Summer in London

by Khushboo on July 3, 2014

Even though London still counts as home for me, I’ve come to realize that it is my absolute favorite city in the world.  As much as I love the sense of familiarity that comes with being here, I also love the potential for new adventures and experiences…beyond trying new restaurants.  If any of you are spending time in London this summer or in the future, here are a few fun outings to try out once you’ve gotten a good glimpse of the Big Ben & Buckingham Palace:

1) Check out a food market: These are a great way to support local vendors who really take pride in serving quality, fresh food.  From trying out new dishes, indulging in local & seasonal foods or purchasing exotic ingredients, food markets are a great place to get lost in for a couple of hours on the weekend.  Regardless of which area you stay in, I can almost guarantee there is a food market around you.  In the past I’ve blogged about Partridges Food Market in Sloane Square and Borough Market in Southwark.  I went to Marylebone Farmers’ Market a couple of weeks ago and will surely be checking out a few more next time I’m back.

Borough Market

2) Spend an evening at the Rooftop Film Club:  Even though I’d already seen Clueless 80 billion times in the past, there was something extra special about watching it in open air with a blanket wrapped around me and a panoramic view of London at my disposal.  And just for the record, the movie is much more entertaining after a few adult beverages ;).  I enjoyed the experience so much that I went back to watch Dirty Dancing too!

photo 3

3) Indulge in Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea at Sanderson Hotel: This is an Alice in Wonderland inspired tea which turns traditional high tea foods into quirky concoctions like Matcha green tea and white chocolate mousse served in chocolate tea cup
 and ‘Strawberries and cream’ homemade marshmallow mushrooms.  My favorites were the savory scones with herbed butter & melting mango cheesecake
.  Don’t even get me started on the sandwiches including smoked salmon & lemon butter on dark rye bread, and cucumber & chive cream cheese on green spinach bread!  The eccentric crockery only added to the whole experience.  Between the company & food, this was undoubtedly one of my most fun afternoons in London this summer!

photo 2

4) Visit at least one of the public parks: Did you know that London is actually one of the world’s greenest capitals?  I can’t say I’m surprised!  From open air theatres, picnics, boat riding, playgrounds, rose gardens, feeding the ducks, parks & summer in London almost go hand-in-hand.  A few of my favorite include Hyde Park, Regents Park & the Kyoto Garden in Holland Park.

photo 4

What’s your favorite thing to do in summer in your city?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan July 3, 2014 at 2:10 pm

That “Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea” sounds wonderful – those “matcha green tea and white chocolate mousse served in a chocolate cup” sound adorable AND delectable!!! When I was younger and visited London – the parks were some of my favorite places to be and the museums – which used to be free back then.

There’s so much to do in Atlanta – there are parks – the Atlanta History Center (where Hunger Games was filmed), THE Dekalb Farmers Market, a world class aquarium, Coca Cola,to name just a few; but I think my favorite is hiking up Stone Mountain http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities.aspx?cid=ppc_007874 and watching the fireworks after! So when are you visiting? 😉

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Oh wow, you have convinced me to add ATL to my travel list..there’s SO much to see there (other than you of course)! It’s a shame that only a handful of states like NY/California get highlighted!!

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 3, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Wow, London is one of the greenest? That is a (nice) surprise! It really is such a beautiful city and we have a rooftop cinema here too- although they have a 50% rain rate. lol!

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Haha man up and take a poncho with you…it’s SO worth it 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 3, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Wow this is an awesome list! I’m definitely going to save it for if I go to England this fall. And I’m going to pass it along to my sister in the meantime – I’m sure she’d love some of these ideas!

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:40 pm

How is your sister enjoying her stay in England so far? Fortunately the weather has been almost perfect this summer so far!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm

She’s loving it! I know she’s gone into London a few times to explore and sight see.

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:16 am

Fingers crossed you make it out to visit her 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti July 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I’m going to London (for work) again in September! Any change you’ll be around?!

