Chobani taste test

by Khushboo on July 22, 2013

You know what beats receiving an e-mail? Receiving a letter in the mail! And you know what’s even better than that? Receiving a letter AND package in the mail…especially when it’s filled with yogurt!  I walked home on Thursday to one of the nicest surprises from Chobani: 8 pots of flavored 0% strained (=Greek) yogurt:

Chobani

I’ve heard so much about Chobani Greek Yogurt and was psyched to hear that they’ve introduced the brand in the UK.  Due to legal issues, Chobani is actually positioned as “Strained Yogurt” in England & Wales.  Based on court rulings, it is the straining process, not a country of origin that removes the excess liquid from the yogurt making it deliciously thick and creamy.  Ultimately calling the yogurt “Greek” involves a material misrepresentation.  (Source).

The flavors I received included Apple Cinnamon, Black Cherry, Pomegranate, Blueberry, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry & Blood Orange.  I’m still making my way through them all but here are my thoughts so far:

• For the most part, the stats are great: each flavor racks in about 130 cals & 12.6g of protein for 170g.  Each serving also contains a whopping 19g of sugar, which is slightly on the high side.  It should be noted that this comes from cane sugar AND fruit.
  • I am a big fan of the all-natural ingredient list:

Fat Free Yoghurt (cultured Pasteurised Skimmed Milk, Live And Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus And L. Casei), Cane Sugar, Pomegranate Seeds, Pomegranate Juice Concentrate, Pectin, Natural Pomegranate Flavour, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Locust Bean Gum, Fruit And Vegetable Juice Concentrate (for Color).

**taken from the Pomegranate flavor

I had a quick look at the ingredient list of Müllerlight (a popular yogurt brand in the UK with a number of flavors) was horrified to see “gelatine”, “flavorings”, and “aspartame” listed.

photo 4

• Up until now, my fridge was regularly stocked with containers of Fage Total 0% Greek yogurt.  Chobani is not as thick, but creamy enough.
  • I can’t compare the taste of plain Chobani & Total as I haven’t tried the former.  As Chobani kindly included vouchers for 2 additional pots to purchase on my own, I will be trying the plain Chobani to see how it measures up.

photo 2

• As of now, Apple Cinnamon takes the lead as my favorite– its flavor is spot on.  I also enjoyed Strawberry but Black Cherry needs some work.
  • Apparently Chobani have introduced flavors like Vanilla, Coconut, Strawberry Banana & Coffee with Dark Chocolate Chips in the US.  Here’s hoping they do the same in London!

For the most part, I am going to stick with the plain Total Greek yogurt for breakfast and continue sweetening it with fresh fruit and honey.  It has more protein for the same amount (18g v 12.6g) and less sugar (7g v 19g). However I will be buying these Chobani cups to eat as snacks, especially when my sweet tooth kicks in.  Hopefully sticking them in the freezer will produce a consistency similar to that of fro yo.

Thanks again to Chobani for generously hooking me up with so many flavors. Although I was sent these products to try free of charge, I was not provided with any other compensation.  As always, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.

What’s your favorite brand of Greek yogurt?

What’s your favorite yogurt flavor? Vanilla

Chobani UK July 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hi, Khushboo! We’re so pleased that you enjoyed our fruit flavours and are a fan of our only naturally sourced ingredients. Some of the sugar found in our strained yoghurt is also naturally occurring in the milk (lactose) and we’d love you to try our Plain yoghurt which has nothing added but milk and live cultures (4g of sugar per 100g). Email coming your way!

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks so much again, guys! I’m looking forward to trying out the plain Chobani 🙂

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 22, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I LOVE the plain Chobani!! It’s so good. I ate it all the time while my vacation in the US, since I knew once I am coming back there’s no more!
Also, my favorite yogurt ‘flavor’ is plain. But for a sweet treat I LOVE coconut or blueberry/strawberry!

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried coconut flavored yogurt- I bet it’s even better with choc chips thrown in 😉

dixya@food, pleasure, and health July 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I love getting mails when I get back from work..I am glad you were able to enjoy Chobani I love their product to bake with.

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Greek yogurt in baked goods is a fabulous alternative to oils- works a charm!

Arman @ thebigmansworld July 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I remember when they brought Chobani to Australia… I may have jumped for joy, after living off it in the States then coming home to the overly sweet ‘natural’ yogurt. Sorry yogHurt. Interesting about the labelling dilemma!

My favourite is the plain one, as I use it as a base for cereal and other random things (I once made a cucumber raita with it which was awesome!)

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

After trying cereal with yogurt, I can’t go back to having it with milk anymore…yogurt bowls are my jam 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I’m so jealous you guys have Chobani in the US. It sucks that they started selling it in Canada for a while and then pulled it out. 😛 I really like the apple cinnamon flavour too and the black cherry. But vanilla is hands down my favourite yogurt flavour. I like how versatile it is! I wish flavoured Greek yogurts didn’t have so much sugar in them though. It would be awesome if a brand would start making Greek yogurts with half as much sugar in them… but without replacing it with artificial sugars. I don’t think they realize that a lot of consumers would still like them if they’re less sweet!

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Agreed- I actually prefer when yogurts (fro yo included) contain a bit of a tang, especially if I’m eating it for breakfast!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 22, 2013 at 5:15 pm

So cool! Nothing beats my Fage for both high protein content and low sugar, but Chobani would be great as a snack! If putting it in the freezer really turns it into a fro-yo like consistency, I definitely want to try it – so let me know!

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm

You know I surely will- a girl can hope 😉

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 23, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’m going to be nosey and chime in here! I’ve tried freezing the yogurt, and it’s in no way like froyo (too icey)……UNLESS you blend it! Try popping it in a magic bullet or good blender, and the result will be a smooth, creamy froyo-like treat. So good!

