While I’m all for variety in your diet, I am also a big fan of the “If it aint broke, don’t fix it” concept. Lately my meals have been more a case of the latter. So long as I’m still enjoying my meals, I’m not going to fight it. A few current favorites include:
- Homemade chickpea burgers (recipe is here)
- Scrambled eggs & toast
- A heck load of avocado
Especially as it’s finally avocado season in Mumbai, I’ve been sure to make the most of it, often in the form of burrito bowls. It’s one of those meals I have on standby for those instances when I can’t think of what to make or can’t decide what I’m craving. On a side note, I’m so mad at myself: despite being in London for 6 weeks and Chipotle being all of 4 minutes walking-distance from my building, I didn’t eat a single burrito bowl during my trip..total madness!!
Fortunately my DIY version at home just about measures up- I am hooked, guys! I call it the Lazy Burrito Bowl because I’m too lazy to even turn the avocado into guacamole…ain’t nobody got time for that! Along with being a great balance of whole grains, lean protein, veggies & healthy fats, it’s entirely flexible i.e. fit for both vegans & carnivores! I don’t use any strict measurements or ingredients, but here’s the gist:
Lazy Burrito Bowl
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Your choice of protein (My favorites include eggs, chicken, shrimp, chickpeas or lentils)
- Shredded lettuce
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Zucchini, thinly sliced
- Peppers, cut into ½ – inch wide strips
- Chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Coat skillet with oil (or cooking spray) & place over medium heat. Cook protein as necessary & set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté mushrooms, zucchini & peppers until crisp-tender and slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add back protein & brown rice (or quinoa). Season with cumin, chili powder & salt.
- Place lettuce in bowl & top with rice/quinoa mixture, salsa & avocado.
Until my taste buds start to protest, I have a feeling that this is going to remain a fixture in my meal rota.
What’s been your go-to meal this week?