Blueberry, Banana & Almond Chia Pudding

by Khushboo on June 6, 2014

Hi guys!  Between attending an epic wedding in Scotland & turning 26, this week has been pretty amazing.  Although I didn’t do much sightseeing at all in Scotland, I was so enamored by whatever little I did see.  Given the crisp blue skies and bright greenery, I  felt like I was in a postcard over there.  The clouds actually look like pillows in this picture:

photo-131

No filter needed!

And for all of you who enjoy smoked salmon, just wait till you try Scottish smoked salmon…no words!  But today’s not about salmon…or weddings…or birthdays.  Today I’m talking about chia seeds.  Each season, at least one particular food starts to trend.  Everyone’s talking about it, restaurants incorporate it into their menus and apparently you’re not healthy till it’s part of your diet.  One year it was acai berry, then quinoa, then kale, and most recently: chia seeds.  Given their countless benefits, I can’t say I’m too surprised chia seeds have made the cut.  Some of my favorites include:

• Hydration: Due to their hydrophilic properties, chia seeds can absorb up to 12 times their volume in water
  • An array of nutrients including omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, calcium & phosphorous
  • Cholesterol, blood sugar & insulin level management

Clearly chia seeds are THE food to eat this summer.  I’ve been eating them in my oats for a while now, but lately I’ve been embracing them in the form of Chia Puddings.  Apparently restaurants have caught on too, as I’ve seen Chia Puddings listed on menus about thrice since I’ve been in London.  I made a delicious Blueberry, Banana & Almond Chia Pudding to eat at the airport before our early flight to Scotland on Sunday.

photo-129

Aside from being a great travel breakfast, it’s also perfect for those mornings when you are short on time – all the prep work can be done the night before.

Blueberry, Banana & Almond Chia PuddingServes 2

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup chia seeds
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 1 large ripe banana, mashed + 2 tablespoons banana slices
  • ¾ cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
  • 2-3 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds

Method:

1. Add the milk, chia seeds, vanilla essence & mashed banana to a large bowl or container.  Sir ingredients to incorporate.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
  2. Divide into 2 bowls/Tupperware containers & top with banana slices, blueberries & almonds

Enjoy!

What’s your go-to travel breakfast?

What’s your favorite food trend (past or current)?

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan June 6, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Happy Belated 26th Birthday!!!!!
Chia seeds in pudding form are so delicious – specially when blueberries and bananas are involved!
I think my fav food “trend” would be freekeh – this stuff is so versatile – I have had so much fun working with it – and eating the fruits of my labor 🙂
Have a wonderful weekend Khushboo

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Shashi :)! Freekeh seems to be gaining popularity in London too recently- I’m a fan!

gayatri June 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm

can you use any other milk instead of almond milk?
also what about oats? can you mix oats ?

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Any kind of milk/liquid works well- even yogurt is great! I LOVE mixing in raw oats- it adds more texture and volume…do it, G!

Miss Polkadot June 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Happy belated birthday, Khushboo!
Next time you’re in London we should talk about a meet-up – looks who’s been hit by wanderlust 😉 – and try those chia puddings. Though your homemade version sounds intriguing, too. I’ll admit I have yet to actually like chia pudding but I’ve been meaning to try a blended version for a while already.
Two of my absolute favourite blogger-induced food trends are oat bran and almond butter. I wouldn’t want to miss these in my life anymore – even if I end up spending way too much money on the ‘butter’.

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks soo much :)! I can’t imagine life without nut butter either- so addictive!

GiGi Eats June 7, 2014 at 12:38 am

My go-to travel meal….. I bring it with me – definitely either some left overs or I make a little seafood mixture of deliciousness! ha ha. If the airport security ever took it away from me, I would be SOOO UPSET! lol!

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Whatever you do, don’t try taking nut butter through security- they chucked mine out 🙁

P June 7, 2014 at 6:39 am

Chia seeds ARE everywhere! Haha. I see them in those fruit squeezie packs, on clearance at Marshall’s…they are seriously all the rage right now.

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Ooh I haven’t seen these squeezie packs but I’m intrigued!

Arman @ thebigmansworld June 7, 2014 at 9:55 am

Happy Birthday Khushboo- in honour of your birthday, I will agree that Scottish Smoked Salmon TRUMPS the rest- especially the gravalax one!

I’m not a fan of chia puddings but the idea to mash a banana with it sounds way more appealing!

Khushboo June 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Thanks, my fellow Gemini 😀

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I love chia seeds and I love chia pudding! I love cooking banana into my oats or adding it to overnight oats, but I’ve never tried mashing it into chia pudding… I need to try this soon!

My favourite food trend… does sushi count? Haha.

Khushboo June 9, 2014 at 3:32 am

Sushi always counts 😀

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Since you added a banana, this recipe is a guaranteed winner in my book!

Khushboo June 10, 2014 at 3:28 am