Heyyyy guys! Hope your week is going well! Unfortunately I tripped over while running on Tuesday and banged up both my knees, so my last few days have involved a handful of painkillers, ointments, a tetanus shot & plenty of prayers that I’ll be fine to run the Pinkathon 10K for Breast Cancer on Sunday. The doctor said the inflammation will reduce by Friday, so I should be good to go. Aside from that, my week’s been great. I mentioned on Monday that I have a list of topics & delish recipes I want to blog about over the next few weeks so first up: Chocolate Dipped Fruit
While my preggo sister visited a few weeks ago, I threw her a baby shower which involved a few baby games (that we never ended up playing), good friends and plenty of food..obviously! These were one of my contributions and while I’m hardly one to toot my own horn, these Chocolate Dipped Fruit looked super pretty alongside the spread of food.
To make the most of strawberry season over here in Mumbai (wahoo!), I used a combination of strawberries & orange slices. I know strawberries aren’t really seasonal in North America/Europe right now so be assured that, orange slices taste (and look) equally fab. For the sake of variety, I alternated between pistachios, sunflower seeds and coconut…gotta keep those with nut allergies in mind ;)!
Do these colors scream Christmas or what? With the 25th right around the corner, these would be a fun festive treat to whip up as a healthy dessert or even to gift friends/family members…especially as chocolatiers like Godiva charge absurd amounts like £1.50 per strawberry. I won’t tell anyone how easy these Chocolate Dipped Fruit are to whip up, if you won’t ;)!
As for that recipe:
- 1 box of strawberries
- 1 orange, peeled & segmented
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 cup crushed nuts and/or seeds
- Rinse & dry strawberries well, keeping the leaves on. Line a baking tray (or plate) with parchment paper. Place nuts/seeds in a bowl next to baking tray.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl that fits snuggly in a saucepan. Half-fill the saucepan with water and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl on top, making sure it doesn’t touch the water (or it will overheat). Stir chocolate with a spoon until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Hold a strawberry by its leaves & dip into the bowl of melted chocolate, swirling to ensure all sides are coated ½ - ¾ of the way up. Gently shake off excess chocolate. Immediately dip chocolate-dipped strawberry into the bowl of crushed nuts/seeds & place on parchment paper. Repeat with remaining strawberries & orange slices.
- Place tray of chocolate-dipped fruit into refrigerator (or air-conditioned room) for at least 20 minutes to set. Serve cold or at room temperature.
What’s your favourite fruit to pair with chocolate?
What dessert do you plan to make this Christmas?