Happy Thursday! I’m in a rather ecstatic mood as I leave for London tonight. I love Bombay but it sure feels good to be going home. I may or may not have already started making my To-Do/Places To-Eat list. I am particularly excited to get my Pad Thai fix at some point this weekend at Busaba. It might not be the fanciest of restaurants but in terms of taste & quality, Busaba is one of my favourites.
In the meanwhile, I’ve been getting my dose of Thai food with a recipe I came up with over the weekend: Red Curried Brown Rice Stir Fry.
Consider this a gravy-less red curry i.e. it has all the yummy flavours of Thai red curry without the wetness. I love me some curry, but the thought alone had me sweating. And of course the idea of dinner being ready in a flash is always welcome, especially on a weeknight. If you don’t eat chicken, go ahead and remix the recipe. I’ve been alternating between chicken, shrimp & tofu.
Red Curried Brown Rice Stir Fry– serves 1
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 medium breast of chicken, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced red/yellow peppers
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heaped teaspoon red curry paste – I use Thai Kitchen
- 1/4 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 2-3 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
- Finely chopped basil for garnish- optional
- Coat a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Once heated add chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add red curry paste & broth. Reduce heat & stir well. Once fragrant (about 90 seconds), add in rice, chicken & veggies. Combine well and cook for a further 90 seconds. Towards the end, stir in coconut milk.
- Turn off heat & transfer stir fry to a serving plate. Garnish with basil & serve hot.
Catch you guys on the other side of the
What’s your favourite Thai dish?