Hole in one: The Bagel Shop

by Khushboo on June 3, 2013

You know what’s the best thing since sliced bread? Bagels…even better when they’re toasted.  Up until last week, I can’t even remember the last time I ate one.  I heard about this cute café in Bandra called The Bagel Shop a while back and have been wanting to try it since. I was sold after glancing at the menu online and reading a particular review which compared it to the bagels in New Yawk.

photo 4

Vegetarian, non-vegetarian, sweet or savory, and with 6 different kinds of bagels to choose from, the menu options were endless.  I’m glad I went with my sister who shares my taste in food.  We initially ordered the Roasted Chicken on Whole-Wheat (Roasted chicken, tomato, lettuce, gherkins & cream cheese) &  Goat Cheese, Pesto & Arugula on Whole-Wheat.

photo 1

Unfortunately we sent the second bagel back as the goat cheese tasted slightly off.  That actually worked out well because the replacement bagel we ordered ended up being both of our favorite: Chicken Melt on Whole-Wheat (Open chicken bagel with olive, jalapeno, basil, tomato & mozzarella)

photo 3

Bagels aside I was certainly impressed with the rest of the menu: a number of salads, fresh juices, pastas, desserts, smoothies and most suprisngly: protein shakes.  This might be the first time I’ve ever come across “whey” on a menu in Mumbai…or a separate vegan menu and natural peanut butter on offer – not too shabby at all!  We also shared a “Power of Fibre Salad” (carrot, beet, sprouts, tomato, cucumber, lettuce & spinach) and a fresh ABC juice (apple, beetoot & carrot), both delicious.

frametastic-1

If The Bagel Shop was nearby, I’d definitely frequent it more often.  Then again, I said the same about Kofuku and I’ve gone back more often than not.  We bought some bagels to take home and I’m thinking French Toast Cinnamon Raisin Bagels might have to happen soon…is that a mouthful or what!

What’s your favorite bagel?  It’s a toss up between onion, cinnamon raisin & choc chip for me.

What’s your favorite bagel filler?  A bagel without cream cheese would just be wrong!

Lucie@FitSwissChick June 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Oh these bagels look delicious and that location sounds great! There is NO place in my town here where you can sit down and have a bagel, imagine this. Thanks God I fly to NY on Friday, so this problem will be solved. Definitely Whole Grain Seed or Blueberry Bagels – with egg and chicken! Or peanut butter and jelly…..hmmmm.

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

Ohh blueberry bagels sound awesome..please make sure to get your fair share during your trip to New York 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Confession: (and don’t hate me)… I’m not the biggest fan of bagels. I think they’re just too dense for me, and I’ve had a few bad bagel experiences in the past that didn’t help things much. If given the choice, I’ll always go for a toasted bread over a bagel, buuuuuut I have to admit that the chicken melt looks pretty fantastic. And a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese is almost tolerable 😉

Happy Monday, Khushboo!

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

It’s a good thing I like you a lot…otherwise you not liking bagels could be a major deal-breaker 😉

Sonal June 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Oh gosh I love bagels so much! Bandra has become so advanced since I left it! 😉 This place looks amazing! I love good ol’ smoked salmon and cream cheese 🙂 Yum.

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:36 am

Clearly you need to come back soon :)!

dixya| food, pleasure, and health June 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm

i love bagels it just depends on my mood i think on the type because i love whole wheat ones with cream cheese and honey mostly but savory ones with tomato, mozzarella, and spinach is another fav of mine. I have heard smoked salmon is good but never tried one yet.

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:36 am

Ohhh you have to try smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels- too.die.for

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 3, 2013 at 11:28 pm

That bagel melt looks amazing – I’ve eaten my fair share of bagels in my lifetime, but I don’t think I’ve ever had one in melt form. I can’t imagine saying this in any other context, but apparently it was a good thing that the goat cheese tasted off! 😉

Favourite bagel is blueberry. Especially with a thick layer of strawberry cream cheese – that is carb-y, fruity heaven right there.

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

Berries, cheese + doughy carbs = heavenly trifecta right there 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 3, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Anything with “melt” in the title is instantly good, right?? 😉

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

Except when it comes to ice cream 😉

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 7, 2013 at 3:26 am

Haha, so true! 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

OMG. I have a bagel obsession. I try not to have them too often or I get hooked. This place sounds amazing!! Do you know any good places in London to get bagels?

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:39 am

Ooh as lame-o as it sounds, the fresh bagels in the Waitrose/Sainsbury bakery sections are pretty awesome!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 4, 2013 at 3:47 am

I love bagels, although don’t eat them too often. When I can, I usually nosh on a pumpernickel bagel, but my absolute favorite is the Everything Bagel. If all bets are off, I’ll toast them and then top them with butter and cream cheese. Living dangerously, I tell ya.

