My take on the 3 F’s…

by Khushboo on June 21, 2013

Hey guys! Rather than blog about just food, fitness or friends, I thought I’d do a triple whammy today:

• Food: Chicken salad has been my go-to lunch recently.  Given my dislike towards mayonnaise, I often use avocado as a replacement.  This past week, I’ve been adding a creamy texture with Greek yogurt instead.  It tastes delicious and the protein boost doesn’t hurt either. There isn’t much of a recipe to it so I’ll give you the Sparknotes version: Combine shredded cooked chicken with Greek yogurt, mustard, diced cucumber and loads of freshly ground pepper.  If you have Chipotle sauce, I’d highly recommend adding some at the end!

photo-47

• Fitness:  With a circuit workout courtesy of a friend on Monday, a run, and a couple of yoga classes under my belt, this week has been great on the fitness front.   I’m counting down till my workouts will be taking place in this beauty a.k.a. Hyde Park:

photo-46

…T minus 10 days 🙂

• Friends: Ever since my friends Ria & Divya developed the concept of The Good Crane Weekend, I’ve been looking forward to this weekend starting.  It’s a community project which aims to brings together people across Mumbai with good deeds.  Tapping into their origami hobby, they’ve created over 3,000 cranes which each mention a good deed.  Customers dining in select restaurants across Mumbai merely have to carry out the mentioned good deed, document them by way of pictures, Tweet or Instagram the picture (@acraneaday) and pass on the crane for more people to follow suit.

photo-48

Prizes are involved for the 5 best pictures chosen.  If you’re in Mumbai this weekend, cranes are going to be placed at:

• Sushi and More
  • Café Zoe
  • LPQ
  • Barking Deer
  • Woodside Inn
  • The Pantry
  • The Breakfast Club

And if you’re not, like their Facebook Page!  You know I’m all about paying it forward so I have no doubt that this project is going to take Mumbai by storm…pun intended ;)!

Have a great weekend!

What’s you been eating for lunch this week?

Fit in any good workouts this week? Brag away…

Sophia June 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Oh that is such a beautiful idea- bringing people together through kindness! I love some of those name locations- restaurants and cafes have such imagination in Mumbai- sweetish house mafia 🙂 Chicken and yoghurt are fabulous together- I usually have the combo in Turkish restaurants- I can just imagine how lovely that “recipe” would be (especially with toast- that’s my girl ;)) I have been having vegemite, avo, cheese and tomato sandwiches- but I’m looking for a new lunch staple- lets just say men are bastards 🙁 I’m thinking chicken salad sounds good perhaps 😉 Have a great weekend Khushboo! Lots of love Sophia

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Ah I hope everything is okay with you and your man :(. The name Sweetish House Mafia made me laugh too- I’m always up for a good pun!

Sophia June 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm

No longer my man 🙁 he ended up being not a nice guy- very deceptive!

Khushboo June 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Oh man..so sorry to hear! Sending lots of positive vibes your way, Sophia :)! Hope you are doing okay…

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I love using Greek yogurt in chicken and egg salads. Mayonaisse has always been one of those foods that totally skeeves me out, and you know how much I love my Greek yogurt 😉 Actually… I think I ended up having a yogurt bowl for lunch at least one day this week. Other than that, it’s been chicken enchilada casserole leftovers and wraps around these parts. No complaints 😀 But I’m out of both right now, so I have no idea what’s going to be on the menu for today.

Happy Friday, Khushboo!

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm

You know my sentiments towards yogurt meals for lunch/dinner- always a good idea ;)!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen June 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

The Good Crane Weekend sounds like such a neat idea! I used to love making origami, but I doubt I could remember how to do it these days. 😛

I love using Greek yogurt + Dijon mustard as a replacement for mayo in tuna/chicken salad. I haven’t tried avocado yet though. I bet it’s really good too!

I had a good back workout on Wednesday where I did drop sets – I’m still sore today!

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh boy, my muscles ache for you ;)!

