Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

by Khushboo on September 30, 2013

Happy Monday guys!  I am going to start this post with a disclaimer:

If you came here looking for a healthy recipe, please head to my Recipe Page.  But if you’re looking for a recipe that’s either

• Easy
  • Insanely delicious
  • Resourceful

…stick around, buddy!

After 4 years, I was finally in the same country as my sister to celebrate her birthday last week. While planning her celebrations, I obviously jumped to the most important point: Birthday cake.  As a fellow-cookie fan , I decided to skip the cake this year in favor of a cookie…one extra large cookie:

photo 4

As per usual, Google didn’t really put my skepticism at peace i.e. whehther or not it would turn out. Some sites confirmed that it worked perfectly whereas others claimed that a large cookie wouldn’t cook through.  In case you are wondering, turning a batch of 24 cookies into one single cookie is a fantastic idea.  Wanna see?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

1) Get your hands on a cookie mix.  I opted for Betty Crocker because let’s face it, Betty knows what’s up.   As for her choice of ingredients? Ignorance is bliss my friends…bliss.

photo 10

2) Preheat oven to 170ºC

3) Combine the egg, butter & mix as per packet directions.  Stir until well combined & a dough is formed

photo 6

4) Spoon cookie dough onto an 8-inch round baking tray

photo 9

5) Depending on your manicure status, use a spoon or your hands to smoothen out the dough.  Try to ensure that all sides are even.

photo 8

6) The packet advises baking the cookies for 9-12 minutes. Due to the cookie’s size, bake for 20-25 minutes.  For the last few minutes, switch the oven to grill mode, until the cookie develops a golden brown color.

7) Remove cookie from oven. Allow to cool & harden.

photo 7

Decorating the cookie

As we don’t stock frosting or icing sugar at home, it was time to get creative:

1) In a small bowl, add 1-2 teaspoons of peanut butter & 1-2 tablespoons of water. Combine until the peanut butter develops a paste-like consistency.

photo 1

2) Without an icing nozzle, it was difficult to get too fancy.  Enter in a toothpick & teaspoon.  Numbers are easier to write than words, which is why you see a “29” and not “Happy Birthday”.

photo 2

3) For a burst of color, top “frosting” with Gems, Smarties, M&M’s or any other colorful chocolate/sweets.

photo 3

4) Resist the urge to dig in until cake cutting time 😉

photo 5

Cake or Cookies?

What is your ideal birthday cake?

ritika September 30, 2013 at 2:33 pm

cake or cookies? how about both 🙂
and the cook-cake looks fab, would be lovely withs some ice cream

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I like the way you think 🙂

Arman @ thebigmansworld September 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I think this correlates to your amazing post last week- A slice of this is definitely the definition of healthy in the grand scheme of things! Betty crocker can seriously do no wrong!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Ah thanks Arman! I know the ingredients don’t really scream “clean” but like you said, it’s all about looking at health in a macro sense 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen September 30, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Your sister is one lucky girl. 😀 I’ve never made a cookie cake before, but I’ve eaten one before and they are amazing! I mean, how can you ever go wrong with a giant cookie?

My ideal birthday cake is my mom’s carrot cake with lots and lots of cream cheese frosting. It’s what she makes me every year! However, I wouldn’t say no if she wanted to make me a cheesecake with chocolate ganache and caramel drizzle next year too. 😉

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Ohh man your mom sounds like quite the chef- both those cakes sound FABULOUS!

Anita Menon September 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Very resourceful indeed. Happy birthday to your sister!! superb cookie cake

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Thanks on her behalf, Anita 😀

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm

My mom used to always make us cookie cakes for our birthdays! I thought they were the coolest things EVER 🙂 It still looks super delicious!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I still think they are the coolest things ever ;)!

Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Choosing between cookies and cake is just mean!!! I ‘ll take a cookie cake please! My birthday is August 27th which should give you plenty of time to begin preparations for my cookie cake 😉 This looks insanely good!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Haha – Khushboo, if you are taking orders – you could just make a giant bday cake cut it in half, send half to Davida and half to me – C.O.D. 😉 – My bday was September 4th, we are barely a week apart

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm

HAHA- I’ll have a word with Fed Ex 😉

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hahah I have 11 months to prepare 😉

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Oh mY – I think birthday cake IS THE MOST IMPORTANT part of a birthday celeb. too!!! What an awesome sis you are – this is one swell cake and PEANUT BUTTER frosting!!!!! GAHHHHHHH!!!!!
Hmmm – you ask hard questions my friend – I love cake AND cookies…ideal birthday cake is ANY cake on my bday made by ANYONE but myself – am not hard to please 🙂
Happy belated bday to your sis 🙂

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hahah I knew you’d love the peanut butter frosting ;)!

z September 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

love both cake and cookies! 🙂
neat!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm

You & me both 😉

Lisa September 30, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Um. one word amazing.
I think cookies taste better when they are cake like in texture. So this would be a winner for me!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm

You would most definitely love this 😀

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm

So…my birthday is in 3 1/2 weeks. Want to send one of these my way? :-p I love this idea! I’ve made a larger-than-normal cookie, but never made a cake-sized one. So brilliant!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Let me see if FedEx will accommodate 😉

Angela @ Health's Angel September 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Birthdays definitely call for indulgences like this! YUM. If I had to pick, I’d probably choose cookies. But, nothing compares to wedding cake or an awesome piece of carrot cake. 🙂

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love wedding cakes, especially when they go down the vanilla route 😀

Parita @ myinnershakti September 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Happy birthday to your sister! I love that you guys were able to celebrate together in one place!