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

Mmm I love pumpernickel bread..I bet it tastes even better in bagel form 🙂

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 4, 2013 at 4:33 am

Mmmmm you’re making me really miss some real, doughy bagels right now! Those sandwiches look completely delicious. My favorite bagel flavor was a toss up between cinnamon raisin and everything, depending on whether I was in a sweet or savory mood!

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

Ah I hope you manage to find some gluten-free bagels SOON!

Alexis @ Hummusapien June 4, 2013 at 4:39 am

Okay…not I really want a bagel. My fave flavor would have to be an everything bagel, and it would be so dreamy if some one would create a whole-wheat everything bagel! I love topping mine with peanut butter 🙂 PS that ABC juice sounds so refreshing!

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

We should consider taking on the task ourselves…I’m sure we could make big bucks out of a whole-wheat everything bagel 😉

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish June 4, 2013 at 5:35 am

French toast cinnamon bagels sound wonderful. Add cinnamon cream cheese, honey, and walnuts, and I think I’d be dreaming! Bagels were one of my favorite foods when I was young; my family would stop by our favorite shop, Noah’s, nearly every Sunday and pick up a fresh hot half dozen to be eaten throughout the week. They’d only last till Monday or Tuesday, though, which worked out well because by Friday we’d be craving them again. I’d almost always request sesame with cream cheese and smoked salmon, but I also loved cinnamon raisin with honey-walnut cream cheese. 🙂

The bagel sandwiches at The Bagel Shop look and sound fantastic – especially the open faced Chicken Melt. Yum!

Hope you had a great Monday, Khushboo! <3 xoxo

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

Ohh you are absolutely genius…cinnamon cream cheese with honey and walnuts on a bagel sounds like an cinnamon toast on steroids- heavenly :)!

Alex @ therunwithin June 4, 2013 at 5:48 am

I have always wanted to try a juice like that, I hope soon enough I can get a juice in me!

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

It’s awesome.

P June 4, 2013 at 5:50 am

This sounds like such a great find! My fav bagels are the “everything” bagels (onion, garlic, poppyseed all rolled into one :D)! I love dipping savory bagels in ketchup or mustard. Regular bagels taste great with Biscoff spread and obviously peanut butter and Nutella ;)!

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

My sister and I are obsessed with Biscoff biscuits…that spread wouldn’t stand a chance with us 😉

Jess June 4, 2013 at 9:14 am

Love bagels!!! They look so good! You go to some of the best restaurants! 🙂

Khushboo June 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Fortunately India is coming up in the restaurant department 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti June 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I really wish we had more time to explore Mumbai during our upcoming trip, especially the food! 🙂

I love everything bagels with cream cheese – nothing beats that combo! Glad you and your sister are getting to spend time together!

Khushboo June 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I’ve never tried an everything bagel but it sounds awesome!

Honey, What's Cooking June 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Mumbai sounds like so much more fun than Delhi… Delhi is just starting to come up… there are cute places, but I have to explore bagels in the Delhi when I visit. I so wanna visit Mumbai. These bagels look divine.. the best bagel sandwich I had was in Mexico, Mexican style, of course. My favorite additions are scallion/chive cream cheese or veggie cream cheese. I love everything from jalapenos to olives to sun dried tomatoes – NYC gives me ideas, it’s a bit nuts. 🙂

Khushboo June 5, 2013 at 9:43 am

I take it New Yorkers like their bagels… ;)!

Carrie June 5, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hey, love! Remember me! It’s been a while!!

Anywho… ho mah bagel! that thing is big and I LIKE IT. Your opening line in this post is amazing… made me giggle!

Khushboo June 6, 2013 at 8:54 am

Glad to see you back, Carrie- hope you’re well 🙂

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Annnnd now I’m craving a bagel. If the bagel is good I don’t really like anything but for it to be toasted with a little butter. I love the bread. 🙂

Khushboo June 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Carbs fo’ life 😉

Katy June 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I love bread but I don’t eat bagels as much as I did before. I do love and cannot resist croissants though!!

Khushboo June 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I ate a croissant..but I do have fond memories of ham & cheese croissants 😉

Allie June 13, 2013 at 2:07 am

Aw man, I was about to get all excited about a goat cheese bagel, bummer that it wasn’t any good! And yes, I’m a sucker for a good bagel. Specifically oat-y whole grain ones. Or pumpernickel. Mmm, pumpernickel bagels…