My favorite summertime activity is going to the beach. I love getting comfortable with a good book while listening to the sounds of the ocean. One of my favorite things ever!

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Ah I’m so jealous..and bummed that I won’t be around to see you!! Do you know where you’re staying? And so jealous about your beach access- would love to have one nearby!

Alex@Veggin' Out July 3, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I was in London once like seven years ago and fell in love with the city. Unfortunately I was only there a few days so mostly just did the “touristy” stuff, but I’d love to go back and explore more, especially after reading this post! I especially want to do that afternoon tea. I’ve always wanted to have an afternoon tea experience, and doing it in London would just be even better!

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Do any restaurants there serve authentic high tea to fill the void till your next trip to London?

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 3, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I LOVE the sounds of the Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea! Alice is Wonderland has always been one of my favourite stories. So clearly, once I eventually make my way over there I will definitely have to give that a try!

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Oh in that case, you better make sure you try it out when you’re in London- you would love it!

Nikhita Mahtani July 3, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Love this! If only nyc had high teas, and I love the idea of the rooftop film club. It’s amazing how a city comes alive in the summer – in New York, I particularly love Shakespeare in the park, movie nights at Bryant Park, food truck vendor festivals in Brooklyn and of course, you can’t forget the rooftops for the ‘adult beverages’ 😉

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Ohh wow- clearly NYC is the place to be in summer…and all year round for that matter ha! Love the sound of food truck vendor festivals!!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for doing this! You’ve given me lots of ideas! I have still never been to Regent’s Park… I am a terrible Londoner.

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hahah you are so terrible ;)! You better go this summer!!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets July 4, 2014 at 12:42 am

You have to know how happy it makes me that visiting a local market was number 1 on the list. I LOVE IT!

I also want to watch Dirty Dancing on a rooftop now, with several adult beverages. 😉

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Haha anything involving food will always come number 1 on my list 😉

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 4, 2014 at 3:24 am

I love going to markets in every city i visit. I could ogle and sample foods for hours. 🙂

Khushboo July 4, 2014 at 12:45 pm

You and me both, mate 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I’ve never been to London before, but it’s absolutely on my list of places to visit, and when I do… I know who to hit up for advice on places to go 😀

I’d have to say that my favourite thing to do in the summer here is spend as much time exploring the trails in the river valley as I possibly can. We only get a few months of really nice weather here, so I try to take advantage of it by spending as much time outside as I can.

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:16 am

Oh that does sound so lovely- are you a fan of camping?

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Ok now I REALLY want to go visit London 🙂 My husband and I are hoping to take a Europe trip next summer so I’m hoping London makes it on the list of places to see!

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:16 am

As awesome as London is, let’s be honest- you are going to have an AMAZING time in any European city!!!

Brittany July 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I love it when you’re in London, because you share posts like this and they get me all wanderlusty. I want to go soooososo bad!

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:19 am

Totes going to start using the word ‘wanderlusty’ in my daily vocab- love it 🙂

Paul S July 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’ve lived in England all my life, but I’ve only ever paid 2 or 3 fleeting visits to London. I really should put that right.
Back home I’ve become a big fan of the summer open-air cinema concept. Whether it’s a new release or an old classic, watching a film alfresco is a very different experience to your usual chain cinema outing. Many are set up against the stunning backdrop of an old building, a rooftop or even a graveyard, and the opportunity to grab your favourite cushion or deckchair, a bottle of wine and some plastic glasses to head to an outdoor venue to watch a movie is a great way to spend a warm summers evening.

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:20 am

I couldn’t agree more! Even though al fresco movies tend to cost more than watching a film in the cinema, the experience more than compensates!

P July 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Now I REALLY want to be in London, haha. The tea party thing looks & sounds like a dream! My friend is an AIW fan and I’m sure she would absolutely love that experience.

Khushboo July 6, 2014 at 12:21 am

Oh this high tea would be totally up your friend’s alley!