The Sassy Spoon

by Khushboo on October 27, 2014

Let’s talk about books for a second.  I’ve been reading plenty over these past months & I just finished Gillian Flynn’s Gone GirlI know, I know I’m mega late to the party.   With each chapter ending with a cliffhanger and the plot getting more twisted by the page, I had trouble putting it down.  I completely devoured it & can’t wait to catch the movie in the cinema when it releases on Friday.  Although I personally think that Bradley Cooper (as opposed to Ben Affleck) would have been a better fit as Nick, but I could be biased ;).

Speaking of devouring, I want to share a delicious meal from the weekend at The Sassy Spoon a.k.a. a totally underrated restaurant in Mumbai.  A friend, who’s as much a foodie as I am,  was visiting from out of town so I knew this would be the perfect place to take her to.

Saloni + I - Sassy Spoon

Along with a great ambience & attentive staff, the food alone deserves a blog post of its own.  With each dish on the menu sounding better than the next, we finally settled on an appetizer & 2 mains…obvs in the middle so we could taste it all!

• Harissa Spiced Grilled Chicken with Garlic Yogurttotally need to try & replicate this at home

Harissa Chicken Skewers

• Grilled Prawns with Fresh Sweet Corn Polenta & Galangal Cream

Prawns- Sassy Spoon

• Brown Rice Paella with Broad Beans, Olives, Grilled Artichokes, Smoked Fennel & Marinated Pepperswith extra artichokes given our mutual love for those suckers

Paella - Sassy Spoon

All 3 tasted outstanding  and left us with enough room for dessert.  The last time I ate at The Sassy Spoon, I kicked myself when dessert rolled around i.e for not saving enough space.  When a restaurant has a separate (& extensive) dessert menu with options like ‘7-Layer Textured Hazelnut & Chocolate’, a selection of homemade ice creams & ‘Sweet Potato & Chocolate Cake’, you know you’re in for a treat.  After much deliberation, we settled on the Warm Caramel Peanut Tart with Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream:

Warm Peanut Tart

No words guys…except that this could quite possibly be the best dessert I have eaten in Mumbai till date.  I know the picture doesn’t do justice (damn dim lighting!), but trust me on this! Peanuts, chocolate, homemade ice cream, cookie dough- it’s the best of all worlds! As coffee  lovers, we also ordered a scoop of the Coffee & Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream, which was basically coffee ice cream intertwined with bits of chocolate sponge cake – YUM!

Apparently they have a different lunch menu, which I want to try out soon.  Food aside, at least there’ll be better lighting for photos – #InstagramJunkie #FoodBloggerThrills ;).

Have you read Gone Girl?  Thoughts?

What’s the best dessert you’ve eaten?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan October 27, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Oh heavens – I think I could make a meal off of the Sassy Spoon’s dessert menu!
The best dessert I have had recently is Kemps Moose Tracksice cream with homemade hardshell – I haven’t gotten dessert out in awhile but have been saving space to come home to ‘ol faithful 🙂
Cannot wait to see your replication of that Harissa spiced chicken dish! Hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:22 pm

OH MY GOODNESS- I just googled that ice cream and it sounds divine! Who needs to go out for dessert when you have that at home!!

Arman @ thebigmansworld October 27, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Whoa Mumbai I’m impressed- this looks delicious! That chicken totally looks replicate-able. (that better be a word!)

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Haha you know I just Googled that (nerd alert!). Apparently the term is ‘replicable’ 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig October 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm

That dessert sounds insane! I have read Gone Girl and I saw the movie last week. It was good, but I agree that Bradley Cooper would have been a much better choice!

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Bradley > Ben…always!!!

Parita @ myinnershakti October 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I’m going to be honest – when we visited India last year, I felt like the desserts weren’t up to par with what I was expecting. But it looks like I wasn’t eating at the right restaurants! That tart sounds delicious!

And I saw Gone Girl a few weeks ago…Ben Affleck was surprisingly a really good Nick. But I agree that Bradley Cooper would have been a good pick too!