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Ohh be as nosey as you want- thanks for sharing this tip :)! Can’t wait to try this out!

Alex@Veggin' Out July 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I have yet to try the chobani cinnamon apple! I really like their pomegranate flavor and all their flip varieties though. My all-time favorite yogurt flavor is key lime by yoplait. Probably not all-nataural or anything but so good and reminds me of my childhood 🙂

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I am yet to try the pomegranate Chobani but I think it’ll be the next one I pop open 🙂

Parita July 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Love getting packages (especially of food) in the mail! Chobani is one of my favorites, but I have to admit I usually go for the 0% plain. I like dressing it up with my own flavors. I hope you get to try the new Chobani bites soon – the raspberry/chocolate one is amazing!

Khushboo July 22, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Ohh that does sound amazing…then again, chocolate-anything sounds pretty ideal 😉

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 22, 2013 at 7:24 pm

That’s so funny they are more strict with how you refer to Greek yogurt in the UK! I love my Greek (or strained) yogurt, but prefer to start with the plain and add my own flavors from there.

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Strained yogurt just doesn’t have the same ring as “Greek” yogurt 😉

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 22, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Ahhh Chobani. Love. I really wish they were up in Canada again! Out of all of their flavours that I’ve tried, Apple Cinnamon won out for me. Seriously amazing. I usually go for plain, but it’s fun to mix it up with different flavours for snacks once in a while.

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Any idea why they stopped stocking in Canada?

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Apparently, there was an issue with finding long-term milk supply in Canada – they had been importing under a temporary permit, but that expired. There is talks about building a plant in Kingston (ontario) though, so hopefully that goes through eventually!

Khushboo July 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

For your sake, I hope so too 🙂

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com July 22, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Love Chobani – such simple ingredients!
Glad you got to sample these – the apple one looks great! Do yall have the Chbani flips there? So so good!

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm

No sign of Chobani Flips here- fingers crossed it’s just a matter of time 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm

My favorite yogurt flavor is vanilla, too! I always thought that I was boring and the only one who would choose it as their favorite, but I guess that I am not the only one! 😉

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I prefer the term “classic” over “boring” 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 23, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Haha, love it! 😉

Lisa July 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I’ve never had chobani before!! It still hasn’t come to where I live in Canada, and well, now that I have my lactose allergy it’s off the table for now. Boo. I always hear amazing things though.

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Does Greek yogurt trigger any symptoms? I ask because the its lactose content is much lower than other dairy products!

Lisa July 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Yep – it does for me! It’s so weird, but I can instantly tell a different in my stomach when I eat it. I also get these weird bumps too! So random. The same with goat milk which is supposed to be pretty safe, which is unfortunate. Oh well!

P July 23, 2013 at 3:46 am

I’m so glad you got to try Chobani “strained” yogurt ;)!
Honestly, I love the UK packaging more than the US kind.

I agree, Chobani is not as thick as Fage!

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I hope they bring the 2% Chobani here- I’m sure that will be creamier!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

I’m a total Chobani devotee, so I’m pretty excited you were finally able to try a few of the flavors! I buy 0% or 2% plain 95% of the time because it’s lowest in sugar and easiest to customize, however when I’m craving something a bit more fun, I usually reach for pineapple or coconut (they’re actually really good together, too – like a pina colada! 😉 ) . The 2% plain is my absolute favorite, though, as the slight addition of fat makes a world of difference in taste and texture (it’s much more creamy).

I’m still recovering from the jealousy of missing out on your Pinkberry date with Tara! Gah, I so wish I could have joined you two! It WILL happen next year! <3 xoxoxo

Khushboo July 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Ah we really did miss you, Sara- can’t wait for next year 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien July 23, 2013 at 8:49 pm

What a fun package to come home to!!! I feel ya on the sugar content–I like to go with the plain and eat it with honey and fruit as well. But the sweetened ones definitely satisfy my sugar cravings! Yesterday I ate a peach one with a chopped fresh peach and it was toooooo good.

Khushboo July 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Mmm peach overload- love it 🙂

Archana July 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’ve always only tried plain Fage Greek yogurt. Some of chobanis flavored (like pomegranate ) sound great. Maybe time to try one!

Khushboo July 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm

They’re definitely worth trying 🙂

Nikhita July 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm

LOVE Chobani! My favorite yogurt flavors are pomegranate and strawberry – love fruity textures! Although I agree that most packaged yogurts have too much sugar in them, so I prefer to buy plain yogurt and add fruit for natural sweetness as well 🙂 Currently obsessed with almonds and peaches in yogurt – so delish!

Khushboo July 24, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Have you tried hanging plain yogurt (the Nestle or Danone slim dhai)? If not, you HAVE to- the creamy texture & thickness is fab!

honey, what's cooking? July 26, 2013 at 7:16 am

That’s exciting. I go back and forth between Chobani and Fage.. it depends on the flavor really. I actually didn’t like the Apple Cinnamon, may have been too tart. I really like Chobani’s Mango flavor I believe.. there blueberry is nice too. I’m catching up on posts. 🙂

Khushboo July 26, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Welcome back 🙂

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I still haven’t hopped on the Chobani train yet and they even give it away at the office every other week. For awhile there, I walked away from yogurt altogether because so many brands had crap ingredients, so it’s nice to hear Chobani doesn’t. Like you I currently consume Fage plain Greek yogurt or Greek Gods honey flavored. I’m a huge fan of the latter, although the former is what they carry in bulk at Costco so that’s what I’ve been buying.

Khushboo August 14, 2013 at 3:40 am

That’s so awesome that you get Chobani in your office- are you guys hiring ;)?