Hey guys! I had planned to write up a workout post for today, but that topic instantly got put on the backburner right after my lunch on Wednesday: Chicken Shawarma Tartine. When I Whatsapped my sister about it, her reply was “All your meals sound so fancy”. I’ll let you in on a secret- a majority of my meals are extremely basic, I’m just good with my words ;)! I’m not a trained chef nor do I want to spend hours in the kitchen regularly. I just really enjoy good food & so need to find a way to make it as efficiently as possibly.
Sure you can call this a ‘Chicken & Hummus Open-Faced Sandwich’, but how much more appetizing does a Chicken Shawarma Tartine sound…I thought so! If we exclude marinating time, this lunch literally comes together in less than 10 minutes…i.e. the maximum amount of time anyone wants to be spending on lunch on a weekday. And for my vegan friends- simply replace the chicken with tofu :).
- 1 medium breast of chicken
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sumac powder
- 1/8th teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced onions
- Handful of finely chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 slices toast (I used rye)
- 2 generous tablespoons of hummus
- Cut chicken into strips & add to a large bowl. Mix in olive oil, sumac powder, cinnamon, onions, parsley & lemon juice. Combine well & marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat & sauté chicken until cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
- Spread hummus across both slices of toast & top with chicken & onions.
- i) If you don't find sumac powder in your supermarket's spice section, check the 'Ethnic Foods' aisle
- ii) For a vegan alternative, replace chicken with tofu
What was the best thing you ate for lunch last week?