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Next time you are in India, you better swing by Mumbai…I will make sure you get your fill of GOOD dessert 🙂

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health October 27, 2014 at 7:13 pm

i have not read gone girl..but thats on my list.

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Can’t recommend it enough!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm

That dessert sounds amazing! Think they deliver to Canada? :-p I was actually pretty impressed with Ben Affleck as Nick, and that’s saying a lot because I’m not fan of his at all. I do agree that Bradley Cooper could have been a good choice though. Or Alexander Skarsgard! I feel like he would have been a good Nick.

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:24 pm

So I just Googled Alexander Skarsgard….dayyy-umn, he is HOT! And he is also much more fitting as Nick than Ben Affleck!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen October 27, 2014 at 8:59 pm

That whole meal looks amazing! I’m really intrigued by the shrimp dish – I’ve never cooked with polenta before and don’t really remember ever having it at a restaurant. But I want to change that and try it out sometime!

I’m glad you saved room for dessert this time because it definitely looks like something you don’t want to miss.

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I cooked polenta a couple of times when I lived in London and remember really enjoying it baked- definitely something to try out!

Linda @ TheFitty October 27, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Don’t worry; I know what it’s like to have lighting ruin a beautiful photo, so I’ll use my imagination!

Mmmmm, it DOES look delicious. I love the way it’s plated too–spaced out.

Khushboo October 27, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Haha glad we are on the same wavelength, Linda 🙂

Brittany October 28, 2014 at 6:35 am

I haven’t read this book, but I do want to. I love the name of this place, Sassy Spoon!

Khushboo October 28, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Oh you must read it- such a quick read too!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 28, 2014 at 7:25 am

I was stuck on the prawns… then paella… but oh, that dessert…

Khushboo October 28, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Gah I wanna go back & eat it all over again 🙂

Palan October 28, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I don’t know if it’s the best, but my current dessert obsession is a scoop of milk & mint ice cream. Fresh spearmint blended with crema ice cream: A-ma-zing! Especially when you add a curl of dark chocolate on top! Just Divine…

Khushboo October 28, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Oh wow- that sounds awesome! Have you tried the mint chic chip ice cream at Baskin Robbins? To.die.for!

Palan @ PrincessPalan.com October 30, 2014 at 8:54 am

I have – I ask them to make a milkshake of it for me if I’m being super indulgent – well, I did when I lived in London… No Baskin Robins here that’ I’ve found… 🙁

Khushboo October 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

I took indulgent to a whole new level a few years ago on my birthday- I got them to make me an ice cream cake with alternating layers of Jamoca Coffee ice cream, chocolate cake & mint chic chip ice cream….SO good!

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness October 28, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Wow that restaurant looks amazing! If/when I’m ever in Mumbai I’m calling you up and we’re going there 😀 Just looking at that homemade ice cream (and all the desserts really) is making me all sorts of happy 🙂

ps- Gone Girl has been sitting on my shelf for like a year- I STILL havent read it. [Drops head in shame, wondering if it’s better to delete this portion of the comment…]

Khushboo October 28, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Er restaurant or not, you best be calling me WHEN you are in Mumbai :)! Please start reading Gone Girl asap- you will not be able to put it down!!

GiGi Eats October 29, 2014 at 5:33 am

Haven’t seen gone girl, I have heard MIXED reviews…… Maybe when it comes out on Netflix 😉

And for dessert, well I haven’t had a gluttonous dessert in AGES thanks to my food allergies, however, I have to say I am loving my own baking these days! ha ha!

Khushboo October 30, 2014 at 10:49 am

Home-made or gluttonous, I am hardly bias when it comes to dessert ;)!

Alyssa @ The Healthy RD October 29, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I’m a big fan of garlic yogurt, especially with cucumber and dill. Underrated restaurants can sometimes be the best!

Khushboo October 30, 2014 at 10:48 am

Love making garlic yogurt dips to eat with raw veggie sticks :)!