Apparently I’m really into breakfast: despite Monday’s post, I have another breakfast recipe to share. This time it’s on the sweeter side. But before we get to that, here’s somethings for my friend in the UK to get excited over…at least those who love breakfast as much as I do:
That alone is enough reason to plan my next trip back hah! So remember that bag of coconut flour I picked up in Sri Lanka? I finally
tore it neatly cut it open last night to see what it’s all about. For those of you unfamiliar with coconut flour, it is essentially flour made from dried coconut meat that has been ground into a very fine powder.
Although I bought it with no idea what I planned to do with it, I was more impressed with its nutritional profile:
- Moderate effect on blood sugar levels, making it ideal for diabetics and/or those eating a low-carb diet
- Higher protein content than wheat flour: 19g per 100g of coconut flour versus 10g per 100g in wheat flour
- High in lauric acid, a healthy saturated fat that is essential for immune health & healthy skin
- High in manganese, which boost immunity & thyroid health
For those of you who eat a gluten-free diet, coconut flour would be a great alternative to try. I’ve pinned various recipes that incorporate coconut flour including baked goods, waffles, pancakes and so forth yet I start off using it raw in the form of chia pudding- typical. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the last 24 hours, it’s that coconut flour absorbs SO MUCH liquid due to it’s fiber content- definitely something to consider when I start baking with it.
I experimented with a Coconutty Apple Chia Pudding last night before going to bed and woke up with high hopes. Although I loved the coconut flavor that the flour added, overall it tasted a bit dry, meal-y & kinda meh. The apple & cinnamon were the only saving grace. Fortunately doctoring it up with some extra milk & nut butter did the trick!
This Coconutty Apple Chia Pudding turned into a breakfast I’d make again…and again. Then again, you know that- I wouldn’t be blogging about the recipe if it didn’t taste fab:
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (15g)
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds (7g)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk + ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk to add in the morning
- 1 small apple, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (I used peanut)
- Add coconut flour, chia seeds, half the amount of apple, vanilla essence & cinnamon to a bowl. Pour in 1/3 cup almond milk & stir to combine well. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, mix in remaining apple cubes & nut butter. Pour over ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk & dig in.
What’s your favourite cereal? Bran Flakes & Cinnamon Toast Crunch for me 🙂