Avocado toast

by Khushboo on July 21, 2014

I love buttered toast, you love buttered toast.  And if you say you don’t, you’re lying ;).  The one thing I love even more on toast is Nature’s butter a.k.a Avocado.  If simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication, then it goes without saying that avocado toast is as sophisticated as it gets.  Between restaurant menus and various social media feeds, this heavenly combination seems to be having its moment, and I couldn’t be more thrilled about it.  I hate to put foods on pedestals, but I make an exception for avocadoes.

photo 2

Aside from its buttery taste & texture, avocadoes boast an impressively long list of health benefits:

• Maintain cardiovascular heart
  • Provide anti-inflammatory properties
  • Promote eye health
  • Regulate blood sugar levels
  • Boost skin quality
  • Increase nutrient absorption
  • Contribute to both weight loss & weight gain

The best bit is that smashing avocado on toasted bread takes all of zero culinary skill.  For the most part, I like to enjoy avocado toast in its simplest form i.e. with sea salt & chili flakes.  However there are also days when I’m feeling kinda fancy and need to jazz it up a bit.  Fancy or not, I’ve realized 2 things always apply with avocado toast:

1. Adding salt is non-negotiable as it really brings out the avocado’s flavor.
  2. If you aren’t using the mashed avocado immediately, place the stone in the middle of the bowl to prevent browning.

A few combos I’ve enjoyed over the past couple of weeks include:

Avocado Toast topped with a Runny Egg (+ a side of egg whites)

photo 2

Avocado Toast with Toasted Sunflower Seeds & Balsamic Glaze

photo 3

Peri Peri Chicken on Avocado Toast with a Touch of Dijon

Peri Peri Chicken Avocado Toast

I ate this at Le Pain Quotidien in London & will certainly be remaking it at home soon:

Avocado Toast with Avocado slices, super seeds, citrus cumin-salt & lemon juice

photo 1

A friend of mine shared this link for 30 Awesome Avocado Toast Recipes.  There are so many more great ideas including these 2 which caught my eye:

What’s your favorite toast topper?

How do you like your avocado toast?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan July 21, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I sure hope we can still be friends – but am not a fan of butter on my toast – the only place I like butter is baked into a cake -but avocados I will take on toast, in cake, with chocolate, spicy, salty, sweet; yup I adore avocados too!
Avocado Toast topped with a Runny Egg sure is a fav in our house. That”Cucumber Hummus Avocado Toast” sounds so intriguing!!! Have you had an avocado half with an egg baked in the middle? oooh so good!

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm

It’s a good thing I’m so fond of you, Shashi- your dislike towards butter could be a deal-breaker ;)!

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 21, 2014 at 3:25 pm

YUM- as much as I love avocado, I will give the crown to butter. And salt…always the salt.

I love using avocado with vegemite and eggs. Bliss.

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Everything tastes better with butter..word!

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Oh yumm! Avocado Toast is SO good!
I actually love it sweet – mix avocado with cacao powder and stevia and top the spread with banana slices. #strangebutgood!!

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

That sounds so strangely good- I need to try avocado in sweet form and this might be my first shot!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm

OMG. Now I’m craving buttery toast!

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Haha you are welcome 😉

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 21, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I looove avocado toast! I’m usually pretty plain though and just have it with some salt.

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Sometimes plain is best 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Avocado toast with salt, pepper, hot sauce and a sunny-side up egg. Basically, one of my favourite things ever. I do love good old buttered toast, but avocado toast has my heart 😉 (P.S. I think you just decided on lunch for me…)

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Annnnd that’s now going to be my lunch tomorrow 😉

Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm

One of my favourite snacks when I was little was a piece of toast with butter and honey on top. So simple. So good. I still love that combo, but I think I love the avo & toast one a little bit more. And it’s crazy because I don’t even think I tried avocado until I was something like 24 or 25… not even in guacamole. I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but now? Total love affair going on.

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Ooh your childhood snack sounds heavenly- I used to love buttered toast with cinnamon & sugar…and still do :)! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who waited till her twenties to embrace avocado!!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 21, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I definitely DO love buttered toast but I love the idea of avocado toast!!! Next time I find myself with some avocado on hand (it doesn’t last long in my house haha) I’m going to try this!

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Your life will be forever changed ;)!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 22, 2014 at 6:12 am

Annnnnd now I’m craving avocado in a big way. I bet you could use it like butter to make a grilled cheese… mmmm…

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Oooh now that is genius- I need to try making a grilled cheese & avocado toastie now!!

Brittany July 22, 2014 at 8:02 am

I promise I’m not lying, but I don’t like buttered toast. HAHA. I DO think I would love avocado toast though and despite seeing it ALL THE TIME in blogland I have YET to try it!!!? WHYYY!

Khushboo July 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Seriously dude…WHYYY! Try it STAT!

Charlotte July 23, 2014 at 12:21 am

I love buttered toast! Also when I read the title “avocado toast” my first reaction was “yes please.” Soo, thats how i feel about that. That avocado toast topped with runny egg may just be my breakfast tmrw (or dinner tonight- why not?)

Khushboo July 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

Or both? 🙂

Nikhita July 23, 2014 at 8:12 am

Sea salt, lime and chilli flakes = best and easiest combo for avo toast! but i’m loving the look of your balsamic glaze version!

Khushboo July 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

You must try the balsamic combo- I think you’d love it 🙂

P July 23, 2014 at 8:49 am

Avocado toast topped with a runny egg—that is perfection on top of toast right there! I would go further and add ketchup because eggs and ketchup = perfection 😛

Khushboo July 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

Mmm and don’t forget the mustard 🙂

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I freely admit I love butter on toast, although I’d be willing to try this combination, and I think the idea of putting it on grilled cheese sounds even more appealing. 🙂

Great tip on keeping the pit with the unused avocado to keep it fresher longer. Much appreciated.

Khushboo July 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Let’s be honest- grilled cheese on anything has gotta be good 😉