Simple pleasures for the healthy foodie

by Khushboo on November 13, 2014

Hey guys!  After Monday’s wordy post on gluten-free diets, I thought I’d keep it light-hearted around here today.  One “trick” I’ve learned over the years to ensure I have a great day is to appreciate the simple pleasures in life, even if it’s something as small as my favourite song playing on the radio.  After all, these little things which we tend to take for granted ultimately add up a HUGE result: Happiness. While there are countless little things to be grateful, here are a few simple pleasures for the healthy foodie.  Chances are many of you can agree with a handful of them ;):

1) Slicing open an avocado that’s perfectly ripe & green

Avocado

2) Flipping an omelet & it stays in tact

3) Opening a jar of natural nut butter and the oil hasn’t separated

Skippy

4) Seeing your favorite food and/or Whole Foods on sale

5) When the protein powder scooper is not buried in the bottom of the packet/jar

6) When berries come back in season

Strawberries

7) The first sip of coconut water after a workout

8) Make-your-own salad bars

9) The smell of freshly brewed coffee….

10) ….and homemade banana bread (bonus points if it’s vegan, high-protein or both 😉)

Peanut Butter & Banana Squares

Peanut Butter & Banana Squares

11) Having just enough almond milk to use in your bowl of oatmeal

12) Finding a recipe that calls for only ingredients that you already have in your pantry.

13) Seeing the following 3 words on a restaurant menu: brown.rice.sushi

14) Or even better: sweet.potato.fries

Sweet Potato Fries

Fego, London

15) Breakfast in bed

16) Licking hummus off a spoon

17) Food/drinks served in a mason jar

Green smoothie

18) The rare occurrence when organic produce costs the same as conventional varieties

19) Finding new versions of your old favorites that are now made from alternative flours- millet pancakes or quinoa pasta anyone?

The Pantry, Mumbai

The Pantry, Mumbai

20) Eating a bowl of ‘real’ ice cream…because let’s be real, fro yo just ain’t the same ;)!

How many of the above applied for you?

What are some of your simple pleasures, food-based or not?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan November 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I LURVE these!!! I <3 the fact that you took time to dedicate a post to the little pleasures in life (for a foodie).. Ahhh the joys of a perfectly green avocado…and the smell of coffee…and mason jars…yup – all your points with the exception of 7 (not a fan of packaged coconut water)and 20 (lactose intolerant ) are simple pleasures for me too …a and when the weather is right – eating outside seems to make everything taste better for me!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

I’m with you about packaged coconut water- GROSS! I only drink it if it’s fresh out the coconut- I know I know, living in Mumbai has spoiled me ;)!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape November 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I feel like I take such a risk with every avocado I open… So to find a perfect one inside, oh it makes my day!
And finding your favourite foods on sale, always a winner!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

You and me both- sometimes it needs an extra day before it’s ready, yet you’ve kinda blown your chances as soon as you slice it open 🙁

Parita @ myinnershakti November 13, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Almost every single one of these applies to me! This post literally made me LOL – to some these may seem so silly, but to foodies/health nuts, all of these ring true!

I would add some of my own, but I think you covered it!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

I’d say we healthy foodies are a rare (but obvi amazing) bunch 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig November 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Haha I love this post! I die when I see sweet potato fries on the menu. And nothing beats the smell of fresh coffee in the morning!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

If you ever get a chance, check out Fego on St. John’s Wood High Street- those fries taste EPIC!

Pragati // Simple Medicine November 13, 2014 at 7:43 pm

nailed it! All of these are so on point.

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

Woot 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 13, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I’m pretty sure I agree with all of these! Especially the avocado thing and the sweet potato fry thing. I think I’m going to need to find sweet potato fries this weekend….

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:02 am

Do it girl…do it!

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli November 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Yup – DEFINITELY agree with all of these. The PB thing and the ingredients in the pantry thing are so true for me – if I read a recipe and it has some unknown ingredient, I chuck it out.

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:02 am

Same here- if I don’t own the ingredient, the recipe is almost always vetoed!

Linda @ The Fitty November 14, 2014 at 3:00 am

I actually like it when the oil and nut butter are seperated; I get to stir it and sometimes. I add. in some extra coconut oil. 🙂

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

Haha you go girl 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen November 14, 2014 at 6:14 am

I definitely agree with most of these! I love it when I find brown rice sushi available on a menu… unfortunately it’s hard to find around here.

Some of my other simple foodie pleasures are finding a nut free bakery and seeing oatmeal on a breakfast menu (and not just plain oatmeal, but oatmeal with creative toppings)!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 9:04 am

Ooh good one about the oatmeal- it’s still a rare occurrence in Mumbai but hopefully one that will soon become more common!

Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday November 14, 2014 at 9:08 am

Genius. I agree with all of these! My favorites are the berries (love them – and it’ll be a while till they’re back around here) and the nut butter ones. I like knowing that my nut butter can separate (less funky ingredients!), but that doesn’t mean I like the messy task of stirring the oil in.

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Your opinion on the oil in nut butter echoes mine exactly- love knowing that it’s all natural but the stirring bit can be unpleasant!

Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating November 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

These are great! I’d add to the list “Finally finding a food product or food in your local supermarket that you’ve been on the hunt for FOREVER.” That’s always a great moment. Like when I finally found the Pumpkin Celestial Seasonings flavored tea. Thank you Walmart for finally getting up to date. Ha!

Khushboo November 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Oh yes that sure is wonderful! You can imagine how thrilled I was to find almond milk in supermarkets here..finally!

Rukhsana November 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Hi Khushboo
Great post – infact I am presently reading The Power by Rhonda Byrne which is exactly about being grateful for all the small things in Life that we take so much for granted.
I am thankful for a simple pleasure – everyday at work – a hot Lunch dubba from home and most mornings my hubby making breakfast – eggs as I like it.
non-foodie pleasure : 24 hrs running water , a healthy and fit body , my zumba class instructor and many many more including your posts Khushboo which are always so informative and enjoyable to read !

Khushboo November 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Thanks so much, Rukhsana- your comment made my day :)! Your husband sounds like quite a keeper :D!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Is it weird that reading this post made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Needless to say, I can definitely relate to a lot of these… And it’s amazing how even the simplest of things can make us happy. Actually, I think it’s the simple things adding up that make us the happiest. And when all else fails, there’s always chocolate 😉

Khushboo November 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Aww bless, ‘warm & fuzzy’ was kinda what I was going for ;)! And heck yes about chocolate- always a godsend!

Brittany November 16, 2014 at 4:38 am

OHhh my gosh you started with the perfect bang about that avocado!! SO TRUE. All of this..ALL OF IT!

Khushboo November 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hell yes to ripe avocados :D!