Picnic in the Park: Hummus Devilled Eggs

by Khushboo on July 15, 2013

Although it’s been a while since I’ve tested my vitamin D levels, I’m pretty sure they are more than topped off after these past 2 days.  Aside from sleeping, I think I’ve spent a total of 5 hours at home all weekend- the weather was far too nice and being inside felt hotter than outside.  Grosvenor is currently hosting “Summer in the Park” which is a full 18 days of free music, theatre and fun for the entire family to enjoy.  With reference to “fun”, think board games on steroids….check out how massive these are:

photo 1

Although stalls selling burgers, quiches, soft serve ice cream are also set up, there’s something a more fun about having a picnic…which is exactly what we did yesterday.  After a trip to M & S in the morning, we managed to set up a pretty yum spread involving:

• Cold cuts (ham, prosciutto & salami)
  • Slices of Mexican Chili chicken breast

• Hummus
  • Strawberries
  • Beer, soft drinks & water

And my contribution:

• Hummus Devilled Eggs

photo 1

I decided to remix traditional Devilled Eggs, which are mayo-filled.  They finished pretty fast, which is always a good sign.

Hummus Devilled Eggs

Ingredients:

• 5 hard-boiled eggs
  • 3-4 heaped tablespoons  hummus
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Method

1) Peel the eggs and slice in half lengthwise.
2) Remove the yolks and place them in a bowl.
3) Mash the yolks with a fork.
4) Add the hummus, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Combine well with the fork.
5) Fill the center of each egg white half with some of the yolk mixture.

Devilled Eggs

Naturally a few rounds of table tennis & Ludo were involved post-eating…game on ;)!

What are your favorite picnic foods?

What is/was your favorite board game?

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I love these huge boardgames!! Such a great idea!
And your picnic basket looks totally my style. I LOVE hummus for a picnic and stuffing it into hardboiled eggs??? Genius! So glad you got to enjoy the sun!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Hope the weather is nice & sunny in Switzerland too 🙂

Sophia July 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Oh this looks like my dream day! Games and great picnic food! Giant game at that (how awesome!) I do love connect four and giant chess lol! All of those picnic foods sound brilliant to me 🙂 antipasto (especially olives and artichokes) , cold roast meats, fresh tomatoes and salad, tabbouleh and fresh crunchy baguette are some of my favourite picnic foods 🙂 such fun- how amazing London must be in Summer 🙂

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Summer in London makes you forget about the country’s miserable weather during the rest of the year 😉

Jess @thefitspirit July 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm

What a blast!! My kids love the giant board games!!!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Your kids have good taste 😉

Nikhita July 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Yumm I love hummus, so much more so than mayo!! 🙂 And it’s so much better for you!

Your picnic looks great, two of my faves for picnics are proscuitto and mozarella salads, and salmon and sundried tomato cream cheese sandwiches! Yes, I like cheese.

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Cheese for the win :)! I would never think to combine salmon & sundried tomatoes but that sounds great!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Yum!! I’m totally trying this 🙂 And that looks like fun! I need to do a picnic in the park this weekend if the weather stays nice 😀

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

So far, it looks like we have great weather up until Friday…Wednesday might be an exception though!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen July 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I love picnics! Baguette, cold cuts, and cheese are always necessary. 😀 And your spin on deviled eggs is so clever. I bet they taste awesome!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Bread, cheese and meat==> winning combo right there 😉

P July 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Massive chess game! Looks like a lot of fun! And hummus deviled eggs? That sounds so delicious! Why didn’t I think of that 😛

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Give ’em a shot 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 15, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I love your spin on deviled eggs! I sub hummus for mayo in tuna salad, so I imagine it would work so well for deviled eggs as well.
Favourite board game is the Game of Life or Scrabble…Eric and I were obsessed with Scrabble for a while and played it at least a few times a week. I think I need to challenge him again 😉

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Ohh if you are a Scrabble lover, you must download the Words With Friends app- I’m addicted!!

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm

those hummus devilled eggs looks DELICIOUS! oh my gosh i’m going to have to give that recipe a try. what a fun summer event! and i really do think its somewhat of an art to be a good picnic packer- im saving this post for future reference- everything looks wonderful!!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thanks Charlotte..I hope this post comes handy for you at some point during the summer 🙂

dixya| food, pleasure, and health July 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm

i loveeeee those huge board games 🙂 I will be making this deviled eggs ASAP – its genius protein packed food.

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I hope you enjoy ’em, Dixya!

Parita @ myinnershakti July 15, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Love your assortment of picnic foods! When we “picnic,” that usually means sandwiches and chips. But food aside, I think the games are the most fun! Love the life size games. Wish we had a park like that near us!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

As basic as sandwich & chips are, they’re pretty ideal for a picnic 🙂

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com July 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Hummus deviled eggs sound like an amazing idea!
Thanks for sharing!

Khushboo July 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Anytime Shashi 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm

How seriously creative are these?!? And since there are SO many different flavors of hummus, just think of how many different ways that you could make these! Yum :).

Khushboo July 16, 2013 at 2:23 am

Ohh I didn’t even think to remix it further with flavored hummus- good call 🙂

Honey, What's Cooking July 16, 2013 at 1:22 am

I’ve made healthy deviled eggs, but not with hummus, but avocado. THis looks soooooooo good. You can really add anything inside. So jelly you are in London… omg, try Paul’s Hot Chocolate even though it’s so hot… if you have time. I love it!
Favorite picnic food is pita and babaghanoush.
Haven’t gone on many picnics but that stands out.

Khushboo July 16, 2013 at 2:24 am

Ooh I love hot choc but I don’t think I can do it right now- way too hot! At least trying Paul’s hot choc will be my silver lining for when the sun goes into hiding 😉

Alexis @ Hummusapien July 16, 2013 at 6:38 am

Hummus deviled eggs?!?! How genius! You know this is right up my alley 🙂 I’d definitely at the whole plate. (And I probably wouldn’t share.)

Khushboo July 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm

You like hummus? I wouldn’t have guessed 😉

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I love the idea of hummus in deviled eggs! I typically don’t like them at all, but anything with hummus I can get on board with. 🙂

Khushboo July 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Hummus makes everything better 😀

Alex@Veggin' Out July 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I need to have a picnic before summer ends!!! EVERYTHING at your picnic sounds amazing! But I do especially love the idea of hummus deviled eggs. I love deviled eggs, and I love hummus so I bet I would love the two combined 🙂

Khushboo July 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I am sure you will love these 😀

Archana July 17, 2013 at 5:14 am

Hummus in deviled eggs! pure genius. I could eat those!
My fav picnic foods are usually large batches of salads – israeli couscous salad or lentil salads and home made salsa with chips. I also love making balsamic mushroom sandwiches with goat cheese on some crusty bread like ciabatta. The balsamic soaks into the bread while the sandwich sits and makes it soft and yummy!

Khushboo July 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I sure would like to picnic with you- your spread sounds DELISH! 🙂

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets July 21, 2013 at 6:56 am

I like the way you picnic. Your spread sounds fantastic, and those giant board games…what fun. It sounds like a really great time. I’m a big fan of deviled eggs and eager to try your version with hummus. Thanks for sharing.

Khushboo July 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm