Tuna: Yellowtail tuna in chilli aioli with chives, jalapeño, cucumber & lettuce

Spicy tuna roll

Although I usually consider vegetarian sushi to be rather tragic, the shittake roll was actually my favorite – such a meaty texture!  Aside from the fact that we finally have a decent take-out sushi option in Mumbai, I am thrilled that this place also offers a quinoa sushi- definitely trying that next!

Next up was the Japanese fine dining restaurant Saizen which I tried out with a couple of friends for dinner.  Even though it’s been around for a while now, I never thought to try it as I’d heard mixed reviews.  Although it would have been nice to see the restaurant a bit busier on a Friday night, the food tasted exceptionally good.  After warming up with some edamame, we dug into the good stuff:

Salmon Sashimi

• Avocado Dragon Roll: Cucumber, cream cheese & spring onion topped with avocado & drizzled with sweet sauce & wasabi mayo

Avocado Roll

• Hatsukoi (First Love) Roll: Salmon & avocado roll topped with tuna & garnished with caviar

Hatsukoi Roll

• Unpictured Chicken Gyoza

Zucchini Carpaccio

• Unpictured Wakame Salad
  • Grilled Salmon with Crispy Baby Spinach

Grilled salmon with crispy spinach

• Unpictured Sticky Rice

Miso Aubergine

I was blown away by each dish, both in terms of taste and presentation.  Each bite was maki-ng miso happy;)!  For the record, I was not asked to post about Sushi Koi or Saizen– I just really liked both.  The Hatsukoi Roll pretty much sums up my sentiments towards sushi ;)!

Hope you guys have some fun planned over the next few days to ensure you end 2014 with a bang!  When this post goes up, I’ll probably be boarding my flight to Dubai for a last minute trip.  I’ll be back to regular posting when I’m back next week, so until then: HAPPY 2015  & see ya next year!

What’s the best thing you ate over Christmas?

What’s your favourite Japanese dish?

Cat December 29, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Wow as much as I do love the traditional turkey, I think a sushi Christmas would be amazing! Especially if it looked like this…

Weirdly, my favourite thing over the holidays has been roasted chestnuts and sprouts – simple but so good!

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:25 pm

The simple stuff is always the best! Roasted chestnuts always takes me back to walking on Oxford Street during the winter 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 29, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Safe travels, Khushboo! We didn’t end up having a traditional turkey dinner this year either, but that’s mostly because no one was in the mood for turkey. And is it horrible of me to say that my favourite dish was actually dessert? Because my mom made this amazing chocolate cake that was out.of.this.WORLD.

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Psshh let’s be honest girl- is mentioning dessert EVER horrible ;)!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen December 30, 2014 at 4:43 am

Sushi on Christmas sounds like an amazing idea. I would definitely be willing to give up turkey for sushi. 😉

The best thing I ate this Christmas was Smitten Kitchen’s sticky toffee pudding with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. It was seriously to die for!

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Oh dayumn- that dessert sounds amazing! I have a weakness for sticky toffee pudding- yum!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 30, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I’d go for sushi on Christmas! Or pretty much any other day of the year, really…
As for best thing I ate over Christmas: Chef-friend sent me homemade chocolate truffles and those are pretty fabulous! 😉

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I need friends who send me homemade chocolates ;)!

Arman @ thebigmansworld December 30, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Oh yum- So true about Shittaki mushrooms- Such a meaty texture. I had dumplings on Christmas day with some friends (couldn’t fly home) and I lost a bet and had to drink the chilli oil.

….It was awesome.

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Be honest Arman- did you intentionally lose that bet ;)?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Do you know I’ve never had a traditional turkey Christmas? In Australia, no one does it (it’s too darn hot!) and then I’ve been out of the country or by myself on Christmas Day in London, so I’ve never bothered. Sushi sounds much better – although I would need at least five rolls just to myself haha

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Not going to lie- kinda jealous of those roasts you’ve been having lately…love Yorkshire puddings!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 2, 2015 at 3:00 am

Holy cow, the presentation on these is stunning. Talk about eat pretty. Da-yum.

Safe travels my friend.

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Almost too pretty to eat…almost ;)!

P January 2, 2015 at 4:14 am

The avocado dragon roll looks really good! It’s got me craving vegan sushi when I get back to LA!!

Happy New Year!

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Happy New Year to you too, P!

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan January 2, 2015 at 7:23 am

WOA – that quinoa sushi has me totally intrigued!!! The presentation on these dishes ARE AH-MAZING indeed!!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas Khusboo and Happy happy new year! xxs

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Shashi- hope you had a wonderful holiday period too :)!

Alexis January 4, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Sushi for Christmas sounds wonderful! It all looks so tasty and the presentation is beautiful! Japanese is my favorite cuisine with sushi ranking as my favorite.

Khushboo January 5, 2015 at 2:29 pm