Hey guys! How was your weekend? I had an awesome morning on Saturday which included a run, massage and the most delicious breakfast in the longest time (more to come on that below). We had 6km scheduled, but because this week is going to be hectic with friends & family in town, we switched it up so that we could finish off our 9km long run.
Although I was quite nervous initially, the run ended up being amazing. The weather was perfectly crisp and more importantly, I felt strong the whole distance. My breathing was great and it give me a confidence boost for my upcoming 10km Pinkathon Race for Breast Cancer. A few other takeaways from the run included:
- Forget HIIT & running up inclines for speed work…just get a stray dog to run alongside you
- The less I overthink about a run, the easier it seems to be
- Pad Thai is excellent running fuel
- Savory breakfasts > sweeter breakfasts after a run
With regards to the last takeaway, you guys need to try out this Egg White and Cheddar Quesadilla now!
And if you’ve already eaten breakfast today, make it for lunch! It’s easy, peasy and extremely cheesy. Literally I can’t even. Aside from tasting decadently delicious, it pretty much covers every nutritional base: complex carbs & fiber (tortilla), lean protein (egg whites), fat (cheese) & fruit/veggies (mushrooms & tomato). If you’re counting your macros, each Egg White and Cheddar Quesadilla racks in about 310 calories & 26g protein. Breakfast of champions? I think so!
On another note, I read something on Instagram which really stuck with me the other day. It was along the lines of “Connect with people, not Wi-Fi”. With friends & family coming to Mumbai over the next few days, I plan to spend as little time online as possible. I’ll probably be back blogging towards the end of next week. Until then, have fun & be sure to try out this Egg White and Cheddar Quesadilla recipe!
- 1 wholewheat or corn tortilla
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese (=20g)
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tomato, sliced
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl & add mushrooms.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat & coat with olive oil (or cooking spray). Once heated, add egg whites/mushrooms. Scramble or make as an omelet. Add your choice of seasoning & set aside.
- Place tortilla on a plate and add egg whites/mushrooms on one half. Top with tomato slices & grated cheese. Fold the top half of the tortilla over the fillings.
- Transfer the tortilla to the the same non-stick pan used for eggs. Cook for 1 minute, carefully turn quesadilla over and cook for another minute or so until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Slice quesadilla into 2-3 triangles & serve.
- i) As I didn't have any tortillas on hand, I made a wrap (a.k.a. chapatti/roti) using ½ wheat flour & water.
- ii) I used Peri Peri seasoning for the egg whites.
What did you have for breakfast this weekend?