Lazy Burrito Bowl

by Khushboo on July 17, 2014

While I’m all for variety in your diet, I am also a big fan of the “If it aint broke, don’t fix it” concept.  Lately my meals have been more a case of the latter.  So long as I’m still enjoying my meals, I’m not going to fight it.  A few current favorites include:

• Smoothies
  • Homemade chickpea burgers (recipe is here)
  • Scrambled eggs & toast
  • A heck load of avocado

Especially as it’s finally avocado season in Mumbai, I’ve been sure to make the most of it, often in the form of burrito bowls.  It’s one of those meals I have on standby for those instances when I can’t think of what to make or can’t decide what I’m craving.  On a side note, I’m so mad at myself: despite being in London for 6 weeks and Chipotle being all of 4 minutes walking-distance from my building, I didn’t eat a single burrito bowl during my trip..total madness!!

photo 3

Fortunately my DIY version at home just about measures up- I am hooked, guys!  I call it the Lazy Burrito Bowl because I’m too lazy to even turn the avocado into guacamole…ain’t nobody got time for that!  Along with being a great balance of whole grains, lean protein, veggies & healthy fats, it’s entirely flexible i.e. fit for both vegans & carnivores!  I don’t use any strict measurements or ingredients, but here’s the gist:

Lazy Burrito Bowl

Ingredients

• Cooked brown rice or quinoa
  • Your choice of protein (My favorites include eggs, chicken, shrimp, chickpeas or lentils)
  • Shredded lettuce
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Zucchini, thinly sliced
  • Peppers, cut into ½ – inch wide strips
  • Cumin
  • Chili powder
  • Salt to taste
  • Salsa
  • Avocado

Method

1. Coat skillet with oil (or cooking spray) & place over medium heat.  Cook protein as necessary & set aside.
  2. In the same skillet, sauté mushrooms, zucchini & peppers until crisp-tender and slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.  Add back protein & brown rice (or quinoa).  Season with cumin, chili powder & salt.
  3. Place lettuce in bowl & top with rice/quinoa mixture, salsa & avocado.

Until my taste buds start to protest, I have a feeling that this is going to remain a fixture in my meal rota.

What’s been your go-to meal this week?

Palan July 17, 2014 at 2:07 pm

It’s one of my regulars too – I add a sweetcorn salsa &/or kidney beans too – just awesome!!
(ps how could you NOT go to Chipotle?!?!)

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Yum- sweetcorn is a great addition 🙂

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan July 17, 2014 at 2:13 pm

My go to meal most of this week has been a sauteed lotus root and jicama salad over greens and with avocados – but last night we eat the last mouthfuls up and I was gonna make turkey burgers tonight, but am thinking those “yummus hummus” burgers need to happen! Tahini and cumin flavored chick pea burgers are sounding so good – today is gonna be a blur as I am gonna be ruminating about these burgers all day – in fact they could be the star of a “lazy-burrito bowl” tomorrow night too! Thanks Khushboo for 2 great meal ideas!

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:54 pm

OOh I hope you do make the chickpea burgers- would love to know how you liked ’em! 🙂

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Seriously, why waste time making guac? Spoon and avocado is all you need. And salt.

This week has been really bad in terms of a ‘go to’ meal. Way too many baked goods for breakfast. I need bread and cheese in this week’s grocery run.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Ain’t nothing wrong with baked goods for breakfast 😉

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 17, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I love this and pinned this!!
And Chipotle – I was in the US for more than 2 weeks last year and I didn’t go a single time. So sad! I might just have to fly to London to get my fix 🙂
My go-to meal this week was stir fry or salads. Can’t go wrong!

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Woo I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! And wait for me to get back to London before you go- we can hit up Chipotle together 🙂

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I love a good burrito bowl. I find them so satisfying and filling. Yours sounds delicious and I’m digging the fact you added diced zucchini. You are a clever one.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:56 pm

You know I’m always down for adding in more veggies 🙂

Miss Polkadot July 17, 2014 at 4:53 pm

The only reason I don’t make burrito bowls more often is that I rarely ever have cooked rice on hand and the fact brown one takes ages. One day I’ll have a fridge large enough to meal-prep – and from that day one burrito bowls will be regulars.
A typical go-to meal for me this week so far were phyllo pastries. I bought a package of dough and in an attempt to eat it all before it goes bad I’ve been filling it with whatever I had on hand the past days. Just about everything tastes delicious wrapped in buttery flaky pastry.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm

You got that right- when I was younger, phyllo pastry was the only reason I’d eat my veggies 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I think burrito bowls just made their way onto next week’s meal plan…I haven’t had Chipotle since I was in Minneapolis last September. aka: waaaay too long.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Look atchu getting ahead with meal planning for next week 😉

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body July 17, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I’ve been on an avocado kick lately and the first thing I think of are taco/burrito Bowl type dishes. I love adding sour cream, corn, and tomatoes to mine!!

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Yum – when I was eating dairy regularly, I used to love adding in Greek yogurt too 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Ha, I do the same thing – eat the avocado as it is because I can’t be bothered making guac! I love a good burrito bowl. In fact, it’s what I have planned for dinner tomorrow night 🙂

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Yum can I come over tonight?? 😉

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 18, 2014 at 6:08 am

I loooove making homemade burrito bowls! It’s almost as good as going to Chipotle. Almost. 😉

I don’t think I have a go-to meal this week because I haven’t even eaten the same thing twice. And most of my meals have been eaten out! Well, except for breakfast. Good ol’ kefir breakfast bowls have been my standby.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Haha almost being the operational word :)! I need to give kefir another try- I wasn’t a fan the one time I tried it. Is it meant to be very tangy?

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 18, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Yeah it is supposed to be tangy but I buy the 2% kind which I find less tangy than the 0%. Also mixing it with oats, cinnamon, and vanilla helps to mellow it out!

Khushboo July 21, 2014 at 8:20 am

Good to know! I feel the same applies with Greek yogurt- 2% varieties are much more palatable than 0%!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 18, 2014 at 8:11 am

So… I don’t know if we can go on being friends. Not even one visit to Chipotle? I was only in Vegas for 5 days and I still somehow managed 6 visits 😆 I guess you can say I kind of like it there 😉 I’ve been meaning to go ahead and try to make a mock bowl at home, but I honestly have no idea how to replicate the sauce that they use on their chicken — sooooo addicted to that stuff.

Khushboo July 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Hahah glad that you ate enough Chipotle for the both of us :)! Look out for Chipotle-flavored Tabasco in your supermarket- it makes a world of difference in replicating the flavor.

Paul S July 18, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Sadly noodles have been my go-to meal this week. I’ve broken a tooth and I’m having real problems eating solid food.
My mouth is watering at the sight of your burrito bowl!

Khushboo July 21, 2014 at 8:20 am

Oh no- any kind of tooth pain is the worst…hope you’re feeling better!

Brittany July 19, 2014 at 2:58 am

I eat basically the same meals everyday, HA! I only switch things up when I am out and about (hello Whole Foods salad bar!) OR if I am feeling wild.

Khushboo July 21, 2014 at 8:21 am

So hard to resist the WF salad bar!!

P July 21, 2014 at 2:37 am

I agree with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mindset when it comes to food. If it’s what your body craves, why fight it? And if you’re craving something as wholesome and nutritious as a burrito bowl, I’d look at that as a good thing!!

Khushboo July 21, 2014 at 8:21 am