And cookie cakes are my favorite! Did this one turn out soft or more crunchy??

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside <3

dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I am so glad it worked out…I have always been wanting to make them and absolutely digging this. Happy Belated to your sister.

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Thanks on her behalf, Dixya!

P September 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Cookie cakes are THE best! My sis and I have had them for our own birthdays. They would be crispy at the edges and soft, warm, and chewy in the middle…perfection 😀

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Mmmm that sounds heavenly…and has sparked a craving :)!

Raashi September 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Hey..I enjoy your blog! Just to add to our mutual cookie-instead- of-cake pref..I make mine with the betty Crocker mix but instead of butter and egg or oil as some recipes demand, I substitute with pumpkn puree (straight out of a can or by making my own desi organic version). Tastes absolutely great and no one can tell..infact it gets a gooey soft in the the center texture I love.. Try it!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Thanks Raashi :)! I love the sound of replacing the butter/egg/oil with pumpkin puree. Healthier swaps mean bigger portions, right ;)!

Nikhita September 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm

That’s so sweet you made a cookie cake for your sister! It’s my sister’s birthday soon too and I wish I could celebrate with her! Cookies are my weakness so I’m in love with this idea.. And using peanut butter as icing = genius!!

Khushboo September 30, 2013 at 11:11 pm

First stop when you’re back- Indigo Deli for cookies ;)?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm

HA! I’m absolutely in love with your disclaimer. BUT! In all fairness, balance is a big part of being healthy 😉 And please don’t make me choose between cookies and cake… I see both as an essential part of life :mrgreen:

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

“Essential” being the key word 😉

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 1, 2013 at 4:10 am

I’ve never really been much of a candy/chocolate person, but baked goods are my one weakness! Donuts, muffins, cakes, brownies, cookies…you name it! Though if I HAD to choose between cookies or cake, I’d have to go with cookies since I’m not really a big fan of frosting! Actually, I was thinking about requesting a cookie cake for my birthday this year! Love the idea of the peanut butter topping! YUM!

Just want you to know I couldn’t help but giggle over the line about your manicure! Haha!

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:45 am

Ahh finally someone who is not a fan of frosting- it’s all about the cake <3

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 1, 2013 at 5:25 am

That’s nice you’re able to be with your sister this year! The occasion will be all the more special 🙂 Your disclaimer made me laugh and as Amanda said above, healthy eating and all of that is about balance! I fully endorse the fact that a cookie cake fits quite well into, what I consider to be, a “healthy diet.” Good choice on Betty Crocker mix, I’ve never gone wrong when using her stuff

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

Absolutely- the occasional cookie does a world of good to our bodies 😀

Ameena October 1, 2013 at 5:51 am

Cookies for sure. I used to use that exact baking mix years ago and everyone agreed it was magical. Not sure what’s in there but those cookies were a hit every time!

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

If I’m not mistaken, crack is in those cookies 😉

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 1, 2013 at 7:29 am

OMG FEED ME!!! This seriously looks so bomb. Happy birthday to your sis!

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks, Alexis 😀

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 1, 2013 at 9:25 am

Happy belated birthday to your sis! Healthy schmealthy, the cookie cake turned out great!

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

Healthy is overrated 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig October 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Oh my god. I’m speechless!! This is a fab idea – please make one for me? 😉

Khushboo October 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Haha I think it can be arranged 😉

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness October 1, 2013 at 8:37 pm

you had me at “chocolate chip cookie cake” 🙂 that looks soo good! and its so pretty! happy birthday to your sister!! and i went through a phase where i would ALWAYS request cookie cakes over real cakes, so this reminds me that i think its time to eat one again soon 🙂

Khushboo October 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

I think it’s about time too 😀

honeywhatscooking October 1, 2013 at 9:36 pm

happy birthday to your sis. So nice of you to bake her a cookie. I am more of a Cake person, but cookie works. Cool idea. This year I made a Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie in a cast-iron and that was really good, way too much sugar though, I need to tone it down a notch.
🙂

Khushboo October 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Less sugar means more room for chocolate chips 😉

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets October 1, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I love the creativity, although I’m a sucker for frosting. For me, that’s the most important part. I could even skip the cake and the cookie if it means I get extra frosting. My go to standard frosting recipe is confectionary sugar, butter, vanilla and milk of choice. Yum.

Khushboo October 2, 2013 at 9:54 am

We’d be good cake-eating partners…you get my frosting if I get your cake 😉

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Deal.

Karina C October 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Best birthday cake/cookie ever!!! Now I really need to make it a point to spend every birthday with!!!

Khushboo October 2, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Come back soon- this time I’ll make you juice galore 😀