P June 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hyde Park looks so pretty! The perfect backdrop for long runs!

And the crane project sounds awesome!!

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hyde Park alone is enough motivation for me to get my trainers on :)!

Jess @thefitspirit June 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Wow what an incredible idea!!! So lovely!

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I agree 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I have an olive oil mayo that I love and have been thinking about making chicken salad…so I think that may be my lunch next week 😉 This week I’ve been having a lot of coleslaw with diced chicken.

And that’s such an awesome idea! I hope it goes well.

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Is there a huge taste in olive oil mayo regular? If so, perhaps I can get on board with mayo after all!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 22, 2013 at 12:30 am

10 days!!!! Hopefully the weather perks up by the time you get here – it feels like we’ve dipped back into winter :S

Khushboo June 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh mannn don’t tell me that :(! Clearly that pic of Hyde Park is just a tease then!

Brittany June 23, 2013 at 7:53 am

Ohhh avocado instead of mayo, what a great idea!! I don’t eat mayo anyway, so this is genius! I had the most epic run on Thursday, fastest one yet!! I was jazzed.

Khushboo June 23, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Woo hoo- way to kill that run! Well done 🙂

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I love the concept behind The Good Crane Weekend – what a wonderful way to promote random acts of kindness! I sure hope the idea spreads quickly; I’d love to see something like that take off in my city! 🙂

I’ve been away from home for over a week, so my lunches have been ALL over the place. 😉 Lots of snacking occurred during the first portion of the trip (12 + hours spent in the car), which meant I made meals out of ice cream cones, kettle corn, hard boiled eggs, and seaweed snacks. Not *too* bad for a road trip, but definitely not my preferred way of eating. Today I enjoyed an amazing fried egg sandwich with avocado while prepping for the wedding (courtesy of the bride’s brother). It made me realize I need to increase the frequency of my fried egg sandwich consumption – they’re so simple, and SO good. 🙂 Speaking of…your chicken salad sounds delicious. I’m one of the outcast HLBers who loves mayo, but I’d definitely to give your healthified version a try. 🙂

I hope you’re enjoying your weekend, Khushboo! Sending huge hugs your way! <3 xoxoxoxo

Khushboo June 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ice cream cones for lunch with a side of boiled eggs like a well-balanced meal to me..good mix of carbs (cone), calcium (ice cream), protein & fat (eggs including yolks) ;)! I kid I kid but sometimes you gotta make the best of the situation at hand and work with what you got …and it seems like you did just that :)!

Alex@Veggin' Out June 23, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I love the idea to use avocado or Greek yogurt instead of mayo! I’ll have to try that, maybe using both at once 😛
My workouts this week have been walking my dogs for about 20 minutes each night. Intense, I know 😉 haha
Have a great Sunday!

Khushboo June 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Any workout counts…no matter how long or intense 🙂

Ameena June 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm

What a very cool idea. And wait…there are LPQs in India? How nice!

You must be getting excited about your trip to London! I tried a couple of new places that I recommend: Zoom, La Porte Des Indes, and Sofra (I’ve been a few times and I’ve loved it every time!).

Have a great Sunday!

Khushboo June 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I love Sofra but haven’t tried La Porte Des Indes or Zoom yet..will definitely remember them when I get there. Thanks for the heads up, Ameena 🙂

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets June 24, 2013 at 7:07 am

The Good Crane Weekend sounds like such an awesome concept; how cool to be a part of something like that.
I sometimes swap Greek yogurt for mayo or even oil in recipes, and I really like the final results.

Khushboo June 24, 2013 at 8:29 am

Oil is another great replacement too, especially with the addition of fresh herbs 🙂

honeywhatscooking June 24, 2013 at 8:42 am

you know they have mayo without egg now… i think they use olive oil instead. i’m gonna try it, hopefully it’s good. omg, the whole week i ate bread and pb, or bread and butter. was so out of it… i’m so glad to eat salads tomorrow with salmon and dressing and all my fun stuff. 🙂

Khushboo June 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm