Salads & scones

by Khushboo on May 3, 2013

Hey guys!  Firstly a huge thanks to everyone who commented on my post on Monday about restaurants equating their dishes to the amount of exercise require to burn them off.  There were some great, thought-provoking responses and I think the general consensus is: Most people rather not know how many hours of walking each meal requires.

And speaking of restaurants, this week has been a yummy one….and the weekend hasn’t even kicked in!  Especially during this time of the year when the heat is awn, my appreciation for salads infinitely multiplies!  Am I right or am I right but how much better do salads taste when:

A) Someone else makes ‘em for you

B) There is no skimping on toppings

C) Both A & B

The Basilic might be one of my all-time favorite salads in Mumbai, courtesy of Suzette:

photo 1

This bad boy has a whole lot going on including lettuce, French beans, fresh & sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken, feta, caramelized onions, grilled mushrooms & zucchini, basil and French dressing…now THAT’s what I call a salad!  While Suzette’s organic buckwheat crepes are undoubtedly delicious, their salads are in a league of their own!

And you know what beats monstrous salads?  Holidays which fall mid-week!  I always thought Labor Day was only celebrated in the US but apparently it’s a public holiday in Mumbai too.  If I wasn’t already excited for my trip to London in the summer, High Tea at The Table on Wednesday did the trick:

photo 2

I tried their High Tea almost a year ago and it was even better this time around.  We stuck with the vegetarian menu which included the following sandwich options:

• Cucumber & cream cheese
  • Chevre & Kalamata olive spread
  • Sundried tomato pesto

Between the cute finger sandwiches, pastries and warm scones with lemon curd, cream and jam, it had England written all over it.  The only thing missing was a side of rain and truth be told, I can always do without it!

What’s the best meal you’ve eaten all your week?

What’s your favorite High Tea item?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I’m with you on the salads – I love it when restaurants pile on the toppings! Unfortunately in my experience, most places tend to skimp. 😛

Ahh your high tea looks amazing. I had a high tea party with my mom, sister, grandma and aunt last summer (we do things like that when we’re bored haha) and we had so much fun. The scones were definitely my favourite!

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

HAHA I wanna come and hang out with you and your family- sounds so fun :)!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Celebrating Labor Day with high tea in London? Sounds like a complete fantasy to me! haha Sundried tomato pesto sounds absolutely delicious 🙂

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Ah I wish this High Tea was in London..that would have just been the icing on the cake (or cream on the scone?);)!

Parita @ myinnershakti May 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm

S is for summer, salads, and smoothies! 🙂

I haven’t mentioned it on the blog yet but Vishnu and I are coming to India in August. I’m not sure how my in-laws worked the ticket, BUT I think my MIL mentioned that we have a pretty long layover in Mumbai! Maybe we can meet up!!

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm

OMG keep me posted if Mumbai is on the agenda, even for a layover…would be awesome to meet up! 🙂

Alex @ therunwithin May 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm

that salad is the type of salad I like to eat. lots of great add ins making it more than just veggies

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm

A salad with just veggies is tragic ;)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Definitely on restaurant salads that are overloaded with toppings – so good!

I’ve never had any sort of high tea experience…I should get on that as soon as possible!

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm

As a fellow tea lover, I think you’d love it :)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Aww man… I’ve never had the pleasure of experiencing high tea – I think I’m missing out! I love finger sandwiches (the cucumber and cream cheese combo is amazing!!), but I have to admit that I’ve never had a scone before. In fact, I never actually knew what a scone was before I started reading blogs. Apparently it’s edible and quite delicious 😉 As for the best meal I’ve eaten all week, I’m going to go with the dinner I had at my parents’ last weekend: baked parmesan chicken with roasted kasha and mushroom gravy. Swoooon.

Happy Friday, Khushboo!

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Cucumber and cream cheese is my favorite too- simple yet never gets old :)! Do your parents have room for one more? That dinner sounds delish!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 3, 2013 at 9:36 pm

You had me at caramelized onions and feta! The sun-dried tomatoes are the icing on the cake (err, salad). Gosh, The Basilic sounds amazing! When I visit you in Mumbai, let’s meet at Suzette first, k? Good. 🙂

I had high tea a few times while I was living in London, and fell in love with scones and clotted cream. I’ve always loved finger sandwiches as well, however I associate them with my family’s annual Christmas Eve party more than I do with tea. 😉 When I was little, my favorites were ham + butter (ehh), and cream cheese + cucumber.

Happy Friday, my dear! Have a wonderful weekend! <3 xoxo

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Would it be terrible if I admit that the ham & butter sandwiches sound pretty darn delicious ;)?

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Once the weather turns, I crave salads too. As a matter of fact, I just bought romaine lettuce, kale and baby swiss chard at the farmers market and I already have spinach at home. Oops, I may have gotten carried away.
Those sandwiches look adorable and I love the mix of spreads inside them. High tea indeed.

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

You’re going to be a lean, green, salad machine by the end of this weekend 😉

honeywhatscooking May 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I think the best thing I ate this week was my Mushroom Pasta… since my husband didn’t eat any, I practically had like 3 bowls of leftovers. So yummy and I dressed it up with hot sauces. Favorite High Tea item would most definitely be the SCONES, and they better be warm! Love the sandwiches, but I most look forward to the scones. Happy Friday!

Khushboo May 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Mmm mushroom pasta- clearly your hubby’s loss 😉

Brittany May 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

High tea sounds like so much fun! The best meal I ate was last night and I IGed it!! It was the most amazing BBQ bowl of goodness and I cannot wait to blog about it! Happy weekend!

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 9:38 am

Your BBQ tofu looked amazing- can’t wait to check out the recipe 🙂

dixya@food, pleasure, and health May 4, 2013 at 12:36 am

loaded salads always phenomenal 🙂 I love the variety of sandwiches – sundried tomato pesto is a MUST. I would probably go for a scone

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

I normally prefer the sweeter items like scones but I couldn’t get enough of the finger sandwiches this time 🙂

Sophia May 4, 2013 at 1:26 am

Agree on A,B and C salads are always better when someone else chops and then generously tops it for you! London will be so exciting! Have fun and make sure you try fish and chips for us 🙂 my favourite high-tea item is cucumber sandwiches for sure- yum and the smoked salmon sandwiches are lovely too, oh and the scones- I love real butter scones with jam! Best meal this week was my Nonnas leftover chicken schnitzel on a fresh baguette with avocado, tomato and lettuce- fantastico xo Sophia

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’ve never actually tried a schnitzel but would love to soon…and that combo sounds rather ideal 🙂

Sophia May 4, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ooh my nonna uses leftover focaccia or ciabatta or baguette to crumb them and they are so delicious fried in butter or whatever fat you like! Xo Sophia

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 4, 2013 at 1:45 am

Hey, the weather in London has been amaaaazing for the past 3 weeks – no rain, endless sun and 15 degrees! What month are you coming??

I’ve never had High Tea. Shameful. I do love a good salad, though. I’ve been on a major salad kick lately – heck, two of my three meals today were salads!

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 10:04 am

Haha every rainless day in London is worth celebrating! I’m there end June for about 2 months – will defo keep you posted :)! And for what it’s worth, I’ve never actually done High Tea in London!!

Allie May 4, 2013 at 2:48 am

Haha, factor A makes ANY meal better! I love cooking, but, man, things just taste richer when someone else puts in the effort 😉 And I can’t wait for cucumber season for the reason of cuke + cream cheese sandwiches alone!

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 10:07 am

Oh airhead question coming your way- cucumber season exists?? I thought it was an all-year veggie!

Sophia May 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm

If you have a garden it grows best in the summer time 🙂 you are a gogeous city girl! We grow a lot of our food- my nonna is a market-gardener- to everything there is a season 😉 love Sophia

Allie May 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Yep, seconding above–it’s an early summer veggie here in Tennessee!

P May 4, 2013 at 3:42 am

I’ve never had high tea, but there is a tea restaurant nearby and I would love to go to it sometime. My sis went last summer for her friend’s b-day and loved the experience!

Khushboo May 4, 2013 at 10:08 am

You should definitely try it out!

Ameena May 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I definitely love the scones…those are my favorite part!

I love that you can get such good tea in Mumbai! Looks delicious.

Have a great weekend.

Khushboo May 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I’m pretty impressed of the High Tea standard here too 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 6, 2013 at 6:05 am

Salads almost ALWAYS taste better when they come from a restaurant salad bar, as opposed to at home! I cannot figure out why that is, but it frustrates me! 🙁 haha

Khushboo May 6, 2013 at 9:31 am

Haha me thinks it’s because salads at restaurants don’t require any prep/wash-up ;)!